[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What happened with this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4

File: descarga (2).jpg (9KB, 280x180px) Image search: [Google]
descarga (2).jpg
9KB, 280x180px
What happened with this?
>>
>>8009893
same thing that happened to flying by pulling yourself up by your jockstraps
>>
>>8009893

BIG

GRAPHENE

SAILS
>>
>>8009893
It's been independently confirmed. It works.

Scientists don't like it because it doesn't agree with our models of the way the universe works. Instead of changing our models to fit reality, we just get mad at the technology. Science!
>>
>>8009893
They sent it off to a third party to investigate it, who will then post peer-reviewed findings.
>>
>>8009918
Hello donald
>>
>>8009893
Still being tested. Not expecting success, but we can always hope
>>
>>8009893
There's a very faint thrust of unknown origin.
Until the underlying process is fully understood, it's useless.
>>
>>8009974
If you can reproduce it reliably you dont actually have to understand it
>>
what is it?
>>
>>8009993
A magic pusher
>>
>>8009995
I'm serious. I don't know what that thing is.
>>
>>8009974
this is how science works today, if it doesnt match existing theory its dismissed despite experimental proof that it works.
>>
>>8009993
ME-EM Drive
>>
>>8010004
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RF_resonant_cavity_thruster
>>
Jesus Christ. Tell me what this fucking thing is!
>>
>>8010016
It's a device that seems to produce thrust by electricity alone, a reactionless drive. Essentially the holy grail of transportation. IF it works, and IF it can be scaled up to produce a useful amount of thrust.
>>
undergoing peer review
>>
>>8010052
Sounds pretty dank. A bit too good to be true.
>>
>>8010066
heavier than air flight was too good to be true at one point. so was electricity. i mean think about it. being able to produce power with thin little wires? makes no sense. oil lanterns is a standard and should be kept i say! humph!
>>
>>8010069
Riiiiight.
>>
>>8009898

This. It relieves me to see other people realizing this.

I really don't see why anyone cares about the EMdrive in comparison - the EMdrive's thrust is barely measurable, yet graphene produces newtons per square centimeter.
>>
>>8010118
Graphene is a meme.
>>
>>8009974
>Until the underlying process is fully understood, it's useless.

Umm... no. We have no flipping idea how gravity works yet we use it everyday. Same goes for magnetism which is the principle that produces almost all of the worlds electricity.

You do not need to understand how something works to get use out of it.
>>
>>8010123
Granted we have equations to model gravity and magnetism but we do not know what causes either at a fundamental level.
>>
>>8010123
W-we don't?
>>
>>8010052
>It's a device that seems to produce thrust by electricity alone, a reactionless drive. Essentially the holy grail of transportation.

Throw a nuclear reactor inside a aluminum or titanium shell to protect an occupant and generate massive electricity to create thrust with a reaction-less drive.

Is that how UFOs work?
>>
>>8010126

No, we don't know how gravity works at a fundamental level. Massive objects create gravity is not a fundamental explanation for gravity - it's just an observation.
>>
>>8010118
Goddamn you fell from one popsci meme to another. You lot really are pathetically inept, it's actually pretty crazy how stupid some people could be
>>
I prefer laser sails.
>>
>>8009918
>>8009975
>>8010004
If it works why has no one put it on a circular track, let it speed up until the kinetic energy exceeds the input energy, and then used brakes to extract free energy? The answer is because it doesn't actually work, whether or not we understand it. If something is too good to be true and no one is using it to make money, it's fake.
>>
They said it worked, but they never truly proved it worked.

Its a joke for being over hyped for being so under tested.
>>
>>8010416
its a fucking low impulse engine
it's not going to push a train
>>
>>8010416
Because it currently produces an extremely small amount of thrust. If it actually works then they might look at scaling it up
>>
>>8010416
Because it requires electricity to run you moron, it doesnt generate energy
>>
File: Nassikas-thruster-pendulum-test.jpg (22KB, 598x320px) Image search: [Google]
Nassikas-thruster-pendulum-test.jpg
22KB, 598x320px
>>8010140
Expecting mass to create gravity is like expecting ears to speak.

This is the superconducting magnetic equivalent of the emdrive:
www.google.com/search?q=nassikas+thruster
U.S. patent No. 8,952,773, February 10, 2015

Pic: When superconduction stops it returns to plumb position (2)

Orly?
>>
>>8010562
what about a space train?
>>
If it does work how will it change space travel? Where could we go that we couldn't before?
>>
>>8010602
what about a RKKV?
>>
>>8011287
If it does work, the basic principles of classical and modern physics are fundamentally wrong: energy and momentum are not conserved and physical symmetries do not lead to conservation laws. Since Noether's theorem is no longer valid, we can get rid of all the other conservation laws as well, such as charge conservation, conservation of angular momentum, etc. and we basically have to start physics over again. This is why it is rather unlikely that it works [and everyone would be happy if it did since everyone would have the chance to get in on the ground floor of a new era of physics and become the next Bohr, Einstein, Heisenberg, etc.]
>>
>>8009893
It doesn't work.

It's been around since 2001 and it has never done anything.
>>
>>8011323
Well maybe physics is wrong. Physics has gone nowhere in the past 30 years. Maybe burning conservation is all we need to move things forward

In any case the inventor claims that it does somehow conserve momentum.
>>
>>8011369
>In any case the inventor claims that it does somehow conserve momentum.

Anything the inventor says is trash since his mechanism of action is both absolutely retarded [his mechanism is entirely an approximation error] and falsified if the tested thing works.
>>
>>8011377
Can you explain why it is retarded or are yous imply talking out of your ass?
>>
>>8011390
The inventors mechanism of action is that there are more reflections off the big end than the small end. This ignores the reflections off the angled sides, with the inventor claiming that they are negligible, making the entire mechanism of action an approximation error since those "negligible" reflections are always sufficient to compensate the difference the inventor claims is there.

If you mean the theory the guy that ran these tests came up with about pushing on the quantum foam, that is just hand wavey bullshit with nothing rigorous to back it up [not even back-of-the-envelope calculations] or analyze.
>>
>>71238406
Does not werk
>>
File: mylifewasalie.gif (427KB, 200x198px) Image search: [Google]
mylifewasalie.gif
427KB, 200x198px
GUYS

GUYS

EMDrive

ELON MUSK DRIVE

GUYS

GUYS
>>
ok since this was answered

Now what happened to that alien megastructure thing?
>>
>>8009997
Seriously, no one does either. Apparently it creates thrust out of nothing apparently or exherts more energy than it consumes.
>>
>>8010140
It's exponential mass collection. In simplicity, mass tries to gain more mass. The number used would be an exponent above a number, with the exponent being 1.0000000~ with almost infinite zeros until you get your number.
>>
>>8012951
it wasn't aliens, turned out to be a natural light dimming and they didn't recieve a single signal.
>>
>>8012951
This was the last article on it.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/brucedorminey/2016/03/31/astronomers-cant-rule-out-alien-megastructure-new-observations-soon/#18135b9a5566
>>
>>8012968
>A kickstarter campaign for ground based observations

What the actual fuck?
>>
File: sneakycat.jpg (63KB, 576x418px) Image search: [Google]
sneakycat.jpg
63KB, 576x418px
>>8012977
There aren't many telescopes capable observing that phenomena so they probably want to raise money to buy a telescope (Hubble maybe?) and some time with it to observe it.
>>
>>8013047
I get that but why aren't they applying to funding bodies?
>>
>>8013054
I guess they tried but after the hype died down nobody who had money considered this venture to be profitable or somewhat beneficial
>>
>>8013047
"Phenomenon."

You're welcome.
>>
>>8009918
I agree. I am a scientist and I want to keep this invention down.
>>
>>8011580
>ELON MUSK DRIVE
OMG NO CHANCE IT DOESN'T WORK ELON MUSK IS GOOOOOOD
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.