[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Euclid's elements

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: >.png (17KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
>.png
17KB, 640x480px
Is Euclid's elements something worth reading for someone interested in the history of mathematics and science, or is it just a waste of time?
>>
>>8052278
Depends why you want to read it.
>>
It is one of the most widely read texts in human history for a reason. Any serious student of mathematics should read it at least once. Enjoy.
>>
>>8052511
>It is one of the most widely read texts in human history
So is Twilight.
>>
>>8052527
I've read both and must give the edge to Elements as being the more useful of the two.
>>
File: Euclid_Vat_ms_no_190_I_prop_47.jpg (369KB, 1920x1179px) Image search: [Google]
Euclid_Vat_ms_no_190_I_prop_47.jpg
369KB, 1920x1179px
>>8052278

Yes, the Elements are worth reading, not only for the history, but also for the mathematical content itself.

Arguments are presented over a page or three, usually with some formulas and/or diagrams, resulting in legitimately established theorems. Terminology can be confusing at first, but the determined reader who is willing to look things up and think for himself, can work through the arguments and come to agree with them, by understanding them. These theorems, in turn, are then usefully applied to other areas, frequently establishing more theorems. The body of established knowledge is (metaphorically) greater than the sum of its parts, being above mere "stamp collecting", there is an organized, un-confused project (or textbook) which gives rise to a definite body of knowledge, based on quantity, shape, reason, and logic.

Take a good look at this picture, and then re-read the above paragraph. Then, ask yourself whether there are any fundamental differences between what Euclid was doing, and what we do today. The answer is no. Euclid is not a meme, he got it all right.

And I say this as a person who has an interest in the history of math and have been through some comparitively dull historical documents.
>>
>>8052601
>>8052511
Not OP, but I just rented Euclid's Element's from my university's library. Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>8052527
Twilight was popular for maybe five years, ten tops. Euclid's Elements on the other hand was the state of the art geometry text book for thousands of years, even until the 19th century.
Euclid was the founder of the axiomatic method and was more rigorous than most mathematicians until Hilbert.

So in conclusion,
Elements > Twilight
>>
Bump4u
>>
>>8052278

It's worth a read only to get the feel of it, you know, how mathematics was before schoolkids were pampered by "find x (if you cannot, x=1!!!!<3)"
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.