[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ENCODE: the rough guide to the human genome.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

File: ENCODE.jpg (311KB, 610x435px) Image search: [Google]
ENCODE.jpg
311KB, 610x435px
Should we be afraid of designer babies?
>>
>>7978543
Not really. Designer children will eventually replace all the newer generations of 'normal' children. The normal people like us will be long dead before a conflict between superior humans and normal ones can occur.
>>
>>7978546

Why are you so sure anon?
>>
>>7978602
Can't be 100% sure, this is just my prediction. Feel free to suggest an alternative prediction, if you have one, or offer criticism to mine.
>>
>>7978543
Designer babies is the first step into transhumanism and I am all for it.
>>
No, we should look forward to them. But you shouldn't fail to realize that this will take a loooong fucking time until we can effectively change and optimize whatever we genetically want in humans. So far we can only change small things like eye color and even doing that has risks.
>>
>>7978618
I want a smarter stronger baby.

I saw somewhere that they have a bunch of super human genes on file collected form a bunch of mutant people, like one gene gave you bones so strong they would break a bone drill tip.
>>
>>7978543
>should we be afraid of our futures decisions
If you're worried about it, don't but one.
>>
>>7978622
>like one gene gave you bones so strong they would break a bone drill tip.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osteopetrosis

Trust me, you do not want that.
>>
>>7978632
don't but one?
>>
>>7978622
.. Okay I don't think whatever you saw is legit because DNA doesn't work like this in the first place. There is no smart gene or strong gene. There are just many, many separate sequences that together make up one part of your body and at the same time make up other parts of your body in combination with yet other separate sequences again. It's all entangled and convoluted.
>>
>>7978642
blah blah blah "it's too hard!"

Just take the genetic sequence that makes you a genius and put it in the baby.
>>
Ill have a Ralph Lauren baby.
>>
No. We should encourage it. The sooner everyone is replaced by beings that aren't randomly generated the better. Pls dont fight progress for selfish reasons
>>
>>7978652
I'm opposed to it because I'm offended by all the white babies. They should be required to be brown babies.
>>
>>7978641
Don't buy one, sorry.
>>
>>7978661
desu if I could choose how my baby looked id make them brown with blue eyes just lik my Annie mays.
>>
File: 1459346868536.png (287KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1459346868536.png
287KB, 500x375px
Just like I stated in a past thread what you should be afraid of is the underground/ black market that will occur once designer babies become popular.

The "poor" in first world and third world countries aren't going to take this shit lying down and they will do everything they can to compete too.
>>
>>7978703
undercover criminal babies
>>
>>7978543
We should be afraid of any new technology that can irrecoverably change humanity and this earth. That doesn't mean we shouldn't pursue research on it anyway. The benefit will most likely outweigh any risks, if it's controlled and allowed to proceed in an ethical manner.
>>
>>7978636
>Trust me, you do not want that.

Why are you so fucking stupid? Low IQ trash like you should just not post in threads like these if you don't bother to understand whatever misleading drivel you are spouting.

>Trust me, you do not want that.

LRP5 G171V

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12817748
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3276354/

1) These two genetically independent families have BMD ∼5 SD above that of unaffected family members and the general population. One of these original two families had a notable skeletal phenotype with straightening of the angle of the jaw, torus palatines, and torus mandibularis. Torus palatinus and torus mandibularis have subsequently been found to be associated with higher bone mass in postmenopausal women.(47) Individuals with the LRP5G171V mutations have normal lifespans, rarely fracture, and have little skeletal morbidity, although one of us has cared for a patient who developed thoracic compression myelopathy caused by bony overgrowth of his vertebral body (K Insogna, unpublished data).

2) A unique mutation in LRP5 is associated with high bone mass in man. Transgenic mice expressing this LRP5 mutation have a similar phenotype with high bone mass and enhanced strength. These results underscore the importance of LRP5 in skeletal regulation and suggest targets for therapies for bone disease.

Semi Related new treatment that will help osteoporosis
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romosozumab
>>
>>7978703
That'll be the cybest mother fuckin shit ever. I look forward to that.
>>
>>7978771
The point is, 5 standard deviation above normal bone density is pretty awesome. Will it be a useful enough trait to give to everyone? Probably not.

Then again, what about things like CCR5-Δ32 which have enormous positive selection and help give resistance to HIV?

While people talk about how complex and impossible it is to gene edit without something horrible happening. It can actually end up the opposite and a miracle gene that confers great benefit can also be found.

It's extremely beneficial to start genetically engineering and designing people. Mainly because genetic disease is so fucking common already.

When you get your low IQ brains out of your assholes you will realize there are already a ton of genetic diseases plaguing humanity that kill a lot of people already. Cystic Fibrosis, heart disorders, etc.

Oh yeah, can't "tamper" with God's plan to have you randomly die at 34 because of a heart defect, or save a teenager from going through cystic fibrosis. It would be "playing god".

For bacterial infections we can use antibiotics but for genetic diseases we can't fix them at the source. Instead it's much better to just treat them for $500,000+ to extend life a few years instead of a simple fix that costs $5,000 and is a total cure.
>>
Let's do a simple logic experiment

There is a single gene disorder that causes immense pain and suffering along with an early death.

Now, how should we solve this as humanity?

A) Don't fix the disorder. Force the person who is not us to be afflicted to the fate which also costs immense healthcare resources to society.

B) Fix the disorder by a gene edit, or otherwise remove it from possible selection for implantation in a mother.

Those are the two choices. "Treatment" isn't possible yet for most of them, but genetic screening and editing are close or already available.

Not to mention genetic screening or manipulation fixes all of them, which frees up huge amounts of healthcare resources to other pressing matters.

One choice increases human suffering and expenses. The other choice decreases and frees up a lot of human resources for other causes of death and suffering.
>>
>>7978543
aren't you afraid of babies of rich people already having better diet, more intellectually stimulating environment and access to better education, maybe even genes basically since beginning of the civilization?
>>
>>7978803
Fear.

It's just general fear. The Rich people argument is inherently illogical and pointless. It can be better just understood as, "I'm afraid of facing any feelings of inferiority".

Simply protecting their egos.
>>
>>7978648
Are you mentally retarded you fucking nigger? I explicitly said it doesn't work that way.
>>
>>7978816
-Every human is just a random mixture of genes
-If humans pick a minute fraction of the genes that are considered to be very positive
-Somehow this fucks up the baby and it comes out with 3 arms and no mouth

It doesn't work like this. The fact is us picking genes isn't going to lead to any more faults than already exist naturally through existing pure random methods.

Also the genes would already be present in healthy individuals and we would have the ability to deduce a good probability that they are worth manipulating.

So really, it's not going to lead to any worse results than already exist in random chance scenarios.

If you don't alter any genes, and just procreate naturally, you will still have a good chance of a mutant fuck up with autism coming out.

It's like baking cakes using a completely random timer, and then switching to guessing what time you should leave it in for. Your guess might turn out wrong but it won't be any worse than the random timer.
>>
How do I get into this professionally? Major in biochemistry?
>>
Maybe this will make sense.

There is a machine that bakes cakes. We don't understand the machine. The machine randomly sets a bunch of gizmos to random letter combinations.

We look at millions of the resulted cakes it bakes. We figure out statistically that when a gizmo is set to "YXL" the resulted cakes turn out better than average.

We alter the machine so it always is set to "YXL" and bake 1000 cakes this way. They come out better than average but there are still fuck ups.

Now, is leaving it at "YXL" for 5% of the time a bad choice if you want to increase the chance for good cakes?

What if you know a certain gizmo set at "MUX" always results in a bad cake? Shouldn't you set something up so the gizmo doesn't bake a cake if it's set at "MUX"?

Meanwhile there are some low IQ retards who say the machine is magical and "MUX" resulting in bad cakes and wasted resources is something we just have to accept.
>>
>>7978840
>>
>>7978839
Any bio/biochem degree will set you on the right track. But what is it exactly that you want to do? The path to designer babies must first be paved by a lot of developmental biology and genetics research.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (234KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
234KB, 1920x1080px
>mfw making babies will be like Robbaz in character creator
>>
>>7978622
>Smarter
Can't help you there. If you're feeling adventurous, I'm sure you could look at a few candidate genes from GWAS regarding intelligence.

>Stronger
Delete myostatin
>>
>>7978543
Why should we ever be afraid of the perfect human?
>>
>>7979812
KAHHHHHHHHNNNNNNN!!!!!!
>>
>>7978919
i want to create supreme aryan master race superhumans
>>
>>7979812
The perfect human would be super smart and really difficult to steer socially. That could be a major threat to anyone aspiring on power in this world (including the ones currently in power) so we would need to keep them under close surveillance and/or supervision and probably to socially engineer their surroundings quite heavily.
>>
>>7978543
No, but we shouldn't let dumbasses design their own babies.
>>
>>7980084
Yeah this. Then use the "stupid people" as a social security mechanism. If some super smartie goes out of line the stupids can have jobs which are to undermine and prod them back in order where we want them. The "stupid" or failed people will have felt the failure in school and work so they will be pretty motivated doing anything that gives them a slight societal influence. Aka shit diggery and smartie shaping business.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.