[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Self study curriculum

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

File: question girl.jpg (65KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
question girl.jpg
65KB, 500x500px
I have medical problems that prevent me from going to college so i'd like to study towards becoming a mathematician at home.

Current my curriculum is

Basic Mathematics Serge Lang
Apostol Calculus 1
Apostol Calculus 2
Gilbert Strang Linear Algebra(with the video lectures)
How to prove it a structured approach

Are there any improvements or additions that you guys can recommend? I'd hate to spend a shitload of hours on something when there's a better option.
>>
>>7978514
Basic Mathematics Serge Lang
John/Courant Calculus and Analysis I
John/Courant Calculus and Analysis II
Strang Linear Algebra WITH APPLICATIONS
>>
>>7978520
Thanks anon.

Also something iv'e noticed with Basic Mathematics.

Sometimes in the exercises section he adds a whole new topic like modular arithmetic and then never fucking mentions it again.

I mean what the fuck.
>>
>>7978529
Almost every math book does this.
>>
>>7978537
Why?

Should I just ignore it or study those topics using other resources?
>>
>Basic Mathematics by Serge Lang
Highschool math, from the perspective of a Mathematician. You will learn up Pre-Calculus and be prepared for rigorous proofs later.

>An Introduction to Mathematical Reasoning by Peter J Eccels
This changes you from rote drilling and being a human calculator in highschool to learning what math actually is, and what proofs do. Excellent, excellent book.

>How to Solve It by G. Polya
How to do proofs, written in 1940s and still for sale in every Chapters/B&N bookstore to this day because it's the best proof helper that exists.

>Calculus by Spivak
Actually, you are learning ANALYSIS, in addition to calculus.

>Linear Algebra by Friedberg, Insel and Spence
It's proof centric, this will come in handy later when you need to understand some Linear applications and don't know how something works so can revert back to your training in LA in proofs.

>Calculus on Manifolds by Spivak.
This notation is used by Gerald Sussman (of SICP fame) in all his texts. It's a great fleshing out of multi variable calculus, but you absolutely have to do the exercises, it's a small book but difficult.

>Sussman's SICP, SICM, and Functional Differential Geometry
Learn computer science/programming, classical mechanics, and differential geometry with these three books.
>>
>>7978551
It's just extra fluff. You're going to see modular arithmetic again in proofs and later in abstract algebra and number theory.
>>
>>7978566
>>Sussman's SICP, SICM, and Functional Differential Geometry
>Learn computer science/programming, classical mechanics, and differential geometry with these three books.

No
>>
>>7978566
>An Introduction to Mathematical Reasoning
http://www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/~nige/IMRpartI.pdf

Is this it?

It's only 69 pages
>>
>>7978570
No what? Can you formulate a coherent sentence?
>>
>>7978670
They're shallow meme books
>>
>>7978566
Fucking CS majors man...
>>
>>7978566
>Actually, you are learning ANALYSIS, in addition to calculus.
lel he thinks anything he learned in Spivak is actually going to recognizable in a proper analysis book

>Calculus on Manifolds by Spivak.
Fucking Christ no why would you give that to some guy who just finished self-studying basic linear algebra

>Sussman's SICP, SICM, and Functional Differential Geometry
Oh it's a braindead CS shill
makes sense now
>>
>>7978747
No I'm in arts history.
>>
File: xd.png (97KB, 1366x676px) Image search: [Google]
xd.png
97KB, 1366x676px
>>7978514
>>
>>7978747

It's bad advice even for somebody interested in theoretical computer science. There should be a much greater focus on at least number theory, set theory, combinatorics, and graph theory as a primer to being able to grasp modern complexity theory. While modelling numerical and mechanical phenomenon is certainly a valuable exercise, it'll hardly do much to reveal anything about the nature and theory of computation.
>>
http://hbpms.blogspot.com/

Why do I never see this posted in these threads? It's in the sticky ffs.
>>
>>7978551
It's just a more interesting way of coming up with exercises. Some books will use results from exercises later on, but probably not one at that level.
>>
>>7978808
Did you download the whole wikia?
>>
>>7978822
>http://hbpms.blogspot.com/
Thing is I know I want to be a mathematician but I have no idea if I want to be a Pure or Applied mathematician.

Or if it's a better idea to cross mathematics and computer science/programming because most CS/Programmer are shit at math.
>>
File: aaaaaaa1111111.png (137KB, 561x426px) Image search: [Google]
aaaaaaa1111111.png
137KB, 561x426px
It's square root day you faggots, for more information check this out: (stolen from reddit) http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/it-s-square-root-day-prepare-to-be-somewhat-underwhelmed/

what we do now
>>
>>7978812
I never said anything about computer science. These are books on math, dumb shit.
>>
>>7978843
There's no such thing as applied math in undergrad. There's pure math and then there is the same math watered down to hell.

If you want to see applications, you need to learn engineering and science.
>>
>>7978861
Those are books CS majors think are advanced math but aren't really.
>>
I'm in a similar situation but sadly am without high school diploma. In addition to mathematics, my wish is to also study physics to become a theoretical mathematician and physicist, a dream meme combo. Compensation is not an issue under the condition that it's not minimum wage for all eternity. So there are two questions left asking: 1) is it possible to get a study related job without a degree (knowledge is what matters right?!?) and 2) how does one apply to *good* college with no HS diploma?

Sorry for my awkwardness i am autistic and thanks in advance
>>
>>7979062
> is it possible to get a study related job without a degree (knowledge is what matters right?!?

No way in hell.

>how does one apply to *good* college with no HS diploma?

Just get your GED (or whatever it's called now) and go to a community college. Get good grades and transfer into a decent uni.
>>
>>7978861

>>7978747

>CS shill

>>7978566

learn computer science/programming

>both posts involved mention computer science explicitly

Do you feel bad yet?
>>
File: xd1.png (76KB, 1366x670px) Image search: [Google]
xd1.png
76KB, 1366x670px
>>7978829
Only what I wanted to learn.
>>
Where can I get some advice on how to self study some stuff for a scholarship exam? I don't want to shitpost here.
>>
>>7978710
No they're not, you tard.

SICP was waaay ahead of its time, and still is. So is its partner SICM. Functional Differential Geometry sits at the top of the Master's/PhD realm in compsci lit, along with Hacker's Delight and TAOCP.
>>
>>7980875
>sits at the top of the Master's/PhD realm in compsci lit, along with Hacker's Delight

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.