[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's get an unpopular opinion thread going. /sci/ edition.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 240
Thread images: 33

File: pig for lunch.png (162KB, 354x257px) Image search: [Google]
pig for lunch.png
162KB, 354x257px
Let's get an unpopular opinion thread going.

/sci/ edition.
>>
>>7984254
Complex analysis is more eye opening and fundamental than Real analysis.
>>
Most human beings are not sentient.
>>
>>7984262
>Most human beings are not sentient.
I like you.

Here's mine:
We don't have enough to do to keep everybody busy doing something useful.
The whole "he fell for the STEM meme" meme is caused by everybody seeking out the "good" jobs creating a flood in the STEM job market.
But it's true in nearly all fields.
Before 1980, Murrica had a trade surplus.
We exported far more than we imported.
Today we import more than we export, but we have about the same level of employment.
Clearly, we're creating busy work.
>>
>>7984259
I thought these were supposed to be unpopular opinions?
>>
medicine is not any more difficult than engineering
>>
>>7984284
Depends. In engineering, you have time to think, even in engineering emergencies like a dam breaking. Imagine you're a surgeon and your patients blood pressure just dropped. They have a bunch of symptoms that mean different things. You have to figure it out immediately.
>>
We have, for the most part, reached our limits technologically.

Now we wait for the aliums.
>>
>>7984295
The title of the thread is "unpopular opinions", not wrong opinions.
>>
File: X on SCI.png (31KB, 694x968px) Image search: [Google]
X on SCI.png
31KB, 694x968px
>>7984254
Pretty much this image.
>>
>>7984292
> surgeon
> bp dropped
You probably nicked something
>>
Irrational numbers don't exist.

A substantial proportion of scientific papers published today might as well be disregarded because the numerical simulations they use depend on pseudo-random number generators with inadequate entropy.

There is obviously a great deal of liquid water saturating the soil just inches below the martian surface.

Cave exploration is reckless because it could introduce pathogens to which surface species have no immunity. The activity should be heavily regulated by governments if not banned outright.
>>
>>7984401
Nice try N.J.
>>
All math is lies.

You can't quantify the real world properly. Because of this, all math is just terribly done variables. This is why you can literally make up bullshit in math that can't really exist in real life.
>>
Niggers need to be shot and killed on sight
>>
>>7984401
>A substantial proportion of scientific papers published today might as well be disregarded because the numerical simulations they use depend on pseudo-random number generators with inadequate entropy.

Agreed
>>
>>7984521
>>7984415

I need to throw some noise on one of my simulated motors to test my controller.
How do I do this right?
>>
>>7984274
Does the transference from a manufacturing trade to a service trade constitute as busy work?

Sure there are a lot of paper-pushers, but computers are only now becoming able to properly push paper.
>>
>>7984401
>There is obviously a great deal of liquid water saturating the soil just inches below the martian surface.
Do you know what happens to water on the martian surface?

I'll give you a hint: it doesn't freeze.
>>
>>7984387
wat is this supposed to be?
>>
I would like to preface this by saying that I have the utmost respect for pure math and physics majors, but I feel like the majority of the anti-engineering sentiment comes from remorse over not going into it.
>>
>>7984629
>Implying there isn't a huge ass volcano under mars heating up the surface
duh you dumb nigger
>>
>>7984655
Cmon man I even gave you the hint.

The atmosphere is too thin, liquid water would evaporate on Mars a decent way into the ground. Making it hotter would increase the rate of evaporation.
>>
File: 1459503403971.jpg (46KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
1459503403971.jpg
46KB, 1440x900px
mathematics is not some grand noble pursuit which exempts you from a worthless existence
being good at mathematics doesn't make you a better or more useful person
real life will take every given opportunity to shit on you for enjoying mathematics

take it from a 3rd year math major

please kill me
>>
Being a helpful and encouraging lecturer is just as important as being an intelligent one.
>>
The current push against encouraging talented students to go into String Theory is a huge mistake that is going to set us back decades.
>>
File: mfw mai-chan no nichijou.png (155KB, 537x386px) Image search: [Google]
mfw mai-chan no nichijou.png
155KB, 537x386px
>>7984688
>>
>>7984719
But why, anon? We've had ropes for decades, I don't see what other advances we could make...
>>
>>7984254
>Pure math is for autists
>In general enjoying math is kind of aspie
>>
This is sometimes popular in certain circles, but

>The idea that you can describe everything in physics with maths is naive and is doomed to fail.
>>
>>7984274
>We don't have enough to do to keep everybody busy doing something useful.
...and yet, there are so many trade-skills about to die out once baby boomers die out...

Fuck this world is twisted...there's plenty to do, we just need to stop outsourcing. This includes technology.

How's that for an unpopular opinion.
>>
>>7984254

global warming is Jewish conspiracy
>>
File: 1430790675194.jpg (40KB, 397x394px) Image search: [Google]
1430790675194.jpg
40KB, 397x394px
Knowledge structures are reducible and transferable and any reasonably intelligent person could learn to do any other person's job no matter how much training it "required" by observing it closely for less than 3 months. Most of what academic knowledge consists of is packaging fluff, this is done because if it were realized how few humans it took to do useful things and how few humans are doing useful things now society would collapse into ennui and the general realization that working is largely pointless.

Your degree's contents could be conferred upon someone half your intelligence in less than a year and they would not only be better liked than you are at your job they'd probably get laid while they were at it because having an IQ above 120 is a harmful mutation which produces a difficult and inferior drone prone to mental illness and I strongly believe such people to be the only people who commit suicide.

I will make more money selling drugs in a year than you will in ten years.
>>
Normies are kinda stupid
>>
Consciousness is fundamental. Atoms or even electrons may be conscious.
>>
>>7984828
Smoking pot out of a dirty meth pipe? Only in RuneScape...
>>
>>7984393
Spotted the engineer lol
>>
>>7984817
global warming exists
>>
I think most STEM majors have shit taste in everything
>>
Aspies are objectively superior to neurotypicals

Mass extermination of non-aspies is not merely beneficial but also necessary if we ever hope to build a truly just civil society in the future, or at least one founded on anything more than demagogy, duplicity and dumbassery.

Historical materialism is both a predictive science and the only foundation we can use to successfully resist the postmodern devil
>>
Drawing is harder than calculus
>>
>>7984843
You sound like Yukio Mishima desu. Do you fantasize about being a hard gay samurai poet by any chance?
>>
>>7984650
I'm in both and I can guarantee you that my anti-engineering sentiment comes from the inane busy-work, lower quality professors, annoying as hell business-like ethos, shallow treatment of problems whose solutions techniques were cherry picked from brilliant and rich fields of math, and general feeling that engineering is math with less scope, consistency, and talent and with more mindless application of theorems, business suits, lab work, and boring as hell technical papers.

You have no idea how many times a question is bounced around an engineering department, no one can figure it out, and they don't even consider calling a mathematician because they don't actually realize a mathematician could solve it easily because they don't realize what mathematicians do and don't realize even the most abstract oriented mathematician is still problem solvers like them - but better.
>>
>>7984688
fantasy is to perception as mathematics is to physics
>>
>>7984274
>He doesn't know what a post-industrial economy is
>>
>>7984828
You couldn't train my mathematical and programming abilities into someone in 4 years, let alone less than one.
You could MAYBE tell the thousands of definitions, algorithms, techniques, and theorems I know to someone in that time, MAYBE.

But it wouldn't be in their automatic memory, they would have cultivated no mental landscape of the field, they wouldn't recognize like situations immediately, they couldn't create novel solutions from experience, at best would be able to solve only the most trivial of problems.

The map is not land.

>"Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself" (Arthur Conan Doyle)

If you truly believe your post all you've convinced me of is that you are aware what you do can be learned in less than three months by anyone smarter than you (which there are probably a lot of)
>>
science > popular science
and yes, it's an unpopular opinion :^)
>>
>ITT: Edgy, uneducated opinions

And you faggots aspire to be scientists?
>>
>>7984883
Yeah I could just get a hundred Indians and Pakis to learn your dumb shit at 1 tenth the cost in 6 months.
>>
>>7984843
>Not embracing postmodernism

How does it feel that your kind will be insignificant in a few decades?
>>
>>7984897
why stop with 100 indians when you get 1,000 monkeys to do it for free, or even better, 10,000 lemmings
>>
>>7984828
>I have never done any real work in my life but it doesn't matter because nothing ever takes effort anyways (Not that I would know that from experience, since I have never accomplished anything)
>>
>>7984688
Weltschmerz is a real feeling and it is terrible to have.
>>
>>7984900
Isn't that just retarded neo-Romanticism? Go back to smoking weed out of your massive Dragon Dildo bong while you swirl inside your sensory deprivation tank.
>>
>>7984852
Thanks for reminding me why I dropped engineering for math
>>
>>7984883
so what your saying is we can replace you with a computer in 3 months?
>>
>>7984909
I'd like to remind you that this is a board supposedly dedicated to science and your shitty rethoric can't cloak your retarded strawman argument
>>
>>7984254
I am the only human I ever met.
>>
>>7984914
If by computer you mean Artificial General Intelligence, then yes, otherwise no

Unfortunately AGI's are some 20 years off
>>
>>7984921
It's a garbage tier, literally meme comedy philosophy that wants to rebrand hedonism as something intellectual. Die in a ditch in a puddle of your own jizz and vomit.
>>
>>7984926
The passion of conservatives will serve as the epitaph of their bygone ideals
>>
File: 1459791816385.gif (82KB, 478x358px) Image search: [Google]
1459791816385.gif
82KB, 478x358px
>>7984852
Hello, this is the Engineering department please help with the following problem
>In three space dimensions and time, given an initial velocity field, there exists a vector velocity and a scalar pressure field, which are both smooth and globally defined, that solve the Navier–Stokes equations.

Oh you got your brightest boy Terrence Tao on the job, that's nice

Can you please let us know the time frame?
>>
>>7984904
there's more Indians than monkey and lemmings.
>>
>>7984908
It's called depression
>>
>>7984908
i feel like nothing named weltschmerz could be terrible
>>
File: visionary.jpg (46KB, 460x287px) Image search: [Google]
visionary.jpg
46KB, 460x287px
>>7984883

I acknolwedge coding as a craft rather than a science and I acknowledge than experience is more valuable to craft generally. However because it's coding specifically I must point out that evolutionary algorithms already generally write better software than humans do, the boomtown attitude around your craft will die down and you will be replaced with a machine as all crafters are. You will work to refine the coding of the very machines that are to replace your craft and it will probably be the fastest death of human mastery of a craft in human history.

Though on the subject of crafting I must cite another unpopular opinion that especially the realm of craft but most probably in everything the apprenticeship system is utterly superior in creating true mastery. Most human beings will never be afforded the opportunity to observe a master at any type of work because they are few and far between precisely because their knowledge structures are so easily reproduced and stored. If my assertion wasn't true the technological corpus wouldn't have built up at the rate it has and we would still be mastering the finer points of knapping flint.

The finest technology will be the technology of teaching and the transference of knowledge which is forthcoming - a technology that will sunder meritocracy and free knowledge structures from the dick-waving contests of insufficiently self-aware biological forms.

We know how this will be accomplished - but unlike the Prophet Kaczinsky I will welcome our machine mother.
>>
>>7984941
You're implying there are engineers that could solve that millenium problem as stated.

You are conflating to very different problems. And I guarantee it would be much easier to teach Terry Tao to run babby's first engineering simulation than it would be to have an engineer pick up his Navier-Stokes progress. Hell Terry will even understand the simulation more deeply while running it.
>>
>>7984951
You do realize I am in Math&CSE, in that order, specifically for the ends you have list
>>
>>7984953
You made it clear that shit got bounced around in Eng department without solutions.

Also my bright boy Terry is wasting his time trying to solve the Navier-Stokes, and I can't imagine how many great minds are wasted on doing the pointless instead of setting foot into the engineering departments and donning some engineering lab coats and doing engineering instead of jerking off to knots and strings.
>>
>>7984946
It's the feeling of depression + apathy when you realise that reality is shit compared to the romanticised ideal.

>mathematics is not some grand noble pursuit
i.e. mathematics being romanticised.
>>
>>7984852
I'm trying to remember the last time an engineering problem I worked on was solved by a mathematician and not by doing something like rearranging the chips so theres fewer crossed paths.

I don't know why mathematians think their gods of engineering. Hard engineering problems aren't math problems.
Yeah we use math, but we also use physics, art and business.

I think math and physics students who hate engineering took a couple engineering theory classes and think thats all we do. Apply their pet theory
>>
>>7984959
>wasting his time trying to solve the Navier-Stokes

I hope you realize Terry Tao is one of the most prolific __Applied__ Mathematicians merely from his occasional publications of math with real world applications to appease mouth breathers like yourself.

And we wouldn't have modern engineers if it weren't for Newton and Liebniz jerking off to infinitesimal.

>You made it clear that shit got bounced around in Eng department without solutions.
Since you are so dense let me rephrase my point:
The problems that can be solved in an engineering department are a strict subset of the problems that can be solved by in a math department. If you think otherwise you don't actually know what mathematicians do.
>>
>>7984973
What do you think mathematicians do?
List the skills you think a mathematician hones.
>>
>>7984987
Turn coffee into theorems.

What do you think an engineer does? Plug and chugs your precious equation?
>>
>>7984966
romanticized isn't exactly what i'd call it
i was always a stupid, useless loser, and i figured that if i went to college got good at something, i could justify my existence
math just happened to be what i turned to for that escapism, and now i'm a broke, stupid and useless loser who is slightly better at mathematics than most people
>>
>>7984990
I am also an engineer you twat. It's mostly pointless meetings, running specially made software to solve certain problems like FEA, and bunch of heuristic practical solutions to really specific problems.

Now stop deflecting and answer my question
>>
File: baitedme.jpg (19KB, 621x569px) Image search: [Google]
baitedme.jpg
19KB, 621x569px
>>7984979
Do you know how I know you are some brainlet?

You imagine that there are clear delineations between STEM fields when research and research grants are involved. There are no such delineations. Jobs are held by those who can complete tasks.
>>
>>7984987
Clearly, masturbation is a big part of it.
>>
>>7984987
Dig holes and then fill them again
>>
>>7985003
I imagine no such thing I am merely referring to different points on the continuum and don't know why you are assuming otherwise
>>
>>7984998
Real mathematicians: prove theorems
Fake mathematicians: create actuary tables

So you don't think specialty software is enough?
Why doesnt everyone just hire mathematicians instead of chemists, physicists, and engineers?
Im sure a mathematician could create HPLC methods with a little extra training too.
>>
>>7985008
>You have no idea how many times a question is bounced around an engineering department, no one can figure it out, and they don't even consider calling a mathematician because they don't actually realize a mathematician could solve it easily because they don't realize what mathematicians do and don't realize even the most abstract oriented mathematician is still problem solvers like them - but better.
>The problems that can be solved in an engineering department are a strict subset of the problems that can be solved by in a math department. If you think otherwise you don't actually know what mathematicians do.

So from these statement mathematicians do not try to apply for research grants to solve engineering problems but must be consulted like oracles. If there is an overlap of Engineers and Mathematicians then they cannot solve problems when they join Engineering departments.

Whatever brainlet, I'm going to work to solve some real problems.
>>
>>7985021
You'd be able to solve your real problems better if you had more formal math education
>>
>>7984688
Uhhh, n-n-nice d-dubs, i guess..
>>
File: Alexis-de-Tocqueville.jpg (64KB, 480x226px) Image search: [Google]
Alexis-de-Tocqueville.jpg
64KB, 480x226px
>>7984956

That is exactly why I have stated that you will help to craft the machine mother however distantly. Do not worry, your caste will be favored, you will be the priesthood and you will not suffer physically.

>>7985016

Poor people: Are in academia
Rich people: Work for a living

Actuarial work is $90,000 a year to start and doesn't require that some dickhead who's too busy trying to fuck the girls feminist STEM-takeover nonsense brought to his doorstep write you a letter where he sucks your dick in order to keep being even considered for work. Science is a shattered, egotistical farce which resembles true meritocracy only it's most vauge and spiritual ideologies. Machines will correct this as they correct all errors born of ego.
>>
>>7984688
It's going to take you at least 3 years to get your undergraduate degree? Well shit, I'd want to kill myself too if it took that long for a bachelor's degree.
>>
>>7984415
>math corresponds to real life
Nice meme. Math is just a system of symbols following certain typographical rules.
>>
>>7985180
hey it got us to the moon
>>
>>7985182
Nah that was the engineers and their engineering. They don't do math, they just use it as a tool in their art.
>>
I am not special.
>>
>>7985211
it's not your fault
>>
>>7984274
>We don't have enough to do to keep everybody busy doing something useful.
And soon enough I'll replace most of you useless leaches with AI (no joke)
>>
>>7984387
>Computer Science jobs
What? There's tons of research positions in industry
>>
>>7985211
we need to force this into the minds of other humans with the least physiological trauma caused possible.

boom philosophy is a science. ave sparta without the sects.
>>
>>7985211
>tfw i'm special
bite me nerds
>>
>>7984259
I agree with you. This is supposed to be an arguing thread isn't it. Dammit can't even get my arguing straight.
>>
>>7984415
What do you mean with it is "lies". It can be turned into something useful and put to work, that's more than you can say about many people these days.
>>
Yep as most of R&D done in the states literally tons, you need a index of at least tractor wheels to even qualify for internship and the mean radius for professional "senior" positions are just plain disgusting.
>>
File: lol safe.jpg (43KB, 650x432px) Image search: [Google]
lol safe.jpg
43KB, 650x432px
>>7985248
you are a unique individual like errbody else ;)
>>
>>7985264
nice projecting technique my man
>>
>>7985265
I am indeed projecting and yet and yet and yet

ever visit camden at night friend?
>>
>>7985244
It would be convenient for rich people if skilled people did not understand their value. Then they could push the wages much much harder.
>>
>>7985271
it would be convenient if everyone forgot about them 3 religions and developed a healthy taste for violence imo but I am a neanderthal somewhere down the line maybe so take that as you will
>>
>>7985268
gf studies art at CSM so i'm well acquainted with cool special kids my man. too bad that for most of these kids the nightmare is real and they ain't shit
>>
>>7985285
never claimed to be shit. im a dirty nigger at the end of the day stretched thin on drugs and a lack of positive emotions.

you sound like you got quite the ego my nigger ;P
>>
>>7985282
Well back in the days of organized religion people looked down at the heathens and pagans. We always think we are living in the enlightened times and that we are the "good guys".

The worst nasties of religion was information monopoly all the time. In that regard we haven't got even a tiny bit better.

It is not religions that brings along crusades, it is advances in information technology leading to fear of or actual loss of information control.
>>
>>7984254
Social science is the best science
>>
Dark Matter is real, MOND is meme science.
>>
Terrence Tao used to watch anime and play PC vidya, get rekt son I'm on my way to become a math genius.
>>
>>7985389
Terrence Tao is a hack.
>>
File: 280x157-cKu.jpg (317KB, 2054x1152px) Image search: [Google]
280x157-cKu.jpg
317KB, 2054x1152px
>>7985389
>>
>>7984929
>>7984900
>defending the intellectual foundations of critical theory
>on a science board

>>7984851
No but I do fantasize about shadowrunning irl
>>
>>7984535
Nuclear decay or upper atmosphere particle interactions.
>>
global warming is primarily caused by nanoparticles from non human sources and has nothing to do with CO_2
>>
>>7984387
Nigger what? that entire image is "hurr we have never observed it therefore it doesn't exist" therefore why isn't string theory on the list, it has a lot less experimental evidence than anti-matter. In fact nigger we have observed anti-matter and we just observed black holes a few months ago.
>>
>>7984890
>comes to a 4chan unpopular opinion thread
>complains that it's too edgy
>>
I enjoyed taking some humanities classes as opposed to taking all math all of the time.
>>
>>7985264
Hesus is America really that bad?
>>
>>7985515
So... you found his opinion to be unpopular?
>>
>>7985520
in many different areas.
>>
File: Camden_NJ_poverty.jpg (63KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Camden_NJ_poverty.jpg
63KB, 600x450px
>>
File: 7.jpg (78KB, 850x473px) Image search: [Google]
7.jpg
78KB, 850x473px
Reading, PA
>>
>>7985521
heh...
>>7985527
Ironically the Camden in England that that place is named after is also a drug-ridden dump....but not that bad! God damn America and you call yourself a first-world country. I'd honestly rather live in Uganda than places like Detroit.
>>
Philadelphia
>>
>>7985531
>>7985533
Is this a "rate my hood" thread now?
3 shootings in 1 year on this road. Am I the most gangster guy on /sci/ now?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (19KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
19KB, 480x360px
Rochester, NY

in the ghost town nay bae ;-)
>>
>>7985536
has nothing to do with being gangster, trigger fag.

I would love to be a proud patriot one day.
>>
and fuck yes social sciences ;) ;)
>>
>>7985539
>Being proud of America
>>
>>7985541
>being an ironic shit poster faggot
fellow american detected ;) ;)
>>
is posting detroit ironic shit postingguize??

what about voting hilary or trump card?
>>
File: Texan.png (2MB, 1225x926px) Image search: [Google]
Texan.png
2MB, 1225x926px
>>7985542
>>
>>7985549
I love the bitter taste of tea
>>
>>7984646
It is a /sci/ triggering device.
>>
>>7985250
Math is 100% useless. You literally can't do anything with math, never will actually.
>>
>>7985558
>drink bitter tea
>not 'aving a coupla sugars and a splosh of milk
fucking poofter
>>
>>7984401
>Irrational numbers don't exist.
I don't think that's an opinion senpai
That's a fact and a wrong one at that
>>
Women are less ambitious, less creative and less intelligent then men. The current trend of pretending otherwise goes against observable evidence and logic.

Races obviously exist (ask any antropologist) and have varying tiers of intelligence, creativity and impulse control.
>>
The thought that nothing matters should be liberating, not depressing
>>
>>7985568
it really depends on the type though lets not bull shit lol

coffee and tea are both amazing things
>>
File: DeepRuralHood.jpg (2MB, 5928x4880px) Image search: [Google]
DeepRuralHood.jpg
2MB, 5928x4880px
>>7985536
>Is this a "rate my hood" thread now?

Rate mine. Literally my backyard, everything within 500 yards.
>>
>>7985578
Truly.
>>
>>7985588
>coffee and tea are both amazing things

Spotted the drug addict. I bet you even take sugar with them don't you?
>>
>>7985592
Good lord. That is a gorgeous bit of land.
I hope you're grateful.
>>
>>7985600
So long as the locals leave me alone I'm grateful as fuck.
>>
File: rgrt.jpg (4KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
rgrt.jpg
4KB, 259x194px
>>7985592
that is beautiful.
>>
>>7985597
not often no. I appreciate most chemicals for what they are though.

⊂_ヽ
\\ Λ_Λ
\( ˇωˇ)
/ ⌒
/ へ\
/ / \\
レ ノ ヽ_つ
/ / GOT DAT TRIGGER ;) ;)
| |、 \
| 丿 \
| | ) /
ノ ) Lノ
>>
>>7984951
Kek
>>
>>7984987
Calculator battery changing, and shitposting
>>
>>7985615
i'd like to see a fully automated robot operate a drum auger successfully without any structural damage to a drain and somehow make this get up affordable and marketable enough to be pragmatic/ever justifying someone bringing it into existence.
>>
>>7985170
A bachelors takes 4 years
>>
Axiom of Choice is false.
>>
>>7984254
>Consciousness is more than just human consciousness
An atom is affected by its surroundings and reflects that in its actions.
The cat, the box, and all the atoms in it have the "awareness" to detect whether the poison went off or not. And whether or not that cat is dead.
>>
>>7985697
This is a stupid opinion thread, not a demonstrably false assertions thread. We have those over at /x/ and /pol/.
>>
>>7984301
>wrong opinions
>>
If the Nazis won, we'd have space colonies n shid by now
>>
>>7984254
North America was fine before Europeans settled there

Men are the best and worst at everything

Obese people should be taxed

Soda should be taxed

If you're born in the middle class with mostly normal parents, you have no ome to blame for failure but yourself.

A lot of people that are being treated mental illness in America don't need it, a lot of peoplethat actually needs it aren't getting it.

People who constantly blame external reasons for failure are a failure
>>
>>7984408
kek wildberger
>>
Nature >>> Nurture
>>
>>7985838
two facets of the same thing

so much proverbial meta time paradox
>>
File: wildburger.png (195KB, 1650x1050px) Image search: [Google]
wildburger.png
195KB, 1650x1050px
>>7984401
>>
>>7984259
But, that's true...and a popular opinion.
>>
>>7985917
Do I need to take RA before CA or does it not matter?
>>
>>7985592
gangster af
>>
>>7985944
I did because of my Erasmus and maybe you'll need one or two things, but you won't miss RA that badly
>>
>>7984254
Loop quantum gravity was a mistake.
>>
>>7986040
That is a fairly popular opinion.
>>
>>7984254

Doing exercises is a meme and it is literally as worthwhile to just look up countless problems worked out in solutions manuals (provided you actually understand the solutions and techniques) and you will have the same problem solving ability and probably a larger acquired repertoire of techniques than people who struggled through exercises (and therefore wasted time by not exposing themselves to a myriad of problem solving strategies). This is because innate problem solving ability isn't trainable and it is better to just gain knowledge and a large repository of techniques for approaching problems.

If you understand how the solutions were worked out you will retain it. The "you're only cheating yourself" is an epic gay meme because you literally cannot train your innate problem by doing a lot of problems, so it's better to just study worked out problems and devise a flowchart of ways to tackle different kinds of problems and techniques that you can fall back on if you get stuck using one technique. THIS and not repetition of starting problems from scratch will train you into a worthy problem solver because you cut through the bullshit.

The problems you should start on scratch on should be out of sheer interest and nothing more.
>>
Global warming IS real, but the supporters need to stop letting their movement get hijacked by carbon taxxers or any bigger govenrnment expenditure designed to enact more taxes that don't help anyone or solve anything. Taxes on shit don't make them unpopular if you need them to keep up your quality of life.
>>
>>7985549
Murican here, does the flavor text on the tea refer to the royal warrant thing?
>>
>>7986091
The point of doing exercises isn't to work out some problem solving muscle so you can recall the information on an exam. It gives you the chance to spend some time playing with the subject and gaining a working knowledge of it, picking apart all of the little details that would never have occurred to you otherwise.
>>
>>7985761
Wow anon, that was brutal. He's gonna have to choose which asshole to shit with now.
>>
>>7986170
Another even more unpopular opinion.
Global warming is real, but it isn't necessarily a bad thing. Sure, some species will perish, but others will occupy their place and life will go on. There were times when the Earth had an average temperature way hotter than the worse GW predictions and many diverse species lived then. Also, I have no doubts in our adapting abilities to the upcoming increase of the temperatures, as long as it is steady and keeps the current rhythm.
>>
>>7984274
This is fairly retarded. There's a hell of a lot more that goes into employment than net exports, also you're comparing the economies of completely different technological eras so it makes your deduction even further invalid
>>
>>7984295
That's not an unpopular opinion, that's just retarded. I mean for fuck's sake, we've had electricity for barely over a century. We're still miles away from understanding a complete theory of physics, so we can't even possibly conceive what a technological limit would be, let alone be anywhere close to it. Stop trying so hard to be special snowflake who basks in their own delusional enlightenment
>>
>>7984667
It's an ice volcano, duh
>>
>>7984807
Not unpopular, just stupid. Most of the illiterate rednecks agree with you
>>
>>7984284
Maybe. But you can (and many people do) work as an engineer with just an undergrad degree. Medicine requires another 4 years of medical school plus 4 years of interning which basically means being someone's bitch. Plus the time commitment from undergrad graduation onward is way higher for a physician.
>>
Late school is harder than engineering.
>>
>>7986712
Law**
>>
Science is a faulty way of gaining knowledge as it relies on induction
>>
That this is a good quality thread
>>
File: molecular-gearbox1.gif (236KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
molecular-gearbox1.gif
236KB, 256x256px
Mechanical molecular assemblers a la Drexler are probably possible
>>
>>7986742
believe me, I am a graduating chemistry major and if I thought those would work in any way at all I would support the idea fully, but that is just bullshit on so many levels.

There are the beginnings of very basic molecular machines (rotaxane), but those make sense. that gif you just posted does not.
>>
File: 1459310955787.jpg (97KB, 779x635px) Image search: [Google]
1459310955787.jpg
97KB, 779x635px
>>7984254
Doing work in chemistry/ bio labs is boring as fuck but it pays well, even though it is super repetitive, and will lead to upper management

Nearly everything you learn in university is pointless if you get a job in the industry as you'll be doing the same thing over and over again

Most of the jobs in the industry tend to be learning about how to use a machine.
>>
>>7986758
This is true
>>
File: 1452996408741.jpg (60KB, 1018x518px) Image search: [Google]
1452996408741.jpg
60KB, 1018x518px
>>7986761
Also I should add:
No on gives a flying fuck about your GPA unless you're going to grad/med/law/dental school. And even then they care more about your references and your work in the field.

Employers really don't give a fuck where you went only that you have some kind of understand of the field

Computational biology will be one of the biggest fields in the next 10 years and will finally weed out all the bio/med fags who really don't belong in the field to begin with.
>>
>>7986758
>Most of the jobs in the industry tend to be learning about how to use a machine.

I remember when I finished college and went out job hunting. Half the people operating mass specs and IR spectrometers could barely speak any english. I met one that spoke spanish and he told he he didnt really know what the machine did, he just inserted the samples like they told him to. He was the building maintenance/janitor guy for an environmental firm that did work for petroleum refineries
>>
>>7984828
I agreed with you up until the last 1.5 sentences
>>
File: 1434420036239.jpg (85KB, 804x802px) Image search: [Google]
1434420036239.jpg
85KB, 804x802px
>>7986782
Not that guy
>chem fag
>finally graduate university after four years
>think that I'll be doing crazy P chem stuff with fuck loads of math and doing different shit
>get a job at cosmetic place two weeks later
>so excited for my first day I could barely sleep
>go to work
>So anon here's your bench and your job is to mix these two chemical together 800 times a day and check for purity
>that horrible soul crushing feel when I spent all those hours studying for math and those upper level chemistry courses/labs
>reduced to doing gen chem work
>but it pays 22 an hour

At least my co-workers are fun to work with
>>
File: san pedro sula.jpg (58KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
san pedro sula.jpg
58KB, 800x500px
>>7985536
I live in this city.

I win.
>>
>>7984254
Going to grad school or getting a Ph.D is not worth it unless you are dead set on doing research or you have someone paying for you.

Chances are you're never going to get a job because who the fuck is going to hire a Ph.D. without any industry experience when you have a guy with a bachelor's degree who'll do it for less, has been in the industry for years, and can do the job with minimal training.
>>
>>7984873
And perception is to reality as physics is to engineering.
>>
>>7984897
Then why aren't you doing it?

You can talk shit for days but you aren't fooling anyone on this Mongolian ice skating forum.
>>
>>7986812
How do you know I haven't
>>
>>7984843
I'm debatably an aspie, but I find dumb social people way more entertaining to be around than other people like me.
>>
>>7984924
What the hell is "general artificial intelligence"?
>>
>>7986792
lol I remember before graduating thinking about all the mad shit I was going to do in a lab with my knowledge. I test oils for viscosity in a machine by inserting sample tubes. Any idiot can do this. It pays well so I just settled here, fuck it.
>>
>>7984284
Caucasian please, medicine is difficult as cooking.
>>
>>7984292
Nope. You just sedate them and make fun of them while they are asleep. It was on the news.
>>
>>7986792
did you think you were done paying your dues just because you got the degree?

the degree is just the price of admission son. its the waiting at the masters gate for acceptance into the guild. good job, you made it in. now your an apprentice, doing apprentice work.

whether you stay there or not is up to you.
>>
>>7986856
I actually don't see a reason to go back to school though. I've been working there three years and I asked my boss if I went back to school would I move up quicker. He told me that he only has a bachelors and so does just about everyone else in the company.

It's a huge company so he told me that quality of work + time I've been at the company. I've been promoted twice at this point.
>>
>>7986833
Artificial General Intelligence is the term for AI that can generalize ideas the way humans do
>>
>>7986865
when i said "masters gate" i wasn't referring to a masters degree.
>>
1. Western history is not an ascent or progress.
2. Science is poised to obliterate all notions and facts of human life via biological engineering and nuclear weapons, respectively.
3. Ancient systems of ideas need to be seriously investigated for potential application to solving technological problems in the present period.
4. Religion is to be taken seriously
5. Materialism (in the metaphysical sense) is garbage: it explains neither consciousness (the extreme point of subjectivity) nor creation ex nihilo (the extreme point of objectivity). The system of science which presumes observers and observed material is thus inadequate for discovering or explaining certain phenomena.
>>
>>7986888
Oh I'm sorry

I thought you were referring to getting a master's. I'm retarded.
>>
>>7984274
>Before 1980, Murrica had a trade surplus.
that was before the millennials came of age.
>>
>>7984274
we're just in a transitionary period right now. read about industrial democracy. its what we're moving towards.
>>
>>7984295
Actually, our technology is advancing exponentially.

Such is the nature of technology.
>>
>>7984897
Ok buddy. Lets see you make a baby. Tippical brown thinking.
>>
>>7984254
I think it would be really interesting to know what game this image is from.

It's an unpopular opinion since it's been over 200 posts and nobody asked yet.
>>
>>7984828
I studied finance. I agree with you generally except for the fields of math, music, representational art and architecture.

You will not make more than me this year, however I agree that you could learn to do my job in about three months.
>>
>>7984274
>We exported far more than we imported.
>Today we import more than we export, but we have about the same level of employment.
nothiong to do with over-regulation and asian currency manipulation coupled with slave wages
>>
>>7984301
this
>>
File: K.jpg (7KB, 200x227px) Image search: [Google]
K.jpg
7KB, 200x227px
>>7984295
>>
most math majors will never amount to anything besides being high school teachers.
>>
>>7984254
Pi=4
>>
>trans-people have a psychiatric disorder, but homosex do not
>the basic mechanism of viruses should be considered the benchmark for life, and therefore are alive

all i got
>>
>>7984292
>You have to recall the specific thing to do that you memorised like a robot
Fixd
>>
>>7986360
>tfw tiny ice sun inside mars
>>
>>7985331
>science
>>
>>7984416
That's not science!
>>
>>7984923
SHIT
FUCK
WHAT
>>
>>7985566
This is like a downs syndrome person trying to produce bait
>>
>>7984650
>I would like to preface this by saying that I have the utmost respect for pure math and physics majors, but I feel like the majority of the anti-engineering sentiment comes from dicks not going into them
Fixd
>>
>>7984987
Autistic mental circlejerking over hyperspecialised meaningless nonsense
>>
File: fzUo11f.gif (1018KB, 300x167px) Image search: [Google]
fzUo11f.gif
1018KB, 300x167px
>>7988168
>>
File: vomiting schoolgirl.gif (876KB, 416x410px) Image search: [Google]
vomiting schoolgirl.gif
876KB, 416x410px
>>7985568
milk in tea
>>
>>7985566
>any replies I want
>300k replies starting
>>
File: 1445800816288.jpg (24KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1445800816288.jpg
24KB, 600x600px
>>
>>7992034
Meant for >>7985566
>>
>>7984274
>Most human beings are not sentient.

Yeah I liked Breakfast of Champions too.
>>
>>7984844
That's not unpopular
>>
File: molecularrackandpinion.jpg (44KB, 427x231px) Image search: [Google]
molecularrackandpinion.jpg
44KB, 427x231px
>>7986757
Well this is a thread for unpopular opinions, what did you expect?

I am curious as to why you think that .gif would not work. Yes, we currently do not have the capability to make such things, but we have demonstrated the basic principles of such devices.

See: http://www.nature.com/nmat/journal/v6/n1/abs/nmat1802.html
>>
File: z.png (99KB, 694x968px) Image search: [Google]
z.png
99KB, 694x968px
>>7984387
What I believe in.
>>
>>7984254
physics is for autists, math is for actual smart people
>>
>>7991985
>having tea black
Cuck
>>
>>7985578
I feel free to be nihilistic and have a wicked sense of humour
>>
>>7993857
Autists don't care about reality though, so that's wrong.
>>
>>7984301
gold
this
Thread posts: 240
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.