[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GPA

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: billcosby.gif (438KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
billcosby.gif
438KB, 500x376px
Why are GPAs used.
>inb4 I have a shitty GPA
But I know someone who is pretty damn good at what he does
>he's old as fuck (35)
>in engineering
>haunted by GPA he had as an 18 year old

Shouldn't we measure someone's most current aptitude at a subject
i.e. Measuring their latest attempt at a course?

Most of this shit is rote memorization that you'll forget and will probably never use again anyway

Why are your fuckups held against you for life and used as a measure of your current development, although they came beforehand?

Why don't education systems use like a GPMAX formula(in a system with cooldowns for class/test taking) wherein the best effort is considered
>>
>>7991886
haha u are low iq brainlet XD
>>
>>7991886
Most companies don't care what your GPA was after 10+ years in industry.
>>
>>7991916
Some industries, it's literally a non-issue after your first job.
>>7991886
GPA is useful for Grad school admittance. It is also useful in assessing a potentional hire, but IMO work experience and technical prowess (upon examination by the hiring powers) *may* be a more useful factor. So your buddy is fine, as while his GPA sucks, he does the job very well and knows his shit.
>>
>>7991886
>35
>old af
>>
>>7991925
>35
>undergrad
>>
>>7991886
Thinking someone who's 35 is old AF KEK
>>
>>7991924
/thread
>>
>>7991886
Companies are looking for people who can do tedious, boring, seemingly useless work at a basic level of competence over the course of 4+ years because that is what most jobs are.
>>
>mfw fucked up my BSc
>mfw see this thread
>mfw my MSc perfection won't fix my BSc fuck up.
Forced Master's after a Bachelor's fuck up is like the short-man syndrome of education. A forced subsequent P.hD is like leg lengthening surgery. I think I'll kill myself long before then.
>>
>>7992307
As far as I can tell, if your undergrad career is bad, you may as well just kill yourself.

There is literally nothing you can do except spend years and thousands of dollars on another degree to bolster it.
>>
>>7992396
T-thanks.

I'll give it a try though.
>>
>>7992404
I'm in the same boat.

I'll have a 4.0 this semester taking Orgo II, Biochem, Vertebrate Phsyiology, Public Speaking, and Immunology, but my overall GPA of 3.4 means I'll never be able to do anything with my life even though I'll finally developed a work ethic to go along with my intelligence.

If you weren't dedicated already, no point in changing. I'll probably just join the next Jackass-like group to come along.
>>
File: grin.png (572KB, 600x580px) Image search: [Google]
grin.png
572KB, 600x580px
>Putting your GPA on your resume
Might as well flat out state you have no practical skills or experience.
>>
>>7992412
>even though I'll finally developed a work ethic to go along with my intelligence

Mate you're no way as smart as you think you are if it's taken this long to develop a 'work ethic' (a prerequisite even burger flippers manage to acquire in short order)
>>
>>7993155
You'd be astounded how apathetic someone can be.
>>
>>7992412
nigga just do real good research and publish some papers while you're still an undergrad
or get an internship and ride that nepotism life if you're aiming for industry
literally the only people who care so much about gpa are those who have nothing else on their resume
>>
>>7991924
>GPA is useful for Grad school admittance.

Agree, it is useful. I'm in the life sciences, take this with a grain of salt. 3.0 in biochemistry in undergrad, took a few years off before going back to biophysics PhD program.

In my experiences (applying to grad school and helping in recruitment), GPA + GRE is used as a means to screen applicants. Programs have different methods but, in general, grades and test scores are scaled to quantitatively and uniformly assess "academic performance".

Once applicants pass screens, GPA is almost always a non-factor; GRE always is a non-factor. Research experience is most important, followed by letters of recommendation. Statements of purpose (read: what applicants want to accomplish in grad school, why applicants want to go to grad school) seem to be weighted differently at various programs.

If we don't mind sharing anecdotes, I've seen students with tremendous research experience (pubs + letters of rec from big-name professors) get passed to the interview stage without being subject to screens. On the other hand, I've seen students with 3.7+ GPAs get tossed for not having enough research experience.

I had a few temp positions in industry before going back to work as a tech in academia (before grad school). No one gave a shit about my GPA. It was research experience that mattered, more so techniques than projects. I latter asked around about what they looked for in applicants. The guys I talked to were senior research associates and associate scientists in their mid- to late-20s They'd been pretty successful, pulling at least high-fives to low-100s. None of them had over 3.0s, most seemed to have B-/C+ averages with a few bombs on their transcript. Didn't stop them from doing well.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.