[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tabby's Star

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: download.jpg (2KB, 256x144px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
2KB, 256x144px
What is happening there, after all?
>>
>>7997549
Aliums
>>
>>7997549
I forgot about this

thank you for the reminder anon, AI chan still lives (fuck that tabby's faggot name)
>>
>>7997549
>What
Kepler had some difficulties for a while, not sure much was observed then. Also a shutdown to safe mode too, recovering just the other day. Observations will probably recommence.
>>
ayy lmao
>>
We don't know anon, it's weird.
HOWEVER, It's important to note that in SETI's radio telescope investigation of it, there were no signs of any kind of technology related radio signals at all.
I mean, obviously, we have other possible methods of communication to account for aside from radio transmission, but for a civilization so advanced to not have some kind of detectable radio sphere when the light from their incredibly advanced construction is reaching us no problem is super unlikely.
We're still gonna look for signs of other possible methods of communication, but I think we've all but confirmed it to not be ayy lmaos at this point.

Pic unrelated.
>>
>>7999224
>no signs of any kind of technology related radio signals at all
There are many explanations for this.

First of all the biggest emitters we had were military radar system back in the day when megawatt was good. Now the trend is towards LPI (low probability of intercept) which is the lowest radiated power you can possibly get the job done with which can be down to a few watts.

The other issue is that the radio signals that we could have picked up were signals that per definition did not reach their intended target. next standards for mobile communications will use beam steering and beam forming, sending the signal just where it is needed and nowhere else. This enables higher bandwidth while also eliminating signals lost to space.

Future trends for radio is wide band with directivity for transmission and reception. What could be picked up from this would be just like white noise.

Then of course they could use entirely different means. Were they using neutrino communication we would not have picked it up. Yet.
>>
Maybe the star just makes werid solar weather
>>
>>7999291
I pity the civilization that uses neutrino communication.
They can never experience the joys of a video streaming service.

It just seems so ridiculously impractical. The stars would be fucking with it, heck the kind of tech needed to reliably detect neutrinos seems like it would just always be screaming with them, although I do recognize that that's just an example.
>>
>>7999224
Maybe they encripted all communications
>>
>>7999189
KIC 8462852 was in the original Kepler field. Kepler hasn't been able to observe the original field since the second reaction wheel failure in 2013. Followup work has to be done with other telscopes.
>>
>>7999310
There are many types of neutrinos. Nuclear reactors (based on fission) makes a different type than the sun (fusion)

Also: if you are able to pull out the neutrinos from space you can get an awesome amount of energy. Nearly 5 % of reactor energy is lost as neutrinos. So you get wireless energy as a bonus.

To check this wild hypothesis you would need a huge neutrino detector (on the moon) and see if there are parts of the sky with a lower neutrino flux than EM background radiation would indicate. You would want huge size to get good resolution in a reasonable amount of time.
>>
>>7999291
>Were they using neutrino communication we would not have picked it up

Why would you use neutrinos for communication? It seems like such a hard and impractical method, especially considering the gains seem pretty limited.
>>
>>7999384
I never said it would be practical to us with present time technology. I offered this as a possible way of communicating that would not be detectable with our present technology.

50 years ago UHF and higher was impractical, now it is commonplace. What is practical is a question of tech level and need. And bandwidth increase is an ever present need.

As for practicality you could receive a signal from the opposite side of the planet. Line of sight is no longer required.
>>
>>7999312
How would you hide all communication though? And why?
>>
>>7999224
>there were no signs of any kind of technology related radio signals at all.

There's no multi-gigawatt radiotransmissions going on. That's all they've concluded so far because sensitivity is lacking.
>>
What's the point when it's so far away that by the time we figure out what's going on, its 30 million years in the future due to how slow light of it reaches us.

Reminder that no telescope can look into the future
>>
ITT: /x/
>>
>>7999490
AKA conjecture
>>
>>7999291

This. The window in time where they may have been broadcasting omnidirectional radio waves of sufficient power to be detected may look like ours, i.e. less than a century. If they're building megastructures in space around their star, that time is likely hundreds if not thousands of years in their past.

So if Charlemagne had had a radio telescope pointed at 'em, he might have heard all kinds of interesting things.
>>
>>7999453
How: keep radio emissions low, use directivity, make sure what is radiated into space has a power distribution spectrum close to white noise indistinguishable from the star or interstellar radio noise.

Why: to avoid being eaten/colonized/wiped out/be part of Roland Emmerich movie/sold as snacks/etc.

You just don't know what is out there. Considering history just about the worst thing that could happen is that humanity became space faring.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.