[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When will they land on Earth?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 10

File: 6836280-alien-invasion.jpg (158KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
6836280-alien-invasion.jpg
158KB, 1280x800px
Will science be the only effective weapon against an alien invasion?
>>
>>7979135

Hate to break it to you but the jews are already here.
>>
>>7979135
theres a small possibility left that an alien race didnt figure out nuclear particle/forces

in this case: muuuuhahahaha
>>
>>7979141
What do you mean dude?
>>
>>7979225
Watch some Spirit Science.
>>
>>7979247
What do you mean, how would that help?
>>
File: 1459229276120.png (2MB, 1204x1202px) Image search: [Google]
1459229276120.png
2MB, 1204x1202px
>>7979135
back to >>>/x/
>>
File: ah-64d_apache.jpg (197KB, 1200x797px) Image search: [Google]
ah-64d_apache.jpg
197KB, 1200x797px
>>7979135
Do you really think our technology would be of any use against a species that has mastered interstellar travel? Their technology would most likely violate physics as we understand it today.

It would be like the Native Americans trying to combat a helicopter gunship. What are they going to do, shoot arrows at it?
>>
>>7979821

At least we understand what engineering means, so I think we could at least have a clue as to what was going on, but we'd be helpless.
>>
>>7979843
I'm sure an alien species capable of interstellar travel could just take a tissue sample of humans and figure out the perfect toxin or virus to kill us.

Then just dump some in our atmosphere and sit back and watch us all die. They could also bring all of the major cities to a standstill with EMP pulses. They could literally take down the entire electrical grid worldwide with ease.

Nuclear bombs detonated in space will do it. Starfish Prime was a nuke we set off in space in 1962.

"The EMP observed at the Apia Observatory at Samoa was four times more powerful than any created by solar storms, while in July 1962 the Starfish Prime test damaged electronics in Honolulu and New Zealand (approximately 1,300 kilometers away), fused 300 street lights on Oahu (Hawaii), set off about 100 burglar alarms, and caused the failure of a microwave repeating station on Kauai, which cut off the sturdy telephone system from the other Hawaiian islands."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-altitude_nuclear_explosion

There are countless ways they could totally fuck us over without even landing on the surface.
>>
>>7979849
We are pretty damn fragile when you think about it. I think what's fortunate is that 100% extinction isn't likely with some of these scenarios. Humanity would take a long time to rebuild if a majority of the population goes away, though, for sure. That would be a scary situation. Hey, what kind of offspring would come from the kind of people who hid in bunkers or caves?
>>
>>7979135
i like this spaceship design.
>>
File: 1459324247607.jpg (41KB, 716x240px) Image search: [Google]
1459324247607.jpg
41KB, 716x240px
>>7979135
how the fuck is science a weapon against alien invasion you dumb fuck , what are we gonna do ? ask them to participate in studies ?.

weapons are weapons against alien invasion .
>>
>>7980050
Yeah and how are we going to make weapons mr. smartypants? Or are you suggesting we throw rocks at them
>>
I think survival is conditional on three things, if we're up against hostile aliens.

1. We need to know they're coming, which requires them to not have FTL and instead leave some sort of signature we can track. This scenario would be pretty contrived but they might cause stars to explode as a scouring weapon of choice and we could watch the wave of blasts heading towards us over thousands of years and try to react accordingly. Alternatively a friendly alien race might shoot us a message of warning. Both of these are pretty fucking unlikely but we need them to survive.

2. We need to have lots of prep time. Humanity's technology won't be able to match them even with a few hundred years of preparation, but we might be able to slow them down. For example if we know which direction they're coming from we could throw projectiles out towards their invasion corridor, creating a huge swarm of objects that would be camouflaged to the best of our ability. Since these guys are used to travelling in space though direct damage may not work on them, so we could try filling them with some sort of interference medium (hi-tech chaff?) and spread that all over space as these guys approach, assuming they're going to decelerate when they arrive of course, they might have computers so advanced they don't need to update telemetry and blunder right through our smokescreen.

3. We can't win a straight-up fight. We need to use the forewarning and time to hopefully build some sort of colony vessel fleet, load it with humans (preferably cryogenically frozen but holy fuck technology again), and send them off in every direction away from the alien invaders. Then maybe they might avoid the fate of Earth.

Another scenario is that we have forewarning but the invaders don't yet know we exist, and we have enough time to completely cut all our transmission before they reach our radio bubble. In which case we simply go silent and hope they pass over us.
>>
>>7980094
>For example if we know which direction they're coming from we could throw projectiles out towards their invasion corridor, creating a huge swarm of objects that would be camouflaged to the best of our ability.

That's dumb. Do you have any clue how many asteroids are in the solar system as it is? Even with all these asteroids it is still 99.9999% empty space out there.

video related: visualization of all discovered asteroids in order of their discovery.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKKg4lZ_o-Y

The frozen human and radio bubble also don't make sense. The radio bubble has already been expanding at the speed of light for nearly 100 years now. You can't undo that. Going silent would do nothing.

The closest star is 4.2 light years away. That is impossibly far using rocket technology.
>>
>>7980101
>That's dumb.

Not if you know where they're going to come from. I mean it's unlikely as hell you would, but if you had that information I bet you could do something.

>The radio bubble has already been expanding at the speed of light for nearly 100 years now. You can't undo that. Going silent would do nothing.

It might. if you had a long enough lead time they might decide that since nothing's been emitted from the source for a long time that Earth's civilization has ended itself, and decide not to visit a potential dead end.

>The closest star is 4.2 light years away. That is impossibly far using rocket technology.

Better than waiting to die.
>>
File: 1453334416978.jpg (99KB, 700x556px) Image search: [Google]
1453334416978.jpg
99KB, 700x556px
>>7980063
guns, missiles , bombs planes .
nukes mounted on space launch systems for aliens in orbit , shit like that .

again the point is to make them not be invading us , not to study what ayylmao-genes correlate more with ayylmao cancer or how ayylmao socio-economic status affects their health .
>>
>>7979135
I for one think we can just pray them to death.
>>
>>7980114
Science doesn't mean strictly studying.. science will help create those weapons after all.

Not that I think we'd be very capable unless we had something up our sleeves. After all.. you're talking about an alien race invading Earth. They've either been able to hide all this time or they have mastered interstellar flight. They know about us and surely have studied us and know all about us. If they're serious enough to invade us and FIGHT us, then they are able to beat us. It would have to be a statistical improbability for us to survive past a few people hiding in bunkers.

And if they exist, who says there isn't another who doesn't want any interference with Earth? Who says these aliens are all united to the point of wanting to destroy us? Consider those possibilities as all, maybe we'll have some allies

Hopefully if aliens land, they're not there to wipe us out. I like to believe if it ever happened there would be good intentions.. but if something bad happened, we could consider us pretty fucking over the minute it begins, then as we're being vaporized we can at least hope that the conspiracy theorists were right and that there is a space colony or people deep underground to keep humanity going. Maybe they come outside and there's an alien civilization in their place, become slaves, and humans have to fight in this society as underdogs for centuries until something happens. Maybe humanity continues a population on another planet .Maybe it's happened before.

This is what happens when your thread goes this far when it comes to speculating.

TL;DR: Think about the kind of beings who are confident enough to land on Earth and try to wipe everyone out. We'd be on the defensive hoping they leave after a few million years.
>>
File: the hierarchy.jpg (28KB, 350x236px) Image search: [Google]
the hierarchy.jpg
28KB, 350x236px
>>7979135
The most effective takeover is the one the targeted civilization is kept from recognizing as such.
>>
>>7980101

Also the speed of light for 100 years isn't very far. Although we should be concerned about fucking screaming our asses off in the galactic neighborhood that we hardly have a good look at.. especially blasting Beatles songs and sending gold records out of the solar system.

That's a totally human thing for us to do though.. the galactic equivalent of a message in a bottle. Kinda puts a tear in your eye when you think of the kind of messages we deliberately sent out. As for accidental, they probably won't understand Hitler's words. Maybe they're able to pick most of it up if their receivers are precise enough. Maybe they'll ignore it entirely like the rest of the noise floating around and rely on another form of communication entirely.
>>
>>7979135
Science will not only be the effective without against aliens.
Science will not only be the effective weapon.
Science will be the only thing effective. So yes.
>>
>>7980103

I wonder what combined forces of all or most of the planet's nations would produce if they were to come up with some space tech. Especially if there was an eminent threat that we knew about. I don't know if we'd even manage interstellar travel. I think that there'd be colonies around the solar system, housing world leaders for sure and maybe even underground on some bodies in space, but the best we would be able to do was have a ship floating around with people inside it hoping we can have it survive for a generation or two. That would be more like a floating colony than anything.

#1 would be defense, #2 would be a weak backup plan colonizing another body in space and hoping they don't go after us. #3 is hoping a man and a woman is alive and is in reproduction distance..

We're talking about the end of times here, and let's hope that if we can pick up the pieces there's enough infrastructure so that we don't have to resort to apes.
>>
>>7980134
What the fuck else is there besides science anyways? I'm trying to wrap my head around this. Everything is pretty much a science in one way or another. Art?
>>
>>7980144

>I don't know if we'd even manage interstellar travel.

Like I said, it depends on how much time we have after finding out they're coming. There's concepts for propulsion methods that could reach Alpha Centauri within a hundred years. It's possible, it'd just take a hell of a lot of work and time to get it right.
>>
>>7980151
I don't think we necessarily need to get it right. We would probably take any chances and as soon as it seems to work we would probably try our luck in a desperate manner, as we have no time for proper testing and proper development...
>>
Nope. Guns will be.
>>
>>7980157
This. We'd make multiple and hope that at least one lands. If we could have it be modular and be able to probe the space around us that would be a plus. I don't know enough to know if you could spit a spacecraft out of another moving craft and then successfully have it return....
>>
>>7979859
have you ever seen Threads?
>>
>>7980251
This shit was absolutely terrifying.
>>
Hack their computers like on independence day

The way the movie portrays it is really silly but it's very much a viable option/thought process if we had the time to reverse engineer their shit
>>
>>7980483
>Hack their computers

You mean hack their signals
>>
>>7980488
I know what I said, jerk
>>
>>7980483

How do you hack an alien computer?
>>
>>7980505
Pretty easy once you get their IP address
>>
>>7979794
You do not wanna try that.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_5390
>Much to everyone's surprise, Lancaster was found to be alive, and was taken to Southampton General Hospital, where he was found to be suffering from frostbite, bruising and shock, and fractures to his right arm, left thumb and right wrist.
>>
File: pp2010.jpg (8KB, 570x132px) Image search: [Google]
pp2010.jpg
8KB, 570x132px
>>7979135
>When will they land
They are walking among us:
.us ranks #2
.cn left behind
>>
>>7979135
There will be advanced species that are more intelligent, less intelligent, or equivalent in intelligence to us humans.

Species capable of long distance travel through space are most likely more advanced than us so they'd know almost everything we do, and then some. Which means they'd know how to reflect/counter attack anything we throw at them. Thus us being done for.

Science itself isn't going to do anything to protect us, it'll be the strategies and technology that we'll make based on what we've learned from scientific studies.
>>
>>7979135
>When will they land on Earth?

Never because they are to far away.
>>
>>7979135
>>7981054
Luckily the main "alien" species who are here already, are just observing (for now) and doing some manipulations here and there, trying to understand how a species like us will react and what not.

Kind of like as if we're their experiment.
>>
>aliens land
>total bros
>friendly to humans
>have been exposed to millions of viruses and diseases can't even conceive of
>one sneezes
>accidentally spreads plague killing billions
>>
>>7979135
>Will science be the only effective weapon against an alien invasion?
indirectly.

Studying science teaches you to think. And in this case you have to fist think about the WHY. As in why would they invade Earth when they can find all kinds of resources elsewhere and in spades.

Gases? Go to Jupiter or Saturn.
Hydrocarbons? or Ice? Go to Titan
Metals? Go to Venus or scour the asteroid belt for the metal rich asteroids.

If they want Earth it will most likely be for the scenery. So then we'd just terraform Venus or Mars to their preferences and bid them goodbye.
>>
>>7980128
>blasting Beatles songs and sending gold records out of the solar system
Broadcasting is just a small part of this at lower powers and more diffuse wider band.

Radars on the other hand, especially military radars, put out huge amounts of power in narrow bands and in sharp pulses. These are farm more likely to be detected.
>>
File: index.jpg (6KB, 280x180px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
6KB, 280x180px
>>7980505
My friend had an alien computer. It was a piece of shit. For being extraterrestrial technology it was surprisingly underwhelming. And WTF is their deal with all the colored lights? You would think they would care more about performance. It's like aliens are just a bunch of 12 year old kids.
>>
I can assure you that any entity capable of crossing the distances involved to get to us would be of a level that we would appear to be little more than pond scum.

At best, they might find us curious and have some sort of respect for the natural order and leave us well alone, as well might have already happened.

At worst, they'll see raw materials or organic matter they can harvest.
>>
File: suspicious.jpg (18KB, 400x270px) Image search: [Google]
suspicious.jpg
18KB, 400x270px
>>7981617
Are you from that one Just Cause 2 MP server?
>>
>>7980127
/thread
>>
>>7980127
If I get to fuck a hot god I wouldn't care about my civilization dying.
>>
File: 1452949802334.jpg (379KB, 1111x597px) Image search: [Google]
1452949802334.jpg
379KB, 1111x597px
>>7980094
>making a post this long on a meme thread
>>
>>7979135

When will you walk on a particular ant hill deep in the rain forest of South America?

Probably never. Even if you ever do get to south America and somehow decide to hike for days into the wild, you wouldnt know where to look and that ant hill will be long gone even if you should find the spot where it once was...
>>
What would even be their interest? If they have interstellar or even intergalactic flight, our world will have nothing worth taking, not even us.

At that point they surely already have ways to engineer any species they want, they won't even be interested in keeping us as pets.
>>
>>7979141

FPBP
>>
>>7979135

> using weapons against a species advanced enough to travel to our solar system

is /x/ invading or are you all actually stupid?
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.