[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can a person successfully ride a bike on a treadmill? I feel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (158KB, 1245x700px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
158KB, 1245x700px
Can a person successfully ride a bike on a treadmill? I feel like both sides have good arguments. Yes because the bike is still making the same movements as if it were covering ground. No because no matter what the bike itself is staying still and has no forward momentum to keep it going. Discuss.
>>
>>8000432
Can a meme successfully ride its way up the /sci/ board? I feel like both sides have good arguments. Yes, because the meme is still hilarious and causes people to make the same arguments as if they were covering ground. No because no matter what the meme is, it is staying still and has no forward momentum to keep it going. Discuss.
>>
>>8000432
Seeing as I can cycle up a hill extremely slowly I am going to say yes.
>>
>>8000449
Its actually a good question, and there have been a number of experiments regarding how bicycles impart balance because the answer is not nearly as simple as the problem would appear to be.

It did get answered tho, and it actually has nothing to do with forward momentum (this should be obvious, if you think about reference frames) or more surprisingly, gyroscopic stabilisation from the wheels (they made a bike with tiny tiny wheels and you can ride it no problem).

The answer is simply that you have to have dynamic friction, or motion, between the wheels and the road. Sitting still doesnt give you the force you need to keep balance, but moving allows you to use the wheels, no matter how small (at least up to a point) to grip the road and easily exert balancing forces.

So in short, yes, you can ride a bike on a treadmill, though it might be hard to get started.
>>
>>8000432
>the bike has no forward
>momentum to keep it going
wat
>>
File: 136819[1].jpg (41KB, 565x633px) Image search: [Google]
136819[1].jpg
41KB, 565x633px
> No because no matter what the bike itself is staying still and has no forward momentum to keep it going
You don't need to move to turn pedals with your legs buttboy. Weakest bait ive seen all week
>>
In all honesty, we still don't know how exactly bikes work.
>>
>>8000432
>or more surprisingly, gyroscopic stabilisation from the wheels (they made a bike with tiny tiny wheels and you can ride it no problem).
This under-represents the quite significant gyroscopic stabilizing forces created by a bike like shown in the pic.
>>
>>8000432
Let me ask it another way:

What if you made a huge treadmill, that was a giant rotating sphere with a radius of 6371km?
>>
>tfw never learned to ride a bike
am i missing out?
>>
>>8000909
>this under-represents the quite significant gyroscopic stabilizing forces

thats the whole fucking point you moron
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.