[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How old is too old to go back to university? Has anyone gone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: cap%20for%20grad.gif (17KB, 396x304px) Image search: [Google]
cap%20for%20grad.gif
17KB, 396x304px
How old is too old to go back to university? Has anyone gone back to pursue something they were more interested in? Is it a waste of time to get a second bachelor's?
>>
I'm 27 and went back for an MSc in MechE. I have a BS/MS in Math, but Engineering is where I truly want to be.

It's different, admittedly. My mind has to get used to the problem solving and being in the lab.
>>
>>7992757
University is the biggest scam after marriage. Don't waste your time and money. Get a part time job and learn whatever you want for free from the internet.
>>
>>7992786

Oh, good thing that gets you into interviews!

Wait... it doesn't?
>>
Wrong thread
>>
>>7992794
You can get a job as a code monkey with interner shit, but don't expect a big time software engineering job with it. A university education in engineering pays itself back if you don't get retarded with your fincances
>>
>>7992794
Depends, if there is great demand you don't need a degree, if the field its saturated or doesn't need as many people, the degree its what gets you the job.

You don't need a degree to be a code monkey and become a senior programmer in a few years, proving your knogledge its enough, just try to learn something that isnt Java or PHP, I know people that didn't finish middle school and work as programmers, meanwhile I suck at it and being at uni I'm jobless.
>>
>>7992757

I don't know, but I want to do it!

Man, I just want to go to a state school this time, have an easy time and hit on the undergrad girls. Is this possible? Is it a waste of time and money?
>>
>>7992794
Usually the people with connections get the jobs that 10 others went on an interview for.
>>
>>7992831
If you enjoy something its never a waste of time.

I see +40 year olds in uni in 1st semester classes all the time (in public uni of course).
>>
never too old.

though at some point you have to ask your self if this is a useful use of your time. at some age, you are just better off going to the library and internet.
>>
At the local university in the 2nd-3rd year or so, you have mandatory classes at random times, for example something at 8:00 or 14:00hs, then the next semester (if not the same) something else at 22:00.

If you have to work its impossible.
>>
How old is too old to get your PhD? I want to go to for a PhD in math.
>>
File: 1442274449589.png (6KB, 349x328px) Image search: [Google]
1442274449589.png
6KB, 349x328px
>>7992757

WELL

My mum recently completed her law degree at 52 and is now working as junior counsel for one of the top criminal barristers in my state so...
>>
>>7992845
You're missing the key point here. I don't actually care about the learning... I can read books on my own. I mostly want to the second degree in something like "business" and more importantly to hit on undergrad girls.
>>
>>7992911
Do you think a balding 25 year old pharmacist has a chance with hitting on undergrad girls.
>>
>>7992911
I'm in electronic engineering now but I have considered something in business/administration if this doesn't work out, 80% girls, at least here.

In my current career in my the group I'm going, there are literally 40 dudes, one +50 yo ugly woman and one trannie, its depressing.
>>
>>7992757
an average career lasts 20 years. most people work for 40. people upgrade sometimes.
>>
File: 1453096618601.jpg (99KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1453096618601.jpg
99KB, 960x720px
>>7992757
Never

However if you have a job, say as engineer/ code monkey/ lab rat somewhere that you got through some means there really isn't any need to go back to school. Employers don't give a fuck about degrees or GPA they're more interested in experience.

I should know
>>
>>7992911
You could just go to a college bar on Thursdays and save yourself a fuck load of money.
>>
>>7992937
Is this the episode where Bobby found pills in Peggy's medicine and didn't know what they were?
>>
>>7992946
I have no idea. I just like the image.
>>
>>7992937
Yeah I'm more interested in going in order to pursue interests. I was halfway through a math degree before I switched to pharmacy to make money. Now that I'm financially secure I'm considering going back. I don't wanna feel out of place or too stupid though. I know I've probably forgotten most of the math I've learned.
>>
>>7992757
I'm late 20s. Studied pure math, got interested in another closely related field. Don't have the background to enroll in a graduate program for this field due to pre-reqs so completing those courses in a post-bac at a good school (one I wouldn't mind pursuing a PhD at).

It's worth it to me because my company pays the full tuition (benefit of my company). I am doing a one class a semester approach (due to work) and probably won't finish until I'm 30-31. Then plan to enroll in a MS/PhD. Probably won't have a PhD until 35. Still young and MUCH better than working a high stress job in the office I hate the rest of my life.

Most people in my position WOULDN'T leave industry like I plan to to pursue a PhD because the salaries are high. This means they'd have to adjust their lifestyles significantly. For me it isn't about the money and I cannot see myself waking up every day going to an office job. It kills me inside everyday I do it.

So, never too late. Plus, I look early 20s and I fit in just fine. Some people think I'm a freshman lol
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.