[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 2

File: images.png (11KB, 324x289px) Image search: [Google]
images.png
11KB, 324x289px
What americans learn in high school math?
>>
>>7986037
I got up to calculus
>>
When you learn fraction division and multiplication?
>>
>>7986043
Elementary school
>>
>>7986037
Calculus, for the most part. However, I received my primary education at a somewhat unconventional K-12 school, and the way they taught math was, "Here's the textbook, work through the lessons and ask the teacher for help if you need it." So, the curriculum was really only limited by the knowledge of the teacher, and you could probably just take courses at a 4-year if you managed to get that far.
>>
9th grade: algebra
10th grade: geometry
11th grade: trigonometry
12th grade: analytic geometry / precalc
>>
>>7986296
What do grades correspond in terms of pupil age ? 12th grade = 18 yo ?
>>
>>7986300
Something like that. I took calc 1 in 12th grade. Some people go up to calc 2 in high school.
>>
>>7986037
6th & 7th - Standard mathematics, working up to fundamental algebra
8th - Pre-Algebra
9th - Algebra I
10th - Geometry
11th - Algebra II
12th - Precalculus

I don't recall the exact content covered in each of these classes... Hope this was sorta helpful.
>>
>>7986037
>9th - Algebra I
>10th - Geometry
>11th - Algebra II/ Pre Calc/ Stats
>12th - Pre Calc/ Calc/ Stats
>>
http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2016/03/10/469831485/americas-high-school-graduates-look-like-other-countries-high-school-dropouts

Kinda sad, really.
>>
canada which is close to USA (kinda)

9 - pre-algebra, algebra 1
10 - algebra 1 cont, algebra 2
11 - pre calculus, some statistics is also mixed in
12 - pre calculus mixed with trig, and a slightly simplier version of calculus 1

this is if you took all of the available math that was offered. IB was also an option at my highschool but i am not sure how far those respective curricula go (there's an SL and HL version of IB math)
>>
>>7986310
Thanks
>>
>>7986300

Let me present a sample rubric of the American (Prussian?) public education system, or "K-12". This consists of 13 annual grades, and usually with summer breaks between grades. The baseline achievement in American education is a high school diploma, or equivalent, earned on or about age 18 unless the person is a total loser. The below three institutions are typically separated into different buildings, as students of different age groups have different needs, and ageism is a thing.

------------------------------------K-5, +-1: "Elementary School"
Age 5-6: Kindergarten
6-7: 1st grade
7-8: 2nd grade
8-9: 3rd grade
9-10: 4th grade
10-11: 5th grade
--------------------------------5th-8th or possibly 6th-8 grade: "Junior high school", or "Middle school":
11-12: 6th grade
12-13: 7th grade
13-14: 8th grade
---------------------------------9th-12 grade: "High School"
14-15: 9th grade, or "Freshman year"
15-16: 10th grade, or "Sophomore year"
16-17: 11th grade, or "Junior year"
17-18: 12th grade, or "Senior year"

Individual ages may vary by a year depending on one's birthday or ability (being held back a grade, skipping ahead a grade), but the above should be an extremely familiar chart to most Americans. After this it's off to college, CC, trade school, and/or dropping the fries.
>>
>>7986037
Freshman year of high school I did trigonometry
Sophomore year of HS I did Calc 1 (single variable)
Junior year I did calc 2 (multivariable)
Senior year I did linear algebra and diff eqns
>>
>>7986876
should note I had to walk to a community college for those last 2 years, calc 1 was the furthest offered at my HS
>>
>>7986037
9th: Geometry
10th: Advanced Algebra
11th: Pre-calc / trig
12th: Calculus
>>
>>7986296
wut?
>>
I went to a small "Independent" public school, which was a little bit of the standard public, a little bit of Latin school, a little bit of magnet school all wrapped in one building. Basically, my hometown established a publicly-funded school before the state instituted a system of public schools (in 1860, to be precise). The town fought hard to keep their school and to keep it public, so the state gave them an miniscule zoning district and a shoestring budget for decades. However, to keep the quality of the school high, the local government began to progressively raise the tax for residents. In addition, people from out of the tiny district began paying huge tuitions to go to the school because of the standard of excellence. Anyways, 100 more years of that and you have the one of the best "public" elementary, middle, and high schools, in the country-despite all of these being housed in the same building. I went there from kindergarten all the way through my senior year of high school (the "elementary" [K-6] and "high school" [7-12] are separated by a shared cafetorium in the center). Anyways, we got a ton of freedom in curriculum compared to the other schools in the state, for example I got all the way through Calculus BC by the end of my junior year and spent my entire senior year dedicated to all of the AP sciences--all 4 of which were taught by the same teacher, a retired Dow chemist. It's an amazing and unique system despite being in a very irrelevant location.

I did not intend for this to be a small essay, I just realized that I never really get to tell anyone about how cool my academic upbringing was.
>>
They mostly teach algebra, and mathematical concepts like functions and sets. They teach trig right before derivatives
>>
I don't know about others but for me it went
9th: Algebra 2/Trig
10th: Pre-Calc
11th: Calc
12th: Linear Algebra
>>
10th: Algebra 2
11th: Trigonometry
12th: Calculus 1
>>
8th-9th Algebra
10th Trigonometry
11th Calculus (Calculus I)

We don't have 12th grades. Curriculum wasn't optional everybody have to take it and pass or repeat the scholar year. Some third world country.
>>
algebra
Geometry + Algebra II
Pre-Cal
Calculus I (& maybe II, not sure, some integrals, no series)
>>
>>7986037
9th: Algebra/geometry
10th: Precalc
11th: Calc I, II
12th: Calc III
>>
For non advanced students,

9th Algebra
10th Geometry
11th Algebra 2
12th Pre-Calculus

Americans are stupid as shit at math on average.
>>
>Geometry
>Algebra 2
>Pre-Calculus (harder than college cal to be honest)
>Statistics
My stats teacher was a fucking based god, thank you Mr. Kiker.
>>
Do you guys really split the topics up by years?

In Australia we do all the topics every year, but go more advanced each year

In most states, there's also optional advanced math classes, basically first year engineering math
>>
>>7986037
2+2, I may have killed your cat.
>>
>>7987310
>In most states, there's also optional advanced math classes, basically first year engineering math
We have something like that.
4th year, if you're not a dumbass, you get to choose your science and math courses.
At my HS it was:
>Cal 1 and 2 (condensed)
>Statistics (college level)
>Introduction to Engineering
>Advanced Quantitative Reasoning (Lashawndra has two eggs...)

And for Science:
>AP Physics (basically phys 1)
>AP Chemistry (basically chem 1)
>AP Biology
>AP Environmental Science (lel)
>Earth and Space Science (AKA rocks for jocks)
>Aquatic Science (AKA "let's go fishing, your test is naming the four oceans")
>>
>>7986876
>>7986876
Calc 2 is series and sequences though
>>
>>7987965

The phrases "Calc 1, Calc 2, Calc 3" are just some made up bullshit which Americans are familiar with, which don't actually describe the content that's being covered in a given class. Of course, it is also possible that the above poster mis-remembered the content of his class.

For example, my experience of "Calc 2" was your sequences and series, together with techniques of integration. Although common, neither of these can be assumed to be /universal/ to whatever an individual might remember as "calc 2". After all the other guy might have been in a goofy high school somewhere where they called multivariable calc "Calc 2" for whatever reason. HS systems and university systems are quite different from each other. Also if he was doing all that in an American secondary school, there's good odds he went to some sort of a private or special school, or else an uncommonly good, extreme outlier public high school. I can assure you, without even knowing the actual number, that very few American public high schools are devoting whole classes, serious blocks of study, to multivariable calculus.
>>
File: GIRAFENPSOTIN.jpg (222KB, 880x1178px) Image search: [Google]
GIRAFENPSOTIN.jpg
222KB, 880x1178px
>>7986037
They learned more than EU.
>>
>>7987965
I did that in calc 1
>>
>>7988006
It was a public high school that was down the street from a cc where I took multivariable

I don't remember the numbers, the multivariable may have been 3
>>
>>7986037
They learn how to plug and chug.

I tutor at a local jc and there are kids in calc 2 who still have problems with basic trig concepts. This isn't a inner city jc either, it's in a relatively wealthy area.

In high school, teachers have an incentive to teach wrt the standardized tests. When these kids get to upper division classes they crash and burn because of the lack of a good foundation. That's one of the reasons why most engineering majors drop out.

The kids that succeed are either highly motivated-either fiscally or forced to be motivated by their helicopter parents- or they truly love the field they're going in.

The good thing is if a kid is actually interested in a particular topic in stem, all he or she-inb4 she?- has to do is go online and open a PDF or OCW lecture.
>However, I don't think its going to be first world kids taking advantage of these resources...
>>
>>7986037
9th grade (14-15): Geometry
10th grade (15-16): Algebra II
11th grade (16-17): Precalculus
12th grade (17-18): Calculus

Of course, that all might get dumbed down by a year or two if you don't keep up. My highschool only required you to take Algebra II to graduate.
>>
>>7987219
underage b& incoming
>>
>>7987293
On average, whites in America score higher than Europeans.
>>
>>7986037
dumb people in my school
>Algebra 1
>Geometry
>Some weird state exam class
>Algebra 2

The "best of the best" people
>Algebra 1
>Geometry/Algebra 2
>Pre-calculus
>Calculus (only like 30 people were in it, only 3(including me)) This class was not for the smart but for those that wanted to rank higher.
>>
>>7988058

I thought of that, that several anons might have taken college coursework while attenting high school, another common practice for gifted high school students. However, let's suppose that that's true of this post >>7986876 . Notice how the languate of the post (among others in the thread) makes it sound like they actually took the class in/at their high school, which given our assumption is misleading.

This just goes to reinforce my earlier point that American public high schools don't actually teach multivariable calc in situ. Thank you, anon.
>>
>>7986862
Got it ; thanks
>>
Depends on the school. I finished high school with Calc I(Ab Calculus), although the minimum requirement for graduation was Algebra II and many just got that far.
>>
For my school:

8th grade: Algebra 1
9th grade: Geometry and Algebra 2
10th grade: Precalculus and Calculus AB
11th grade: Calculus 1 and Calculus 2
12 grade: Calculus 3 and Differential Equations
>>
>>7986037
Nothing honestly.
>>
8th: Algebra I
10th: Algebra II
11th: Pre-Cal
12th: IB Math SL (the class was roughly 50% entry level Prob Stat, 25% Pre-Cal, and 25% Intro to single variable Differential and Integral Calc)

I wish my high school math teachers weren't total dog shit. I made B+ and A- all through school, but when I got to college I made a 4.0 in College Algebra because I had an amazing professor who was in love with the subject matter, skipped Pre-Cal by taking the ALEKS test, and went on to make a 4.0 in Calc I.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.