[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone demo how to find the sum to infinity of a series

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: LYXXgCH.jpg (661KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
LYXXgCH.jpg
661KB, 2448x3264px
Can someone demo how to find the sum to infinity of a series like this:

[eqn]1+ \frac{1} {x} + \frac{1} {x^2} + \frac{1} {x^3}+ \frac{1} {x^4}+... [/eqn]

?

>pic unrelated
>>
wiki geometric series, and its derivation, and there substitute
x for 1/x
>>
>>7987631
Fucking brits and their authoritarian behaviour
>>
>>7987651
>msu.edu
>Michigan State University
You do see the dollar signs on the left of the poster, right? Last I checked Britain used the pound.
>>
>>7987638

Ah, very helpful. So the sum to infinity is [math]\frac {x}{x-1}[/math].

>>7987651

its from Michigan actually
>>
>>7987659
Depends on the x
>>
File: example working.png (46KB, 862x280px) Image search: [Google]
example working.png
46KB, 862x280px
Okay, so I am working through the question in the picture, but my answer doesn't match up with the model one and I dont see why.

My working:

[eqn]x+2<\frac {x}{x-1}

\\(x-1)(x+2) < x
\\x^2 - 2 < 0
\\ \sqrt{2} < x < \sqrt{2}[/eqn]

but the question specifies x > 0 therefore

[eqn]x<\sqrt{2}
[/eqn]

Unfortunately this is not correct, and I don't know why. I can see the model answer multiplied by (1-x) squared, but I don't know why.

How did he know to do that?
>>
>>7987668

whoops, that final answer should obviously read
[eqn]0<x< \sqrt{2} [/eqn]

and i meant the model answer multiplied by (x-1) squared, not (1-x)
my bad
>>
>>7987657
>You do see the dollar signs on the left of the poster, right?
I didn't.
Even worse that posters like this exist in burgerland too.
>>
hey OP do you go to MSU? I do and live in cedar village lets have a 4chan meet
>>
>>7987651
LOL it's from Michigan State and it's about riots after sports games where drunk idiots flip cars and burn furniture.
>>
>>7987631
>Michigan State
Where are you from?
>>
>>7987668
Because (x-1)^2>0 and we are dealing with an inequality. If we multiply by (x-1) we don't know if it will flip it or not because we don't know the sign of x.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.