[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

As an undergrad doing research, how do I get rid of impostor

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

File: OliverHeaviside.jpg (133KB, 513x789px) Image search: [Google]
OliverHeaviside.jpg
133KB, 513x789px
As an undergrad doing research, how do I get rid of impostor syndrome? I know what I'm doing, but I feel like I shouldn't know what I'm doing. Does that make sense?
>>
>>8005976
thats the opposite of imposter syndrome
>>
I had never heard of this before. I looked it up and holy shit it's me in a nutshell.

>Despite external evidence of their competence, those exhibiting the syndrome remain convinced that they are frauds and do not deserve the success they have achieved. Proof of success is dismissed as luck, timing, or as a result of deceiving others into thinking they are more intelligent and competent than they believe themselves to be.
I don't mind though because it gives me incentive to not become complacent.
>>
>>8005976
Short answer is that you don't ever really get rid of it. I'm a post-doc and still feel like I really have no business doing what I'm doing. At some point it jus kind of gets mixed in with a misplaced sense of arrogance where you feel some strange satisfaction when your peers fail at things that you succeed at, yet you can never really be happy with your own success because you feel that it is unwarranted and will get taken away at any moment.
>>
File: 411dxitKD+L.jpg (32KB, 331x500px) Image search: [Google]
411dxitKD+L.jpg
32KB, 331x500px
>>
>>8006008
read first post you retard and think about it, you have the opposite of imposter syndrome.

kek, because have retarded you are.
>>
>>8005976
what kind of research are you doing? i'm an undergrad as well but I'm way above my course level and I'm a bit bored, how did you get started in research?
>>
>>8005976
This is the shittier version of a better thread made a few days ago. Be more origninal OP. Also you don't have imposter syndrome, you are arrogant.
>>
>>8006003
>>8006271
>>8006292
>I don't actually know what impostor syndrome is
>hurr you didn't explain it exactly how I like

>>8006291
Some pretty crazy stuff with having computers design things. I got into a discussion with one of my professors and proposed this algorithm for doing it, and then they set me up with a research position. I just have all this self doubt about how I'm not qualified to do this and I might be suffering from Dunning-Kruger, even though other people seem to like the work I'm doing. Maybe I should stop reading /sci/ since this place is pretty hostile and possibly part of the problem.
>>
>getting rid of imposter syndrome
kek

enjoy your crippling anxiety for the rest of your career
>>
>>8006435
Look at the archive. You straight up copied a thread posted a few days ago but got the definition of imposter syndrome wrong. You are too arrogant to suffer from such syndromes.
>>
>>8006450
No I did not. If it's similar, then it's purely coincidence.

This is exactly the kind of hostile autism I'm talking about. I'm honestly not sure why you think I'm so arrogant.
>>
>>8006481
> know what I'm doing, but I feel like I shouldn't know what I'm doing.

Imposter syndrome is more like you are successful, intelligent, etc. but you feel like you don't know what you're doing, that you actually aren't intelligent and that you are good at putting up a front fooling everyone around you while you know there are more intelligent people out there than you. Basically it's the feeling of wearing a mask. Your feeling is different.
>>
>>8006486
I know what I'm doing based on the feedback I get from other people, but I completely doubt myself in every way. I wouldn't recognize the impostor syndrome in the first place if it weren't for me noticing the discrepancy between external feedback and personal confidence. It's just phrasing you autists.
>>
>>8006493
Your stance is

>I know what I am doing but I shouldn't

Impost syndrome is
>I don't know what I'm doing and I should

You said:
>I know what I'm doing, but I feel like I shouldn't know what I'm doing.

Do you see the difference?
>>
>>8006498
Read the article again.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome
>>
>>8006481
Please kill yourself
>>
>>8006504
Not him.

I'm not going to bother to explain in details because I really want to give that many fucks about you.
Now you probably thinking why I'm writing this, it is because I want to remind you of an option which is superior to all the others you have:
Kill yourself.

please do.
>>
>>8005976
I too am doin research as undegrad and have this feel

Are we all just fakes
>>
i've talked to grad students in chem and physics about this. they say essentially the same thing, that they feel like complete idiots and they still feel like complete idiots.
>>
File: 1415933327236.jpg (39KB, 400x366px) Image search: [Google]
1415933327236.jpg
39KB, 400x366px
>>8006598
>>8006609
>sour grapes
>>
>>8005976
Well for one, you're a goddamn undergrad not much is expected of you. You are not expected to know what you're doing. You're there to learn.

But really you're there to make the prof who hired you look good and as a source of cheap labor. At best, the prof who you work for might be trying to turn you into a graduate student. It's better to have someone who is at least somewhat familiar with the research than some random chinese dude who's just in the country to sight see*.

*this actually happened in our lab, he just left the lab one day to go to disneyland and we never saw him again. Which was a good thing.
>>
>>8006699
BAHAHAHA that's awesome

I'm always worried about Pajeet or Xingbai taking my jobs but stories like this are what give me hope
>>
>>8006093

Fucking shit. But then I.. feel like maybe I'm just not even smart and I'm pretending that I have imposter syndrome when I'm actually retarded.
>>
>>8006435
just chill and do your research, smart people are very hard to come by, and you have to realize the "real" researchers you're comparing yourself against aren't such genius themselves
>>
>>8006633
Tfw doing research and getting published the whole time ive been in highschool feels good man
>>
>>8006908
Dude what. What's your research?
>>
>>8006908
Share some pls
>>
>>8006908
>>8006979
>>8006984
it's called letting the professor do the work and letting >>8006908 put his name on it
>>
>>8007035
It's funny that your jealous and make excuses about me to support your ego, when in reality I both contributed to the professors research and did novel independent research. ;)
>>
>>8005976
That's not the impostor syndrome, that's just dunning-kruger. Don't worry about it, it'll wear off over time (or not). Worst you'll end up with is a slight feeling of embarrassment when you look back on how you currently feel about your skills.
>>
I remember having that feel in high school. It's part of the reason I didn't go into STEM; I wasn't satisfied that I "understood" Stokes' theorem until I went back and re-derived it every time I wanted to use it. Shit was exhausting.
>>
File: 1455523221055.jpg (28KB, 259x215px) Image search: [Google]
1455523221055.jpg
28KB, 259x215px
>>8005976

undergrad syndrome
>>
>>8005976
It's not a syndrome. As an undergrad researchers you actually are an imposter.
>>
>>8006498
>Impost syndrome is
>I don't know what I'm doing and I should

No it isn't, dumbass.
>>
>>8007129
Thats fucking bullshit
>>
>>8005976

Stop being an imposter.
>>
File: art.jpg (41KB, 343x258px) Image search: [Google]
art.jpg
41KB, 343x258px
>>8007474

correct
>>
>>8007544
Believe what you want to believe.
>>
>>8005976
Don't worry, you'll make an expensive fuck up eventually friend :^)
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.