[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Big Banger

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: big banger.png (415KB, 2560x1978px) Image search: [Google]
big banger.png
415KB, 2560x1978px
Can someone explain the big bang to me?
I've read the wiki article but I'm a bit confused.

So the universe exploded out from a single point? But then the wiki article states that
>In the most common models the universe was filled homogeneously and isotropically with a very high energy density and huge temperatures and pressures and was very rapidly expanding and cooling.

so it was homogeneous as the big bang happened? then expanded and cooled as it exploded?

I also seem to remember reading somewhere that the universe came into existence everywhere and wasn't an "explosion"
>>
for ~300,000 years, things fizzled into existence throughout all possible, physical space.

Now, things have condensed. It will only get worse as things won't stop accelerating.

We are some of the first kids in space.
>>
>>8015373
You have a point. Using your picture it is point 0. In this point is a lot of energy and matter. All of this energy and matter can't fit in such a tiny point so it explores out. It then follows the rest of your spectrum on the picture. Try to think of it like if you forced a lot of stuff into a suitcase that couldn't hold all that stuff.
>>
>>8015384
So the universe is expanding from a singular point though?
>>
>>8015386
It just bothers me that the universe is expanding but it came into being everywhere at once
>>
>>8015387
The universe is not expanding from a single place.

http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/universe/uni_shape.html
>>
>>8015387
basically yes it's expanding in every direction, expanding even faster than light
>>
>>8015392
but universe is so large that we could say the center of your is where you are, and you are surrounded by an event horizon that we could call your observable universe. So let's say you travel with a space ship
And earth gets out of your event horizon, you will never be able to get on earth again. It's hard to explain with words I'm not a good teacher sorry
>>
>>8015396
>>8015398
So based on that link I shouldn't be thinking of the universe as a sphere expanding in all directions? Its flat expanding in all directions faster than light?

So to summarize the universe came into being everywhere. Then it is expanding from somewhere faster than the speed of light? I guess I don't understand how there is an "edge" if it came into being everywhere yet no middle.
>>
>>8015398
I thought nothing traveled faster than light? What constitutes "The universe" to allow it to be considered expanding FTL.
>>
>>8015410
no it's the whole volume that's like stretching itself
Like the vacuum it's growing by some milimeter for every like 100km but there's so much vacuum that's the size the universe grow or expand ends up being huge
>>
>>8015410
we can't possibly see the edge because like I said we are "stuck" inside an event horizon and we can't see outside of it, that's what I meant by center of it
>>
>>8015415
speed of light is a constant, and the expansion is not travelling it's bending space itself, making it bigger
>>
>>8015373
>I also seem to remember reading somewhere that the universe came into existence everywhere and wasn't an "explosion"

If the universe is infinite in size then it came into existence everywhere, otherwise it was a singular point. All we can see is the observable universe.
>>
>>8015424
>>8015419
ok this makes sense if its not expanding in the sense that I'm thinking of.
What would be a good metaphor for how the universe is expanding then?

>>8015424
when space is bent to make it bigger is it just creating empty space? is that the idea? where does it bend at? Everywhere at once very slowly?

This all seems to point to heat death as the end of the universe right?
>>
>>8015386
>In this point is a lot of energy and matter

No there isn't, it started from a single quantum fluctuation

http://youtu.be/zO2vfYNaIbk?t=50s
http://youtu.be/IcxptIJS7kQ?t=33m
>>
>>8015435
so for example there's frequency that are so far away they got bended and changed frequency, having longer intervals. It's stretching? space I'd say

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_death_of_the_universe
If you read a lil about thermodynamics you'll learn about entropy, something very interesting

Here's also some theories of stages of the expanding universe, you can read it, It's also really interesting
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_of_an_expanding_universe#Dark_Era
>>
>>8015466

HOW did anything change, fluctuate, explode, do anything at all, if time did not exist before the Big Bang?

If a random fluctuation caused all of this, how were fluctuations occurring without time passing?
>>
>>8015410
you can imagine it as a 4 dimensional balloon (with the surface beeing our 3 dimensions)
As you blow up the balloon, the surface gets bigger, it expands in all direction, yet there is no centre of the universe.
>>
>>8015632
Well, seems like time existed then.
>>
>>8015657
Not according to Hawking.
>>
>>8015663
Too bad for him. Big Bang happened, something changed for it to happen, thus time.
>>
File: 1457841801765.jpg (142KB, 417x558px) Image search: [Google]
1457841801765.jpg
142KB, 417x558px
A poorly constructed theory consisting of misinterpreted 'cosmic microwave background' data and disregard for non-cosmological red shifting not to mention an over enthusiasm to explain everything in the universe in terms of gravity and only gravity resulting in such things as 'dark matter' and black holes both of which are only interesting by products of incorrect mathematical models taken too far
>>
>>8015410
There isn't an edge. The universe is either the 3D analogue of a sphere, plane, or hyperbola (depending on the curvature of space).

Imagine a sphere growing larger while the objects on it with mass stay the same size. Observe that the distance between distant objects grows. That's what the expansion of the universe is like.

Observe also that the sphere was never a single point. It was just an extremely tiny sphere. The hypothetical "point" at the beginning of time is actually a paradoxical notion.
>>
>>8015632
All the fluctuation comes afterwards.
>>
>>8015387
https://youtu.be/DsXsJtOQnTY

Vsauce actually explains it quite well
>>
>>8015673
>>>/x/
The big bang predicted the CMB, it is definitely cosmological unlike some would suggest. Try explaining the SZ effect with a local CMB, I dare you.
>>
>>8015373
Initially, you have the universe of infinite energy density. This is because there is infinite energy in the universe. Space time expands rapidly from this point, denoting time "beginning".

If we consider the idea of entropy, (randomness in a system/the amount of unusable energy) we know from thermodynamics that entropy can only increase. Conversely, if we consider time as a byproduct of entropy increasing, we see that the initial conditions of the universe were at minimum entropy, and the idea of time "beginning," or the big bang theory can be thought of as entropy increasing from its minimum.

Continuing on, spacetime expands at a very fast rate homogeneously, meaning that the space inside this infinite energy is growing. The universe "cools" down, or rather, energy density decreases. This happens everywhere at the same time, so the density is constant over the area, just decreasing.

As the energy density decreases, our fundamental forces (Strong, weak, electromagnetism, gravity) eventually become distinct. As spacetime expands, quantum fluctuations cause spontaneous spacetime symmetry breaking, which forces the energy to clump together. As the energy clumps together, particles and their fields start to form and become influenced by the forces.

Because the energy density is still so high at this point, the formation of any particle also forms its anti-particle, from which they annihilate. This goes on until the universe decides in favor of particles, rather than anti-particles. Following this, the universe is cooling down to a point which confines these particles into quarks, which then in term form the first atomic nuclei. When this occurs, free electrons are snatched up by the atoms. After this, photons were allowed to travel freely, which creates the cosmic microwave background.

That's the first 380,000 years, after that it's history. (ref: inflation theory, Alan Guth, inflationary cosmology, recombination, photon decoupling)
>>
>>8016204
(By the way, saying the universe is one of these is kind of a simplification; the universe may have nontrivial homotopy groups. E.g. the universe could be a 3D analogue of a donut; this would be another possible shape with positive curvature. But the visualization with the sphere is a fine one. The main point is that there was never a single "point" in any mathematically comprehensible way, but rather asymptotically unbounded energy density as we look back in time.)
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.