[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Explain different types of infinity to me, /sci/.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 1459317531006.jpg (745KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1459317531006.jpg
745KB, 1920x1280px
Explain different types of infinity to me, /sci/.
>>
>>8048797
Assume the axiom of infinite. You now have a valid system for saying two infinite sets have different cardinality.

You can also assume the logical opposite and the logic will still work.
>>
>>8048804
So, in theory, one could assume that literally every conceivable thing exists, due to the nature of infinity?
>>
>>8048804
>axiom of infinity
>>
>>8048797
There are countable infinities, such as the real numbers. You could list them, even though it's an infinitely long list. 1, 2, 3.....
Then there are uncountable infinities, such as the quantity of decimal numbers between 0 and 1. You could never write them in a list, you could never know where to start after 0. Is the next number in that list 0.000000001? Or 0.000000000000000000001? You will never be able to list the next number.
Countable and uncountable infinities are two types I believe, and there are more complex types which fall into one of those two categories.
>>
>>8048809
I think your first sentence should be
>There are countable infinities, such as the Natural numbers
>>
>>8048809
>You could list them
This is left as an exercise to the reader
>>
File: 3453.jpg (116KB, 532x800px) Image search: [Google]
3453.jpg
116KB, 532x800px
Infinity: The inability for a fundamental part to decay into smaller parts, thus rendering it infinite in lifetime.
>>
>>8048806
1. That isn't the axiom of infinity.
2. That has nothing to do with the axiom of infinity.
3. That has nothing to do with ZFC, from which the axiom of infinity comes.
4. That has nothing to do with math at all.
5. That has nothing to do with infinity.
6. No. Not even in theory.
>>
>>8048797
Well there's + and -
>>
>>8048814
Yeah you're absolutely right thanks for the correction
>>
How can real numbers be more than rational numbers if there's always a rational between two reals? this shit is driving me stupid
>>
>>8048797
infinite hotel vid from [spoiler]tedx[/spoiler] is actually pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj3_KqkI9Zo
>>
>>8048988
\infty=-\infty
>>
>>8050363
Because there is no bijection between the natural numbers and the real numbers.
>>
>>8050363
Because there are more infinitely long continued fractions than there are finite continued fractions.

OR SO WE THINK. Look up the continuum hypothesis.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.