[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Insect consciousness thread,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: Fruit fly.jpg (5KB, 263x192px) Image search: [Google]
Fruit fly.jpg
5KB, 263x192px
I know this question has been asked a few times, but let's have another one of these threads.

Do insects have consciousness? Are they conscious of their actions like we are?

Let's take a fruit fly (Drosophila), for example. A fruit fly can clearly find its way around an area. It can detect danger and fly away from it (e.g. me swiping my hand at it). It can carry out its biological actions, such as reproducing and laying its eggs. So, based on all that, would it be safe to say that flies are conscious and know what they are doing? What I'm asking is are they self-aware?

But on the other hand, they tend to fly towards any source of light and repeatedly bump into the window. Despite the fact that there is clearly an object preventing the fly from flying towards the light source, it continues to do so. Does this indicate a level of 'stupidity' in flies?
>>
>>7989028
Can an insect collapse a quantum mechanical wavefunction?
>>
>>7989036
C'mon, desu, be serious.

I want a serious scientific discussion on this topic. It's not explored enough.
>>
I think the consensus was insects neural system is very simple and is only hard wired to react to certain stimuli. Im not sure insects have much 'brain power' in the way we think of it i.e cephalized, central system
>>
>>7989065
Do they think about their actions, though? Do they think "that human is trying to kill me, I'd better fly away" or do they just *do*.

I don't really understand the insect's mindset or consciousness. I'd really love to know more.
>>
>>7989028
>Do insects have consciousness?
yes
>like we are?
obviously not
>>
Consciousness is nothing more than sensory feedback.
>>
>>7989175
It's more complicated than that.

The ability to process that feedback into intelligible thoughts is required too, which is something insects apparently don't have.

So, this leads me to a weird question I've thought of: If insects' conciousness are so primitive, do they experience orgasms during intercourse?
>>
>>7989201
>something insects apparently don't have
Evidence for this?
>>
>>7989325
I don't have evidence for it. That's the question I'm asking, anon! That's why I said 'apparently', because other anons on this boards seem to have the opinion that insects are incapable of intelligent thought.
>>
>But on the other hand, they tend to fly towards any source of light and repeatedly bump into the window

Well they fly towards a source of light during the night because they need the heat to survive. And about the window thing, let's be honest, if someone put an invisible wall in front you, you would bump in it like an idiot too. Their eyes are just not developed enough.
>>
>>7989561
Yeah, but I wouldn't bump into it repeatedly. Eventually I'd be like "there's an invisible wall there. Maybe I shouldn't bump into it constantly." Flies never catch on, though.
>>
http://relaximanentomologist.tumblr.com/post/51301520453/do-insects-feel-pain
>>
In my opinion consciousness is just our set of instinctual and learned responses to outside stimuli. By that measure, sure insects are conscience in that they respond to different stimuli, but their responses are a lot more pre-programmed and basic. Does that make them any less sentient? Asking these sorts of questions will always lead you to an arbitrary definition or a un-quantifiable measure of "conscience" or "sentience"
>>
>>7989133
>"that human is trying to kill me, I'd better fly away"

is that the defining aspect of your consciousness? do you think 'today i'm going to shitpost on 4chan' before you do it?
>>
>>7989028
um hello it's called a fly because it flies, not a think because it thinks
>>
>>7989201
>The ability to process that feedback into intelligible thoughts is required too, which is something insects apparently don't have.

Consciousness = transforming feedback into intelligible thoughts? Not sure many will agree with you on that, anon.
>>
>>7989028
>asking a question on consciousness
>on /sci/

Prepare for a thousand and one (identical) arguments for the gene machine and strict biological determinism.
>>
The way I see it, animals are just instinct and learning. Sadly, I don't have much to contribute other than that, and being Christian, I cannot offer a thorough scientific <----important) explanation of this from my current knowledge
>>
>>7989986
>determinism
This isn't a free will thread (where determinism would still be irrelevant).
>>
>>7989028
I don't think flies and other insects are conscious. Definitely not the same way we are conscious.

Their actions are based primarily on instinct, they don't have thoughts in the same way that we have thoughts. Not by a long shot. That isn't to say that other, cephalized animals may not be conscious though.

Some bacteria have a way of sensing light or darkness, they may move towards or away from light to suit their needs. Does that make them conscious of that action? Of course not, they are a single cell.

Stop anthropormophizing animals, the only way a fly might be conscious is is you expand the definition of "conscious" to include whatever it is that they experience.

Also, despite OP calling flies stupid, evolution has ensured that they will probably outlast our species because they are more fit for survival than apparently we are.
>>
>>7990036
>end thread
>>
>>7989028

>what the fuck is this shit
>is there a nice, moist eyeball i can speed into?
>look, garbage!
>7 days old, tfw middle aged
>is that the sun? better fly directly into it to be sure
>>
Maybe you should ask /his/ these types of topics are more philosophical than scientific.
>>
>Do insects have consciousness?
we can't even properly define consciousness scientifically speaking.
Are they conscious of their actions like we are?
see above
>A fruit fly can clearly find its way around an area. It can detect danger and fly away from it (e.g. me swiping my hand at it).
not the same thing at all. one is an autonomous function that is akin to a reflex, like you jerking your hand away from the stove top. that doesn't require self awareness. if you were brain dead and i placed a lighter underneath your hand it would still move away, albeit slowly.

>they tend to fly towards any source of light and repeatedly bump into the window.

they can take in stimulation but they aren't able to deduce core aspects of it. the light is an indication of open space to them, and anything black is an obstruction.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.