[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>oh so you're going to be a teacher?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

File: 117-airplane.png (10KB, 352x298px) Image search: [Google]
117-airplane.png
10KB, 352x298px
>oh so you're going to be a teacher?
>>
>>8004732
>h-h-hey, want me to prove to you that the reals are uncountable?
>>
File: 1451416989584.jpg (260KB, 449x1197px) Image search: [Google]
1451416989584.jpg
260KB, 449x1197px
>>8004735
>>
At least he's not sitting next to a fucking baby.
>>
>>8004732
I've never understood this. The value of a STEM degree is that it teaches you transferable skills (analytical, problem solving, etc. skills). So very few professions are based solely on mathematics, but because basically everything uses math you can do just about anything.
>>
>>8004765
kek
>>
>>8004765
>but because basically everything uses math you can do just about anything.
or you can basically do nothing.
Because you lack the interesting stuff.
Everyone does math, but not everyone does mechanical engineering or computer science or whatever
>>
>>8004780
>>8004779
I did math, now I'm working in finance. What do you mean everybody does math? Everyone needs to use it a one point so, spending 4 years studying it make sense. If you want degrees that "everybody does" then look at shitty degrees like business or criminal justice. Math is useful because it teaches you how to think logically. That's why it has the highest success rate for law school(or maybe second highest, I don't remember).
>>
>>8004780
>everyone does math

Bruh.
>>
>>8004780
>everyone does math
being a calculation monkey isn't doing math
>>
>>8004732
I don't get it
>>
>>8006217
its a tryhard comic trying to devalue mathematicians as boring, even though the world revolves around thanks to maths.
yes i am mad
>>
>>8006221
>even though the world revolves around thanks to maths.
Then how comes your math skillz dont help you get laid?
lol nerd
>>
Honestly, that comic is true. Whenever people ask me what I study, and I answer mathematics, they always instantly look completely disinterested and change the subject.
>>
>>8004732
What? No, I just told you: I am a mathematician. I have a job. That's like asking a racecar driver if he's gonna be a repairman.
>>
>>8006233
what's up with numbers anyway? math is for boring ppl xD
>>
>>8006211
>the typical american BSc """"""""engineer" """"""
Sorry mate, in europe engineers do actual math.
>>
>>8006245
>in europe engineers do actual math.
In France maybe, but not in the rest of Europe
>>
>>8006245
Explain what you mean by "actual math"
>>
>>8006260
its like very real math
>>
>>8004732
I don't understand this situation. I've never talked to my neighbour on the airplane (unless I'm sitting next to a friend or collegue or whatever).

Is it normal for people to just strike up conversations with strangers just because you'll be sitting next to each other for a few hours? Usually that only makes things more awkward, not less.
>>
>>8006261
topology, probabilities, number theory, abstract algebra, linear algebra of course, analysis, arithmetics and so on.
Can't remember everything since it was so long ago, but you get the point.
>>8006246
I think engineers and mathfags have all the same classes during 2 years, right?
>>
>>8006269
What do you mean by topology? How many theorems did you prove?
>>
>>8004732
Hahaha story of my life
Either that or "ewww maths"
>>
>>8006221
It's not that mathematicians are boring (although much of them are pretty boring). It's that people believe they are boring, and not to sound like an elitist, but mathematics is not something you can small talk about especially given that the vast majority of people know very little about it.
>>
>Hey, what are you in grad school for?
s-science
>Cool! What kind?
c-c-chemistry
>Oh... OK bye

every time
>>
>>8006273
>How many theorems did you prove?
really nigger? You evaluate things by the number of theorems one proves?
idk mate, it was like 5 years ago
everything that is studied is proved though
>>
>>8006420
Did you prove topological theorems, or did you just learn some definitions and use those (e.g. in vector analysis)?
>>
File: 1460729313699.jpg (47KB, 350x500px) Image search: [Google]
1460729313699.jpg
47KB, 350x500px
>tfw no purpose or direction and no regard for the well being of others
>>
>>8006485
yes we proved theorems

mathematical rigor is the moto here
>>
>>8006224
>tfw math got me laid
>tfw math got me a stable gf

I don't understand this argument.
>>
>>8006265
Yes, if you aren't autistic.
>>
>>8006246
I'm studying engineerring (i'm a freshman) in France, and we do calculus. :/
>>
>>8006265
This seems to be a thing americans do.
>>
File: 1460666356990.png (11KB, 527x297px) Image search: [Google]
1460666356990.png
11KB, 527x297px
>>
>>8007401
This improves the comic.
>>
>>8007401
nice
>>
File: 1420041840211.gif (60KB, 230x270px) Image search: [Google]
1420041840211.gif
60KB, 230x270px
>>8004797
>TFW Classical Studies yields similar results in terms of law school + med school
>>
>>8006273
The topology chapter as I remember it was about normed linear spaces and was pretty much seen as a prerequisite to uniform convergence and series of functions.
Basically, we talked about compactness (including Riesz's theorem relating dimension and local compactness), completeness, path-connectedness, bounded linear maps (with many explicit computations), basic results about Hilbert spaces
It's all very elementary but the exercises are all but trivial. It's not about the number of theorems you can parrot but rather about the number of examples and the difficulty of the exercises.
>>
>>8004732
The weird thing is that a lot of my peers in pure math undergrad actually wish to become teachers.

Some of them already do some kind of teaching, like tutoring school kids for money.

It is not an unfounded assumption but I understand, it also bothers me, because my plans are much bigger.
>>
>>8007436
Out of the 40 people in my year, exactly one actively pursued teaching.
>>
>>8007372
ahahahahaha un jeune faggot
bien ta mpsi?
>>
>>8007438
Well, I must say that only one person is actually looking forward to being a teacher.

However, the rest seem to at least accept that they will probably be teachers as they casually talk about how good of a teacher they or someone else in the class would make.

I wouldn't casually talk about being a janitor in the future so I think that they probably don't hate the idea.
>>
>>8007380
It's called being nice.
>>
>>8007414
Except it doesn't. Good luck getting into investment banking or law school with an easy major like classics or english without a really good LSAT score and perfect gpa.
>>
>>8007764
No it's not.
>>
>>8007795
That's the point of pleasantries is kindness to people. It's very easy to indicate you don't want to talk after saying "Hello" to a stranger. I'm not a huge fan of it either but come on.
>>
>>8004732
bitch be jealous because $300k starting, any job i want
>>
Frankly, I'm surprised "mathematical consultant" or whatever isn't an actual thing. Like a smart dude who gets paid to sit around and solve math problems when a brainlet engineer like myself hits a wall. Like I know we have approximations and shit to work around the hard stuff, but there've gotta be situations where a more exact solution is worth paying a smart guy for...
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.