[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is psychology a meme science? I know it is, but when asked

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

Why is psychology a meme science?

I know it is, but when asked why I think that I have a hard time explaining.

> inb4 it's not

Oh come on, you're better than that
>>
How do you cure psychological problems without psychology ?
>>
>>7994000
I'm not really saying it's not legit. I'm just saying it's not a science. Slight but real difference
>>
>>7993997
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychology#Contemporary_issues_in_methodology_and_practice
http://www.nature.com/news/over-half-of-psychology-studies-fail-reproducibility-test-1.18248

It's not really a pseudoscience, but it desperately lacks the rigor in the other sciences (natural sciences). Additionally, very few of psych undergrads end up as researchers worthy of the title 'scientist'.
>>
>>7993997
>I know it is, but when asked why I think that I have a hard time explaining.

Translation: I'm easily convinced by memes and I can't think for myself.
>>
>>7993997
Freud was the original memester with his "dude benis lmao" style of psychoanalysis.
>>
>>7994008
what makes it "not-science" ?
>>
>>7993997
No, psychology is not meme science. Psychology is important. Count of geniuses and people in so-called first world commuting suicide is high. Psychology is mental support science.
>>
>>7994031
If I say 'meme' in connection with something I don't like then that means it's completely not real. No further argument is necessary.
>>
meme science just means

"i feel inferior about my standing in the scientific community and need leverage the perceived usefulness of my academic field to compensate for my own lack of meaningful achievements"
>>
File: JH_00001_1339607696.gif (22KB, 720x576px) Image search: [Google]
JH_00001_1339607696.gif
22KB, 720x576px
>>7993997
According to /sci/, it's because its experiments are not as repeatable as REAL sciences like physics, mathematics or even CS. Thus, it can't be treated by the scientific method as well, and thus it is not scientific.

Also, there's the fact that some people that use psychology are pseudoscientists, artists, /x/philes or philosophers.

It's not unusable though, since it gave some concepts about how things should not be treated and gave many solutions to important problems. Also helped philosophy, politics and sociology.

According to /sci/, it also should focus on linking itself with neurology so it can be a real science.
>>
>>7995072
Basically this. But personally I do agree, neuroscience lends solidity to psychological concepts. This is because psychology is at best launching a dart into a dark room with some idea of where the target is. There can be so many factors that may be influencing the subjects that are impossible to control for that it infallibly suffers in credibility.
>>
>>7993997
Because it's just based on weak statistical correlations, and not reproducible experiments.
>>
>>7993997
>Why is psychology a meme science?
because of memes
>>
>>7994020
in which holy bible is it written that "we promise to produce accurate results 100% of the time"?

only a fool not fit to browse sci would lack such basic understanding of what science is. So about 99% of this board

>Why is psychology a meme science?

psychology is a meme science because sci is a meme board
2deep4u?
>>
>>7995304
>in which holy bible is it written that "we promise to produce accurate results 100% of the time"?

Is this bait? Or are you really saying that the reproducibility crisis is irrelevant because we can never get "100% accurate results"?
>>
>>7994000
>How do you cure psychological problems without psychology ?
How do you cure psychological problems with psychology?
>>
>>7993997
psychology definitely isn't a meme science

that would imply it's a science
>>
File: 1417821895129.png (48KB, 189x279px) Image search: [Google]
1417821895129.png
48KB, 189x279px
>>7995471

how do you solve mathematical equations with math???
>>
>>7995317
the reproducibility crisis is irrelevant because your life is irrelevant, science is self correcting, your life is not
>>
>>7995088
Same story with genetics yet I don't see anyone calling it a meme. Any field that is based on statistical correlations suffers this flaw. Psychology is just the favorite punching bag.

Not to mention that well established fields like behavioral and social psychology have many extremely high replicability studies.
>>
It's not a meme. It's a science since it uses the scientific method, and now efforts are being taken to deal with the replication crisis.
>>
>>7993997
Too many women in the field.
>>
File: Suicide Chart, CMS.jpg (61KB, 524x360px) Image search: [Google]
Suicide Chart, CMS.jpg
61KB, 524x360px
>>7994034
Doing a great job at it
>>
>>7998154
>boy I better stick it out to 2000, things might change, it's a new millennium, a new me

>o..oh
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.