[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Electrical Engineers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: 1460178946868.gif (970KB, 500x382px) Image search: [Google]
1460178946868.gif
970KB, 500x382px
Any EEs here? Can you recommend me a program for drawing electric schematics?

Additionally, is there some place where I can search for the damn pieces of an schematic?
>>
>>8015063
pSPICE

>search for the damn pieces of an schematic?
if you mean models for the components, the manufacturers will usually provide a SPICE model on their website.
>>
>>8015073
>SPICE
I'm not looking for a simulator though. Just something that lets draw schematics. Is pSPICE good for that too?

And I mean that I have some electric schematics on hand (on paper) and I want to find out what some of the symbols are.
>>
>>8015078
yup, pSPICE comes with a pretty sick GUI front end.

>I want to find out what some of the symbols are.
do you mean that you see for example a transistor symbol you don't know what it means? if that's the case then I can't help you...maybe pick up an electronics book lol.
>>
>>8015084
No, I mean I see some weird symbol I've never seen in my life and the guy who made the schematics didn't bother to name it.

It's a very specific symbol and it has something to do with hydraulics (of which I don't know the symbology at all).
>>
>>8015090
I'm afraid that this scenario has never happened to me so I cant help you. Why are you interested in this specific circuit if you don't know what it does?

also if you post the pic I might be able to help
>>
File: Screenshot 2016-04-18 21.01.59.png (64KB, 1920x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2016-04-18 21.01.59.png
64KB, 1920x1039px
>>8015094
I am afraid this is the most I can share, since I think this is supposed to be confidential shit.

I know what it does. It electrically operates a valve that's usually operated manually with levers. But I don't know specifically what it is so I can't look up the datasheet to learn how it works.
>>
>>8015109
I want to say it resembles a solenoid but I honestly haven't seen a symbol like that before.

Your best bet is finding the manufacturer and checking their website.
>>
You could try the freeware version of Diptrace just to create schematics.
>>
>>8015132
I feared so. My professor couldn't recognize the damn thing either.

By the way, by pSPICE did you mean the OrCAD package?

>>8015138
Thanks.

I'm gonna try all I can find and stick with the one I like the most.
>>
>>8015155
>by pSPICE did you mean the OrCAD package?
yup

I hear good things about LTSpice as well but we get pSPICE for free as well so...
>>
about to finish my freshman year here, I'm having trouble figuring out what I should minor in. Do any of you have any recommendations or links you care to share that will help me decide? Thanks.

Also, how important is it to have a youtube channel to put projects in for employers to see.
>>
>>8015063
> EE meme
BigWilly plz go :^)
>>
>>8015063
latex with the circuit plugin thingy
>>
>>8015174
wtf
>>
>>8015174
>latex
No way. It has that too? How does it even work?
>>
>>8015063
Don't know how experienced you are, but if you're freshman-junior, circuitlab should be enough
>>
>>8015175
>>8015178
https://www.latex-tutorial.com/tutorials/advanced/latex-circuitikz/
>>
>>8015188
That's not really gonna work for all the stuff I have to do, though it does make my life easier for doing other stuff, so thanks.

>>8015181
I'm actually a senior, but I'm a complete noob when it comes to drawing schematics. I rarely ever had to do more than simulate stuff (for which I used Proteus), and the schematics I've drawn so far were simple enough I managed with just Paint, Gimp or OpenOffice Draw.

The work this time around is quite complex, though, so I'd rather use something that's not entirely graphic.
>>
Eagle. It sucks but it works. Pirate bay.
>>
>>8015163
In all honesty, pick up a minor in the Humanities section that interests you.

History of X, Philosophy, Linguistics, whatever piques your interest.

Too many STEM majors graduate with little in the way of critical thinking skills.
>>
>>8015218
Thanks, albeit I'm trying to stay in the legal side of things when it comes to licenses. I'll remember in case everything else were to fail, though.
>>
>>8015227
I feel like this is bait but ill take it as a serious recommendation. thank you anon. unfortunately, at my uni there are only certain subjects I can minor in (business, math, physics, cs, technology are the ones i remember)
>>
>>8015313
Minors are supposed to be stuff that you're interested in, the way I see it.

Of course, I don't actually like the Humanities at all, it's not a good idea to go out of your way to pick them.
>>
>>8015332
>I don't actually like the Humanities at all
if you don't*

I have no idea how that happened.
>>
KiCAD is pretty decent for drawing schematics. I've become used to the workflow for it and the documentation is pretty solid. It's open source so there aren't any limitations on board size or number of components. Plus you won't have to pirate it, if that sort of thing bothers you.

One thing that I like about it in particular is how easy it is to create a new component. That, and how schematic components aren't tied to the physical component if you are planning on making a pcb. In other words, if you had a 2n3904 in your schematic, you would have to pick whether it's physical footprint was a to-92 or sot-23 before you could make the pcb. It's tedious but very flexible.
>>
>>8015347
Thanks for the rec.

It's not so much that pirating it bothers me (I'm a student after all, I obviously can't afford to pay for anything), but my university can get pretty anal about it, so it's kind of a last resort.

Since I'm not making PCBs of my current project, the latter is not really a problem.

In case anyone's wondering, the schematic is a wiring diagram for a relatively large machine, so there's actually few electronic elements. The bulk of it is relays, switches and transformers. A fuckton of them.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.