[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Time Perception

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: 11202012191343-ei-brainclock.jpg (50KB, 675x320px) Image search: [Google]
11202012191343-ei-brainclock.jpg
50KB, 675x320px
If our mind was to process information faster would time go by faster or slower?
>>
>asking comparatives for an incomparable situation
>>
>>8012250
time passes at a stable rate of 1s/s for everyone. if we could process information faster then we would make faster decisions. if you want to say time moving at a different "speed" you need a temporal dimension external to "our" "time"
>>
faster. like flies make those computations much faster due to their shorter circuits and less complex computations, so they're said to experience time 40 times slower than us humans. So whenever a fly sees you striking, it sees you very slow motion and has a lot of time to think it through.
>>
>>8012895

but I can still kill a fly when I swing it really fast

humans 1
flys 0
>>
>>8012862
adrenaline and drugs like stimulants can make you perceive as though time is moving slower
>>
>>8012928
their bodies are not faster than your hand swing. but theoretically flies can do a mathematical calculation 40 times faster than humans
>>
>>8012967
citation needed
>>
I believe so, when I did lsd, every few minutes felt like hours because of how overworked my brain was.
>>
>>8012969
source : my ass
its pretty reliable though
>>
>>8012250
Slower, don't listen to these faggots.
>>
>>8012966
it only makes you think so afterwards. there was an experiment where the participant would wear a wrist "watch" which displayed a blinking number (the one image was the negative of the other, not blank). the blinking was just fast enough that the participant only saw a blur. then the participant would complete one of those "time-slowing", adrenaline-inducing park rides. the participant still saw a blur. i don't know about stimulants, but with adrenaline they didn't actually see "faster". ill try to find the vid
>>
>>8013065
explain yourself bitchkid
>>
>>8013070
>psychological research with a small sample group
Bear in mind that 70% of psychological discoveries can't be reproduced
>>
>>8013085
you could always try it yourself, you dont even haveto limit yourself to a drop of few metres and use heavy stimulants instead. i think i've described the experiment enough
>>
>>8013070
it's not like everything actually goes in slow motion on stimulants/adrenaline. Sometimes they just make it feel like there are 90 seconds to a minute; at least while your mind isn't preoccupied
>>
>>8012862
>time passes at a stable rate of 1s/s for everyone

Still, I don't think that the interval of time objectively referred to as "second" is the same for every human, all the time. Let alone, for all beings (for instance, the distance defined as "meter" is hardly subjectively the same for a bacteria, a insect, a human, and an elephant).

I think that brains have something comparable to the clock generator of a CPU. The subjective "speed of time" is different with different clockrates. A 2GHz CPU has twice as many clockcycles as a (otherwise the same except for the clockrate) 1GHz CPU, thus subjectively time appears to flow only half as fast for the faster CPU (as it potentially can do up to two times more within the same objective time interval).
>>
>>8012862
>time passes at a stable rate of 1s/s for everyone. if we could process information faster then we would make faster decisions.
And if you perceive everything at a faster rate, time is by definition slower for you.
>>
>>8012250
shrooms slow the perception of time. im going to go with yes
>>
>>8013342
with the only definite temporal dimension being time, you can't say it goes faster. you could say that you experience more in a second than others
>>
>>8012250
Slower, insofar as a second would seem much longer.

I actually always wondered this about Data from Startrek, who thinks trillions of thoughts per second. For him, each second must seem like hours, at least. When someone asks him a question, does he instantly process it and then spend what seem (to him) to be hours speaking a single sentence as he thinks about trillions of other things?
>>
>>8012967
then why don't we make a computer out of flies
>>
>>8012967
except that flies can't do math because they're too dumb

checkm8
>>
>>8013085
>70%

Will this ever die? It was 50% of new studies published about the softer psychologies like personality and relationships. Most of which just had smaller effects and we're still significant.

Let's not forget this problem is seen in many fields from genetics and neuroscience to economics and medicine. It is an across disciplines problem.
>>
>>8012862
wat
he means like clock speed. take 30Hz for an example as our current rate of perception (taken from ~30fps for viewing). if this increased, hes asking if time would appear to slow down or speed up. this is a retarded question as obviously if you perceive more information in a second, time appears to slow down. think Spider Man
>>
the slower your brain perceives information, the faster time seems to go. Time really flies when you're asleep or on sedatives. It's likely that if you perceive information faster than normal, time will seem slower to you.

And time seeming faster or slower is all relative to how long you, personally, think a second should last. You can never know what one second feels like to someone else
>>
>>8015262
yes, this is what i meant. key word here being "appear". time will still flow at 1sec/sec but you perceive and analyze a greater amount of information
>>
>>8012250
slower
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.