[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Highschool math

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

File: blahagains.jpg (149KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
blahagains.jpg
149KB, 960x960px
How did you do in highschool math /sci/? How hard did you find the material, how much did you study, what did you end up doing after highschool.

I got 95% in pre calc and 90% in calc. Did all the homework and reviews, went to all the classes. Ended up being a plumber.
>>
I got like 80% in calculus I and about the same in pre-calc. Now on my way to studying nuclear engineering, probably going to get BTFO when I get to the serious stuff.
>>
It was a breeze for me in many ways but that was because I loved to read about more advanced subjects so I always was 2 steps ahead from the class. I don't consider myself much smarter than the average, I just found it fascinating since I was little.
>>
I graduated about 2 years ago now, goofed off in pre-calc with my friend and got about an 80%, in calc we got our shit slapped and had to bunker down, still only managed to get an 80%, and in my AP calc class that my friend didn't take I managed to earn the credit and got with guess what, 80%.
>>
In BC Calc right now now. I'm not the best in the class, since there's a few genius-tier asians in it, but I'm still pulling a 95, and it's nowhere near as bad as many people made it seem to be.

Currently learning Taylor series, which seem fairly easy, but extremely tedious.
>>
>>7979376
Gdi OP you made me double check that I wasn't on /fit/
>>
I just finished all of high school and AS level maths, starting with only basic arithmetic as background knowledge, over 7 months and scored 95% overall. Got all the questions correct on every assignment, but lost marks on notation.

The maths was incredibly easy and I'm confused as to how people struggle with it. Though I'm leaning towards laziness as an explanation.

Will be starting calc pretty soon.
>>
>>7979376
I did good in geometry and sucked terribly at algebra and physics.

Turns out I never learned orders of operation, I was never aware there was such a thing and none of my teachers ever caught it, I got As in college math courses.

I'm a power plant operator.
>>
>>7979442
Homer?
>>
>>7979376
I never studied for anything. Played calculator games during class. Got Bs.
>>
>>7979376
B in Algebra II
B in Trig (I did struggle at times though)
A in PreCalc
A in CalcAB (5 on BC test)
>>
>>7979376
I got damn near 100% in every math related class since early elementary, through calc.

I didn't study a single minute in highschool. I succeeded because I paid attention to what was being taught all the time, and while the teacher was explaining a lesson to the class I would have grasped the concept and made attempts to understand the next part of the lesson as the teacher was explaining the current part. It made things so ridiculously simple and I got so good at grasping the concepts myself that I had no trouble in college and often found myself tutoring my friends.

I got a CSE degree (Computer Science & Engineering) from OSU
>CS is taught babby math
fuck off, all CSE students here are taught the engineering calculi +linear algebra and stats +plenty of calculus applications in CS classes

Apart from differential equations, the curriculum is equally rigorous
>>
File: 1458877518623.jpg (56KB, 599x330px) Image search: [Google]
1458877518623.jpg
56KB, 599x330px
Alg 1 F

I dropped out then self taught geometry-precalc, I'm in Community college now I have a ~95% in lmao calc 1. I know it's babby math but considering I learned all of higschool math in 6 months I'd say it's decent
>>
Got a 4 from every course (IB HL math), got my shit more together during my revision period and finished with a solid 6
>>
Pretty much 80% across the board. From 8th grade up.

Which fucks me over because I had a 12pnt scale.
>>
>>7979376
Is that vsauce?

Wow
>>
>>7979484
Pretty sure that's Jason Blaha
>>
>>7979376
> went to all the classes
only plebs went to all the classes
master raec got str8 A+ playing video games
>>
>>7979376
Just barely scraped by on all of it w/ a B-. Then got Cs in Physics because I couldn't remember how to do the math we used.

Forced to take a remedial math class in college, I got serious & learned from the beginning again, understood it, etc.
>86 in remedial class
>81 in Pre-Calc
>70 in Calc I
>currently taking Calc II w/ a grade in the 60's

They have not weeded me out yet, gentlemen! I didn't come here to dabble in the study of change - I came w/ a mission to master the field of Computer Science. The study of what can be computed.

Did quite well in the math that actually matters.
>88 in Linear Alegbra
>84 in Discrete Mathematics
>haven't yet taken Statistics
>>
>>7979417
Kek I thought you were making fun of OP for his performance but then I saw the picture.
>>
>>7979546
>84 in Discrete Mathematics
Holy fucking shit. Did they curve in your class?
The average grade for the final Exam in our University was 13/50
>>
>>7979546
Why is linear algebra so fucking easy compared to calculus? Seriously..
I find integral calculus harder and more tedious than even advanced linear algebra.
>>
2.5 in freshman year, 0.9-1.2 in the rest, I hate Maths with a passion.
Love physics and chemistry though.
>>
>>7979470

highschool math is such a fucking joke

kids just convince themselves that it is hard and they are stupid

just page through a common core geometry text book
>>
High school math was painfully easy
>american
>dropped out
>>
>>7979575
> tedious
Integral Calculus most of the times is just application of pre-defined fomulas combined with some transformation. It's easy af.
> tfw 95 in Calc 1 and 96 in Calc 2 without attending over half of the classes
> tfw got 91 instead of 100 in Linear Algebra because miscalculated a matrix multiplication
>>
I didn't even try in HS. My first semester, I had over 40 unexcused absences and a gpa of 0.3333.... Dropped out at sixteen.

So I really don't know how hard math was, because I didn't do it.

Now after 10 years of being a restaurant cook, I'm 31 and finishing precalc this term. Finding it fucking easy. Got a 4.0 so far.
>>
>>7979609
How do HS dropouts cooks end up in /sci/?

>>7979376
From freshman to junior of high school I did terrible. The scale is 1.0 to 5.0 and I was always around 3.0

However, the last trimester of my junior year things started to change. First we started seeing calculus and that was fun, we also messed around with infinite sums and other just pure, pure math... as far as high school goes.

The last trimester I probably got a final grade of 4.8

Then senior year came and a 4.9 all around.

I never found the material hard, it is just that I was not interested at it. Back then I still thought I would study physics, as I was always good at physics.

I never studied, not a single bit. Even when I became good I still refused to study. It really was just a shift in perspective.

After high school and currently I'm working on my license in mathematics, it is the equivalent of a bachelors. 4 year degree, have to turn in a thesis at the end. Going very well.

Mathematics is probably the only good thing that exists in this universe, other than pussy.
>>
>>7979625

>How do HS dropouts cooks end up in /sci/?

Long story. Short version is they get over their problems, get really lucky and go back to school for EE.
>>
>>7979376
Didn't pay attention in precalc, finished with a mid 80. Goofed off in calc and got a mark that was slightly over 100%, and the teacher had to fuck with my mark to bring it down to a 99%.
Went to university for math, nearly failed Calc I because they don't actually teach real calculus in high school, and I just assumed that I knew the content.
>>
>>7979376
>refused to do any homework (counted for 10% of grade or some shit, not worth the effort)
>refused to do "Mid term" or "final" study packets, I knew the material why should I waste my time
>barely paid attention during class, I would simply teach myself the material due to the fact I had blundering idiots for teachers who honestly barely knew how to do the math themselves and often had to check notes to find out what they did wrong
Ended up with b/c average. Worth it.
>>
>>7979376
I was a very strange kid. I got 'smart' in 10th grade and got easy As in Algebra II, Precalculus, and Calculus AB/BC. I had hoped to skip Precalculus by teaching it to myself during Algebra II, but wasn't able to. So during Precalculus, I self taught Calculus, but wasn't able to skip it. So during AP Calculus AB/BC my senior year, I self taught multivariate calculus (just through partial derivatives, double/triple integrals, and gradients) and and differential equations (just the basics - separation of variables, variation of parameters, and undetermined coefficients for non-homogeneous).

It was nice because I got easy As in diff eq and multi in freshman year, but I got my ass kicked by my first real math classes advanced calculus (topology and some real analysis) and linear algebra (not the basic one, a junior level class).
>>
>>7979625

People come from different paths,who are you to judge. I still haven't technically graduated highschool, finishing up a master's in finite element analysis though.
>>
>>7979781
Afore-mentioned dropout here. I appreciate it, Anon. I really didn't take any offense to his post, though- he didn't call me anything I'm not.
>>
>>7979486
That's what I thought intially but Jason has always been a skinny fat fatty and the faces are too different.. no way brah
>>
File: 1453606414026.jpg (183KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
1453606414026.jpg
183KB, 1200x900px
Failed highschool algebra the first time, past it the second and never got to calc,trig,,stats etc. that's all "adv" stuff in garbage schools,I find algebra easy now that my teachers aren't around, they really don't teach math well at all.
>>
Got a C- in Honors Algebra II freshman year. Ended up finishing near the top of my Calc AB class both semesters. Talent really is a meme, it's all about how much effort you put in.
>>
In high school I got all D's and C's in Math. Think my highest mark was a 74 in mixed grade 11 math. NOw I'm studying math at Uni and getting high 90s. Except for Calc. Fuck Calc. Might not get a 90.
>>
>>7979946
No way, there is definitely a such thing as talent. There may be some people (very uncommon) who are able to rely on talent through high school and college (assuming a math major), but most people have some level of talent and hit a wall. The amount of talent depends on where that wall is. For instance, I was able to kill high school and the first half of college math with about zero effort but hit a wall when I go to junior level math classes. I knew a guy in college who was certainly smarter/more talented than I and he only hit the wall when he got to senior level quantum mech (he was a physics major, but we took the same math classes through vector calculus). There are some people with little talent who learn to study really well in high school, so they may never really hit a wall, likewise there are some people who will never hit a wall because they just have so much talent (I heard about a guy at Harvard who went straight into math 55, and managed to convince the professors/administrators to place him in higher level math classes because it was too easy.

>>7979966
What math classes have you gotten to and done well in in spite of not doing well in calc? Calc is kind of the basis for the majority of university level math, so I'd imagine you'd need to do well in it and understand it to do well elsewhere.
>>
I finished off my senior year by taking Algebra 1. I had a C+
>>
>>7979983
I'm just in my second semester of first year, so my testimonies skewed.

Anyways, on what you're saying about talent, it's true... but even "talent" isn't enough to guarantee success in math.
"In some cases, an abundance of raw talent may end up (somewhat perversely) to actually be harmful for one’s long-term mathematical development; if solutions to problems come too easily, for instance, one may not put as much energy into working hard, asking dumb questions, or increasing one’s range, and thus may eventually cause one’s skills to stagnate. Also, if one is accustomed to easy success, one may not develop the patience necessary to deal with truly difficult problems. Talent is important, of course; but how one develops and nurtures it is even more so." - Terry Tao
>>
>>7979983
>>7979991

I also don't think I'm t hat talented in math. I still make mistakes, and find myself grappling with problems that are relatively easy (did badly on a Calc quiz today since I don't fully understand the concept of "convergence", which is completely annoying to me. However, because my professor is very liberal on giving bonus marks [it feels like I'm cheating], I could still get 100% on the course -- despite only getting 82% on the midterm (worth 42%) and 75% on the quizzes up until now [which make up 15% of the final grade]). I'm in a babby university, and I understand that. However, I don't think that grades are the best way to gauge knowledge. I'm going to self-study over the Summer and push myself through Baby Rubin.

Work ethic/drive is something I've always struggled with (even now). But I've turned a corner, so to speak, and have no problem staying up until 6 AM to study.
>>
>>7979991
Oh no, I agree that talent can actually hurt you because you don't develop those study skills. It definitely hurt me when I got to junior level math classes.

>>7979996
> However, I don't think that grades are the best way to gauge knowledge. I'm going to self-study over the Summer and push myself through Baby Rubin.

I agree, but there isn't really any other way to measure it.
>>
>>7979577
how can you hate math,
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.