[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Someone here uses GNU Octave? What can you say about it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

File: unnamed (2).png (10KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed (2).png
10KB, 200x200px
Someone here uses GNU Octave? What can you say about it?
>>
runs all my cfd code just as good as matlab
>>
>>8005862
its not as good as matlab.
>>
Is there any way to "show" octave code in a natural format i.e what TeX format does.
>>
>>8005930
that's not really how octave works m8

it's a programming language like Java or C++, not a mathematical expression. Doesn't really make sense to have a tex format.
>>
>>8005977
I know that's not how it works, but there could be a library or something. Is there a way to do that with tex files from any programming language though?
>>
>>8005862
It literally gave me a very very wrong answer to a 2d interpolation ( I checked by hand and I checked the command in matlab).

So fuck that piece of trash. If you are to poor to shell out $40 for matlab then that is the only reason to risk using it.
>>
>>8007418
Post the code you faggot you probably did something wrong
>>
>>8007522
This was like 5 months ago, I don't remember the exact numbers that made it fail. All I know is that I tried the same code with other values to interpolate and those other values worked, so the code was fine.
>>
I tried to use it, its horrible to debug, the ide is retarded
>>
>>8007531
>my code produced shit, it's the program's fault
>show your code
>no, my code was perfect. totally program's fault

100% your fault, faggot
>>
>>8007620
Do you remember every piece of code you write 5 months later? Of course not. I could give you the function if you want. ...the actual inputs to the functions would be impossible for me to find since it was so long ago.
>>
>>8005862
>GNU

Fuck no. Just pirate Matlab or use winpython
>>
>>8005862
Yes, works great. Very good for prototyping an algorithm quickly.

>>8005930
You can take a look at Dexy. Dexy is used to produce very nice documentation Zed Shaw also uses it to write books). Dexy is not for being able to input LaTeX as your source code. It let's write a document containing LaTeX code and citations for your source code (for any programming language) then compiling said document will not only output a PDF with colorized source code but it can also compile your source code and let you cite example output in your PDF documentation. So if you update your program you can just recompile the dexy file and get updated documentation.
>>
without all the toolboxes MATLAB offers, octave is just another clunky scripting langauge
>>
>>8007669
No but I save my code you fucking sperg.
>>
>>8007684
Haven't used Windows since XP, sorry.
>>
>>8007993
Like I said, I have the code saved...I didn't save the exact inputs that made it blow up. Also since you won't believe their code is broken try plotting stuff. Octaves plotting abilities is absolute garbage.

It's an interesting proof of concept, but it's a half working version of matlab you shouldn't ever use in a professional setting.
>>
>>8007669
Do you complain about code you don't even remember in imageboards blaming the compiler / language for it not working?
>>
>>8007418
> $40
> MATLAB
Are you as drunk as I feel?
>>
>>8007669
>Do you remember every piece of code you write 5 months later? Of course not. I could give you the function if you want. ...the actual inputs to the functions would be impossible for me to find since it was so long ago.

It may be in the command history
>>
>>8005862
Yeah, it's a free programmable matrix calculator and anything that works in matlab works in octave. It's better than pencil and paper.
>>
>>8008018
Can I plot planes in R3 and R2→R projections?
>>
>>8005862
I used it, it's pretty okay. Not as extensive as matlab, some functions are missing. It has the best matlab compatibility so if you need to migrate your matlab code to free software it is a nice choice.

However, performance is even worse than matlab and it does not have something like simulink. Right now it's just a free alternative to matlab, for general quick modelling or scripting use (which is the only thing you should use matlab for anyway) it's okay, but nothing more.
>>
>>8008023
yes
>>
>>8008015
Shit good idea. When I go back into work I'll check.
>>
>>8008013
Student discount. At least that's how much I paid. And I got it from the math works website.
>>
>>8007669
Wow, spoken like a true pleb who can't into version control systems. I bet you didn't even file a bug report. You deserve what you get.
>>
>>8008228
Look at the faggot who has no idea what he's talking about. I have all the code, but I don't know what the input was. Only way I would know what exact numbers gave me the error is if I did what another anon suggested and look at my command history.

Lemme break it down so you can understand. Sometimes, when big boys work with finite element algorithms they have different meshes. Different meshes give different numbers. Different numbers give different results.

I could submit an error report, but fuck that noise. The moment my boss got me matlab I was done with that shit.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.