[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't YOU have Solar?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: solar-energy-obama.jpg (113KB, 1000x359px) Image search: [Google]
solar-energy-obama.jpg
113KB, 1000x359px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq-Cyw9oJ7w
>>
>>8021266
In college and poor
>>
solar is still a scam

Anyone recommending solar either owns solar companys stock or is paid to shill it
>>
because i will never buy a house
not that i don't want to - by the time i'm done paying off my loans i'll probably be 55
and possibly dead
>>
>>8021266
>uncle is one of those doomsday preppers, pretty smart knows lots, DIYer
>recycles electronics for a living
>spends like 25k on panels, 8k on an inverter, bunch of other shit
>makes his own power cells out of laptop batteries
>all to have the ability to never use AC not be able to watch tv while the stove is on in the morning
>his fucking cells catch on fire and he cant fucking put it out because crazy battery acid shit
>has to call firefighters and nearly burns his house down

How the fuck is this viable? Sure you could have it professionally installed but then it would cost way more. He's not incompetent either he's built all kinds of shit. What about sunlight availibility? He lives near Tampa, fl which has thunderstorms about 100 days out of the year second highest in the country apparently. Last summer it rained for nearly 3 weeks straight.

This is just a bullshit fad. If I installed them right now and started popping out kids in a bigass house in the fucking desert then I would save money. They're a status symbol at this point. You will NOT save money
>>
>>8021266
i do, now fuck off
>>
>>8021266
Fucking shill.
>>
>>8021335
>solar is still a scam
No.
If you buy a decent inverter, panels and batteries they'll perform almost exactly as advertised. Whether or not that works out as economical depends on your situation.

>>8021385
>makes his own power cells out of laptop batteries
>has to call firefighters and nearly burns his house down
>How the fuck is this viable?
Actually cough up the money for real components, rather than ducttaping whatever shit you happen to own together.
>>
>>8021266
Absurdly expensive for what you get.

I've considered buying property on a river to power everything with a waterwheel though.
>>
>>8021385
>builds his own nuclear reactor
>poisons himself
>put on terrorist list
>blows up his entire street
>How is this viable?
>>
>>8021266
Mains is cheaper.
>>
>>8021385
The trick is to limit the need for storage. When you have the electric power you use it to run your fridge and freezer to the max so that these maintain the cold throughout the night. Same with air condition, use phase change thermal storage mass to maintain temperature over a longer period.

Excess electricity can be used to electrolyse water but DO be careful about hydrogen storage or there will be nothing left for the firefighters to extinguish.
>>
A passive house is a better investment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive_house
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.