[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would you improve math education?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: 817UK7oRdoL.jpg (458KB, 1247x1829px) Image search: [Google]
817UK7oRdoL.jpg
458KB, 1247x1829px
How would you improve math education?
>>
>>7987158

Before university:

Someone post it.

After university:

Read textbooks. You're an adult for gods sake.
>>
>>7987161
>Someone post it.
https://www.maa.org/external_archive/devlin/LockhartsLament.pdf
>>
Don't pass an child who did not achieve a passing grade do to fear of social repercussions to the sudent. If a mixed age class rooms are required then just do it.
>>
>>7987338
What the fuck are you trying to say?
>>
>>7987425
not the person you're replying to but he's referring to this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_promotion
>>
>>7987430
Interesting read, though it only happened in my (second world) country.
>>
teach calculus in kindergarten
>>
File: 1456175143905.jpg (31KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
1456175143905.jpg
31KB, 480x320px
>>7987442
Calculus in kindergarten? Yeah if you want to be in the "special" classes. They should be done with Rudin by the time they're entering Pre-K
>>
>>7987158
Not educate children in America
>>
>>7987158
Cut out all the pointless bullshit in schools (Stem & leaf diagram anyone?) And split maths into pure & applied at higher levels. People into applied maths could go into stats or mechanics while pure people could co into more deatil on calculus & analysis
>>
>>7987533
>stem and leaf diagrams
>displaying statistical data easily with obvious immediate real world applications for normies
>pointless
>>
File: science and math education fixed.png (119KB, 1216x970px) Image search: [Google]
science and math education fixed.png
119KB, 1216x970px
>>7987158

Stop treating public schools as daytime child prisons and use the 12 years to actually teach material. Most children are dying of boredom in school from barely doing anything.
>>
stratify, stratify, stratify, segregation wasn't the right way to do it but those who learn more similarly should learn together. The cream rises to the top no matter what but we need to acknowledge and take a more aptitude based approach and not mismatch individuals.
>>
>>7987991
>Aptitude tests
>Psychology is not a meme

God, Anon.

Anyway, I don't wanna bash and not provide an alternative. In my opinion the solution is:
>Do what Singapore does.
>>
File: GIRAFEPOSITN.jpg (63KB, 800x581px) Image search: [Google]
GIRAFEPOSITN.jpg
63KB, 800x581px
By not spending six years in grade school learning how to add/subtract/multiply and instead condensing it into a single year.
>>
>>7988005
psychometrics is the only aspect of psychology (with little exaggeration) which is actually replicable.
what exactly does singapore do?
>>
http://quantitativereasoning.net/
>>
File: lordy.jpg (51KB, 848x480px) Image search: [Google]
lordy.jpg
51KB, 848x480px
>How would you improve math education?
Education is as good as it is going to get in a free country where children are not expected to whittle away their very brief childhoods in a chair. What has to improve is not the education. It's the way these children are fucking raised.
Anyone who has kids, and wants those kids to flourish in whatever they do, needs to be prepared for a cradle to uni commitment. Children up to 13 get to slack off and develop emotionally, while also forming connections with other children. From 13 and onward, the child needs to be GRADUALLY given more and more responsibilities to prepare them for the real world. Some sort of creative hobby that they have to practice and cultivate, volunteer work, or even an under-the-table job. They need to get better at time management, they can have most ,if not all, of their school work done before they even come home, if they spend their time between classes and at lunch wisely. Attendance at school should also penalize grades past this point. 3 sick days is plenty, before you start docking a quiz's worth of points for each absence.

Most people don't do this second phase. They cuddle and spoil the shit out of their kids until they're 12, but they fail to follow through and actually initiate the child into society (or worse, the parents themselves are uninitiated, and don't know or care about such things), so most kids come out of high school about as competent as your average 12 year-old, and they stay that way until their fucking 20's.
>>
>>7987533
>split maths into pure & applied at higher levels

There's no difference until you get to grad school
>>
>>7987533
>pure people could co into more deatil on calculus & analysis
>pure
>calculus
>>
>>7987158
>be "fairly" smart in school
>get mostly A's
>only get bad grades when I'm being an idiot
>move to another school a few states away down into the south
>I know more than the teachers
>all the curriculum was what we did over 5 years before
>most of it is actually incorrect
>get straight F's because I refuse to play along with all their horrific propaganda bullshit

I'm going to have to say this >>7987530 100% so.
>>
>>7988076
>Most people don't do this second phase. They cuddle and spoil the shit out of their kids until they're 12, but they fail to follow through and actually initiate the child into society (or worse, the parents themselves are uninitiated, and don't know or care about such things), so most kids come out of high school about as competent as your average 12 year-old, and they stay that way until their fucking 20's.

This is how manchildren are raised.
>>
>>7987986
I believe 4th-8th grade is fractions, x+5=10, and anything related to the above statements (namely associative and commutative properties), 8th and 9th grade is Algebra 1 & 2 which is generally the same content, 10th which is geometry, i.e. lw=area. 11th is precalculus which is mostly the same content with logarithms, trigonometry and limits, and I had the option of AP Calc at senior year which I enjoyed a lot. Could prob condense Algebra and teach geometry at a lower grade (7th or 8th), and just start wherever the student feels comfortable learning (whether its stats, calc, abstract, or w/e they're interested in outside mathematics).
>>
>>7989318
I have kids who recently were in middle school. FWIW they do learn geometry and some probability in 7th and 8th grade. My youngest boy starts Algebra II next year as a freshman and should be in Calculus as a junior. Here in Texas he can take a dual enrollment stats course for college credit his senior year. That's better than what I had growing up in New England.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.