[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Leap forward for Gene Editing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: tumblr_mp19q7mZv41qhwdcyo1_1280.jpg (316KB, 1280x859px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mp19q7mZv41qhwdcyo1_1280.jpg
316KB, 1280x859px
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature17946.html

Current genome-editing technologies introduce double-stranded (ds) DNA breaks at a target locus as the first step to gene correction1, 2. Although most genetic diseases arise from point mutations, current approaches to point mutation correction are inefficient and typically induce an abundance of random insertions and deletions (indels) at the target locus resulting from the cellular response to dsDNA breaks1, 2. Here we report the development of ‘base editing’, a new approach to genome editing that enables the direct, irreversible conversion of one target DNA base into another in a programmable manner, without requiring dsDNA backbone cleavage or a donor template. We engineered fusions of CRISPR/Cas9 and a cytidine deaminase enzyme that retain the ability to be programmed with a guide RNA, do not induce dsDNA breaks, and mediate the direct conversion of cytidine to uridine, thereby effecting a C→T (or G→A) substitution. The resulting ‘base editors’ convert cytidines within a window of approximately five nucleotides, and can efficiently correct a variety of point mutations relevant to human disease. In four transformed human and murine cell lines, second- and third-generation base editors that fuse uracil glycosylase inhibitor, and that use a Cas9 nickase targeting the non-edited strand, manipulate the cellular DNA repair response to favour desired base-editing outcomes, resulting in permanent correction of ~15–75% of total cellular DNA with minimal (typically ≤1%) indel formation. Base editing expands the scope and efficiency of genome editing of point mutations.
>>
File: church.preview.jpg (162KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
church.preview.jpg
162KB, 450x300px
Because of “the cell’s desperate attempts” to mend its genome, said Harvard University biologist George Church, “what often passes as ‘genome editing’ would more appropriately be called ‘genome vandalism,’” as the cell inserts and deletes random bits of DNA where CRISPR cuts it.

Because the new version of CRISPR avoids that mess, it “offers a huge step forward,” said Church, who was not involved in the discovery, and whose 2013 paper helped launch the CRISPR frenzy. “It is arguably the most clever CRISPR gadget to date.”

Harvard University biochemist David Liu and post-doctoral fellow Alexis Komor, who led the work, have filed a provisional patent application on their invention, which changes one-letter misspellings in DNA called point mutations. Liu is a consultant to and cofounder of Editas Medicine, a genome-editing company in Cambridge, Mass., that went public in February. Church is also a cofounder of Editas.

“Most known human genetic variations associated with disease are point mutations,” said Liu. “Current gene-editing methods aren’t particularly good at correcting those.”

The problem addressed by the new technique is not the usual one discussed with CRISPR, namely, off-target effects. That refers to changing a region of the genome other than the intended one. While early genome-editing experiments had that problem, there has been “tremendous progress” in fixing it, said Dr. Keith Joung of Massachusetts General Hospital.
>>
CRISPR is kinda like the future that 5 years ago nobody thought they would see for another 50 years. And it's already being made better.

It's too bad we know so little about what to change in our DNA to make ourselves more healthy. And even if we did, crazy people would be lining up to make it illegal.
>>
>>8019514
The thing is actually being able to edit is going to make our understanding grow much faster.

There is a reason China has cloning factories.
>>
I'd edit her genes
>>
I'm so happy that by the time I'm an old man there will be genetic cures for whatever will be making me sick by then.

This is based on nothing other than my own desires and predictions but I feel pretty safe in saying so.

CRISPR is going to keep my both cornea and dick turgid and clean.
>>
They people pursuing this should be lined up and shot.
>>
File: taeyeon-lucu-rambutnya.jpg (27KB, 443x425px) Image search: [Google]
taeyeon-lucu-rambutnya.jpg
27KB, 443x425px
>>8019631
back to x
>>
>>8019631
>cloning is already banned in the west
>plans to ban genome editing?

I feel sorry for all the biologists who have to put up with this stupid shit.
>>
>>8019506

>patenting it

Fucking sellout """"""""scientists"""""""" these days
>>
>>8019631
Go live on a desert island you dumb fuck
>>
>>8019831
>Real scientist should live like monks sworn to poverty and celibacy.
I see a problem with recruitment to science these days.
>>
Too bad if your genes are shit. Any genetical modification should be banned and any """scientist""" jailed.
>>
>>8020392
You are fucking useless and will not amount to anything ever. Get out of /sci/ and stay out
>>
>>8019504
CRISPR makes me rock hard.

Can't wait to dissactivate myostatin and get shredded while laying around all day.
>>
/pol/ assblasted because adding intelligence genes and removing aggression genes from blacks will lead to ubermensch
>>
>>8020774
As a poltard i admit i got a cognitive dissonance thinking about it.
>>
>>8020774
You'd have a black "white guy" with lower peak strength and higher peak agility.

What's the benefit?
>>
>>8020797
We are all going to be equal, i.e. clones.
>>
>>8019514
We've identified intelligence genes.

But of course our dumb ape species will just stand around with thumbs up our asses for 10-20 years before we do anything.
>>
>>8020805
No, there will lots of competition and continuous improvement, and there will be more diversity, not less. Each clique will choose to go its own direction genetically.
>>
>>8020853
or, more realistically, people will freak out and ban it.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.