[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

the Lever

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: problem.jpg (651KB, 1860x2630px) Image search: [Google]
problem.jpg
651KB, 1860x2630px
I am driven mad by a lever problem. I am designing a crane in my spare time and have performed the calculations for the hydraulic actuator that manipulates the angle of the arm. I am however uncertain if my reasoning is correct - I have to apply the force to a different point on the axis, to which the actuator is fixed.

My calculations are in the image. L is the length of an extended arm, while l (small L) is the distance from the fixed end of the arm to the point where the actuator connects to it.
>>
>>8012196
I think you should investigate rotational effects- for example, torque, before applying N2L in x and y to get the amount of force that must act perpendicularly to the arm; that makes finding your F_b for any angle beta pretty trivial. Once you know that, just solve for the forces in the x directions and you're good.
>>
>>8012213
Oh wait, just saw the second calculation.
No, that's fucked.
F_a is
[math]
|\vec{Q}|sin(\alpha)
[/math]
and F_b is
[math]
|\vec{Q}|cos(\alpha)
[/math]
And then you can apply the "law of the lever" (really just newton's second law for rotational motion applied to a static system), but that only can tell you how much force is acting perpendicularly to the lever arm.Those vectors that you have at the end do not sum to Q
>>
>>8012213
I have broken down the load Q into two forces acting along the hydraulic actuators - it is the only means of moving the crane arm, so the forces have to be calculated along those axes.

After having calculated Fa and Fb, I already have the force that acts along the arm. However, I still need to reapply the force Fb so that it aligns with the second hydraulic actuator.

I was under the impression that it boils down to equating the moment Fb*L*sin(specific_angle) and Fb' * l * sin(specific_angle). As the angles are the same, it would reduce to standard lever advantage.

Is there anything wrong with the approach?
>>
>>8012228
Those forces are wrong.
>>
File: problem2.jpg (211KB, 1325x1179px) Image search: [Google]
problem2.jpg
211KB, 1325x1179px
>>8012217
1) I 'need' to calculate the force going along the angle beta. A force perpendicular to the arm is of no use.

2) F_a and F_b sum geometrically to Q, I've checked. If I move F_b to F_b', the reaction force will be different (greater) - isn't that to be expected?

Consider the attached image. If the arm was supported at its end, F_b would stay as it is. However, in the original problem it is not so.
>>
>>8012231
I can't see the fault, other than that the forces should point in the opposite directions.
>>
File: 1460939850779-2047579334.jpg (3MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
1460939850779-2047579334.jpg
3MB, 3984x2988px
>>8012265
1) you just don't know how torque works
2) solved
>>
>>8012314
I am analyzing this. Which angle is theta?
>>
>>8012388
alpha. Instinctively wrote theta.
>>
>>8012391
I've done calculations. My F_b' and your F_b' are completely identical.

However, your F_a is much bigger. I'm looking into it.
>>
>>8012433
It really shouldn't be.
[math]
F_x = F_a + F_b'cos(\beta - \alpha) - Qsin(\alpha) = 0
[/math]
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.