[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Venusian Moon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

How different would human history, science, theology, etc have been if Venus had a moon which was visible with the naked eye from Earth?
>>
>>8038543
There would be some text describing another point of light in the sky.

That's it.
>>
>>8038549
But think of it deeper. There would be proof against a geocentric universe for literally everybody to see. Surely that would carry some implications.
>>
>>8038543
interesting to think about, but there really isn't any way to answer your question OP
>>
>>8038543
If Venus had a moon visible by unaided eyes from Earth then Venus would most likely had working tectonics which in turn means temperature would have been midler and there might have been life which may have invaded Earth and theology would have been something else.

So, one moon plus a lot of plausible ifs you get quite the dramatic result.
>>
That would be a big moon. Like really big. Shit venus would be a fucking double planet at that point.

Although maybe if we have a small moon venus would get periodically dimmer and brighter if it was in just the right orbit.
>>
>>8038543
Without a large moon to stabilize it's rotation Venus never experiences regular climate like Earth.
If the history of the planet had been more fortuitous we might have had to contended with a second species in our star system now.
>>
>>8039086
>plausible ifs

fucking lol

prove to me that life can exist outside earth

(don't bother replying)
>>
>>8039180
>I like typing but cannot stand to be caught out.
OK
>>
>>8038555

How would that disprove geocentricism?
>>
>>8040641
The moon orbits Venus, not the earth. It is the same work Galileo did to support heliocentrism, he had found a moon which orbits Jupiter, not Earth.

>current year
>not knowing commonly known history
>>
>>8038555
Maybe, but more likely they'd still start out believing in a geocentric universe and just make up some elaborate story for why those 2 points of light act like they do.
>>
>>8042145
Well, what kind of explanation could that be?

With a sufficiently large orbital radius you could see the effect of light speed so you could determine that the moon transited in front of Venus and also would be eclipsed by Venus and therefore would have to orbit it.

Galilean moons have a radii of about 1 M km making for about 6 seconds time difference.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.