[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

CRISPR Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: CRISPR2.jpg (207KB, 768x1009px) Image search: [Google]
CRISPR2.jpg
207KB, 768x1009px
This shit is fairly terrifying.

Quick intro to what CRISPR is if you aren't aware: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnYppmstxIs

It's basically a primitive form of gene editing that has exploded in popularity recently after a lab discovered they could hijack a protein called cas9 to cut DNA strands in two like scissors and insert their own genes into the strand. I'm a huge biology pleb so my understanding is fairly retarded here, but the implications and how people are reacting seem to remind me of SKYNET something.

>Scientists, including an inventor of CRISPR, urged a worldwide moratorium on applying CRISPR to the human germline, especially for clinical use. They said "scientists should avoid even attempting, in lax jurisdictions, germline genome modification for clinical application in humans" until the full implications "are discussed among scientific and governmental organizations".[36][143]

>This could have unintended and far-reaching consequences for human evolution, genetically (e.g. gene/environment interactions) and culturally (e.g. Social Darwinism), hence altering of gametocytes and embryos to generate inheritable changes in humans was claimed irresponsible.

>In February 2016, British scientists were given permission by regulators to genetically modify human embryos by using CRISPR-Cas9 and related techniques. The embryos were to be destroyed after seven days.[149][150]

Are we fucked /sci/? Or are we about to enter the wonderful world of genetically engineered super humans? The potential applications for this are mindblowing.
>>
Off target effects is basically what called for the moratorium. The Chinese team was over-eager and rushed to embryo modification on a technology that was super inaccurate.

We still really haven't solved this inaccuracy problem so chill.

Also there is hella redundancy in biological systems so a simples control x + control v might not work here.
>>
SUPERHUMAN WHEN?

what field can do this?

i want to breed humans have optimal traits for all kinds of sports, train them and have them win everything and bring my country and "coaching" to glory.

>ideal leg length + all high power fast twitch fibers + injury resistance + psychological genes to make them love to train and recover well= amazing sprinters
>breed man to have short arms and femurs, high test, high gH (huge joints), lots of fast twitch muscles, he'll set world records in powerlifting

IT GOES ON AND ON
>>
>>8003798
>until the full implications
What the fuck does that even mean? It really sounds like a "I better cover my ass here" kind of statement.
>>
>>8003798
We're fucked. If one virus or form of cancer manages to latch onto one of the specific modified genes (as in only affect that gene), then it will fuck genetically modified humans with those specific genes, especially if it's already a resistant strain.
>>
>>8004001
It's a "let's not get right to modifying humans before we decide what is immoral" statement
>>
>>8004001

it means, we want to do this but are scared people will call us nazis so let's hang back
>>
the idea of rich billionaires paying for this technology and it going wrong and them gradually becoming mutated like the guy from the end of Robocop and trying to cover it up is super fucking brutal

I need to watch that scene from Blade Runner again when Tyrell is talking about how hard synthetic life is to engineer
>>
Same shit as when RNAi exploded. Like another anon already said, off-targets are a huge problem. I wouldn't be too optimistic about this.
>>
>>8003798
Assuming it becomes free and legal for everyone to research, we may start seeing non-abominations start happening in about 100-200 years. Along the way thousands will die or be born with little to no noticeable benefit, if they are able to be born at all.

You really shouldn't be afraid of this, not yet at least. The technology is still in its infancy.
>>
>>8004023
>immoral
This is just opening a whole new can of worms, what [math] is [/math] moral?
>>
>>8004083
More like 100 or 200 billion years
>>
>>8004213
Here is your (you)
>>
>>8004064
they're actually not, one of the labs next to mine has deep-sequenced some lines they've stably transformed with CRISPR constructs and they found basically no evidence for off-target effects

i mean yeah, it depends on careful guide design, but it's definitely possible to do CRISPR editing in a specific way
>>
>>8003995
Why don't they just selectively breed people in test-tubes and call them: 'Children of the State' or something
>>
>>8003798

Is shit like this only for embryos or can it be used on real people too?
>>
>>8004525
There's been some success using it to modify specific tissues in adult organisms, but in general it's extremely limited because it has to successfully modify many, many cells in your body instead of only one or two in a zygote. (The case in question was one where the diseased cells were dying and the modified cells successfully replicated, so the tissue easily became largely modified cells.)
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.