[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

LHC Releases 27TB of LHC data

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

http://cms.web.cern.ch/news/cms-releases-new-batch-research-data-lhc
>>
Thanks Anon!
>>
>>8025091
>inverse femtobarn
how do they come up with this shit lol
>>
How does colliding two particles generate so much data? I mean, don't you either see a third particle (the Higg's) or not?
>>
>>8025131
lol. A collision is an extremely complex event. Detectors like CMS and ATLAS are the most complicated machines ever built; their different constituents generate tens of terabytes of data per second. Then the data is typically pre-treated with purpose-built FPGA's (which happen to be the faster in the world), and after that by the LHC computing grid, which is also the largest in the world. It's not a Arduino with if(Higgs) DigitalWrite(LedPin, high). This "big data" hype that has been going on in the industry lately has mostly been invented at CERN to treat LHC collisions.

The data they just released is actually a condensed summary of what has actually been going on.
>>
>>8025162
Thanks, I was joking but that's terribly interesting. It also explained why my experiment, consisting of two baseballs, each with a proton on the end and an arduino at the collision point failed to yield anything more than a broken window.
>>
>>8025162
>a Arduino with if(Higgs) DigitalWrite(LedPin, high)
Kekk'd. I actually once had a discussion with someone who, broadly, thought that it worked like that.
>>
>>8025131

To put >>8025162 less obnoxiously and to actually answer your question, the LHC measures electrical imbalances caused by the particles created in the collision. It does this a lot of times per second to track the path of the particles. There are a lot of different types of particles created in the LHC and they all have to be measured in different ways, so you have a lot of machines generating a lot of data a lot of times per second.

Then a computer takes all the data and uses it to make a picture, which also generates a lot of data to make up a 3D path model.

Now consider how many collisions the LHC has to cause per day. I believe the SI unit is a metric fuckton.

As for seeing the Higgs or not, we might never see the Higgs from the LHC. Someone dun goofed the maths and the potential range of the Higgs is slightly higher than the LHC can generate. The idea behind collisions is that you speed up loads of particles to add energy, then smack them in to each other. When the energy they had is released it can form in to a particle of corresponding energy. Here's a thing I googled.

http://particleadventure.org/hadrons.html
>>
>>8025179
to be honest, science reporting of the Higgs detection was generally pretty terrible. But at the very least it made the headlines and caught public attention
>>
>>8025091
What is it actually useful for? The only ones using LHC data (universities, etc), already had it for long. Who else will use this?
>>
>>8025091
>27TB

That was last time in 2014. This time it is 300TB.

Too bad it is all worthless data made by people who are trying to stay relevant and get more funding.

Imagine if we turned all this funding and scientists loose on something like infrastruture and energy usage. Or, at the very least, colonizing the moon or something slightly more useful.
>>
>>8025658
Playing with magnets and currents was as useful 200 years ago.
>>
>>8025679
We've reach the end of scientific breakthroughs that are meaningful to humanity. We need to start putting it to actual good use now.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.