[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Chemistry General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 12

File: chem.jpg (34KB, 725x483px) Image search: [Google]
chem.jpg
34KB, 725x483px
I'll start with a question. Do all of these recent elements they create in labs exist anywhere in nature?
>>
>>7976876
Maybe in neutron stars or extremely exotic locations for a picosecond or two every month.
>>
File: lastelements.png (53KB, 1655x133px) Image search: [Google]
lastelements.png
53KB, 1655x133px
>>7976882
This.

Although it's worth noting that there could be some synthetic stable elements farther along down the line. Pic related.
>>
>>7976901
And those are just elements that no star is massive enough to create?
>>
>>7976909
I'm sure somewhere in the Universe there are systems with the necessary conditions to create these. I couldn't speculate beyond that though.
>>
Are fungi made of chemicals?
>>
>>7976918
Yes.
>>
What do I need to know in order to start organic?
>>
Do bonded electrons move around in the cloud like unbound ones?
>>
>>7976934
Not a whole lot, it's sort of its own branch of chemistry entirely. I might brush over some Lewis dot structure stuff and periodic table trends if I were you (electronegativity mainly). Organic chemistry 1 and 2 is really only learning trends and memorizing common reactions.
>>
>>7976918
what kind of question is this ?

If you have any real questions about fungi, ask away.

t. amateur mycologist
>>
>>7976994
He's our latest resident crank/shitposter, taking up the mantle of M. Fractals.

Filter and don't respond.
>>
>>7976876
Why does the job market suck so much? Or at least why do I hear it does

Can I get good at chemistry without majoring in it? Ya know, maybe good enough to synthesize some recreationals? A particular one, actually. rhymes with well s d

I like this thread op thank you
>:3
>>
>>7976998
I forgot about filters, thank you based anon
>>
>>7976999
Making lsd would be near imposible without a VERY decent lab and masters lever education, besides getting the precursors would put you on a DEA watchlist so your best bet would be to sythesize them your self witch would requiere extra knowledge, if you want to make drugs dxm is your best bet since it only requieres a 1 step water filtration wich any retard can do
>>
>>7977335
post synthesis faget
>>
>>7976935
Yes, but with less freedom of movement. You still can't pinpoint the location of an electron at any given moment, but the "cloud of probability" of its location is smaller.
>>
So I work in a lab thats working on catalytic desulfurization, and in one of our test rigs, we got a shitload of elemental sulfur condensing and hardening in a two neck round bottom flask. Only problem is that the two stems (originally connected with vacuum grease) have basically cemented themselves in the glass joints. So I can't clean out the hardened caked on sulfur. I've run it through our ultrasonic water bath at 40 degrees several times to no avail.

Any other tips for either removing those glass stems/cleaning the sulfur out?
>>
>>7976999
if you have to ask, you already have your answer

just buy your drugs like everyone else
also nice trips
>>
File: 1457260166999.jpg (51KB, 604x340px) Image search: [Google]
1457260166999.jpg
51KB, 604x340px
>>7976901
UNEXPECTIUM
>>
I am trying to hydroxylate a glass container for an experiment and I'm thinking of using piranha etch. Any tips on ratios of H2SO4 to H2O2 that would optimize the solution for my purpose? And how long should I expose the container to said solution?
>>
>>7976994
I like to make my bumps creative. Fungi happen to be my most chemically inclined interest.
>>
>>7976876
What is an element? Is a single atom an element, or is it a group of the same atoms?
>>
File: ss (2016-04-04 at 09.31.14).png (59KB, 1211x672px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-04-04 at 09.31.14).png
59KB, 1211x672px
Any of you guys used excel to make a titration curve before? I am trying to make a titration curve of 50.00mL 0.0200molL-1 acetic acid titrated with 0.0500molL-1 NaOH
>>
Witch doctor reporting in. Ask me anything
>>
>>7977898
An element is just the name of the unique arrangement of protons and electrons that form pure matter. An atom of an element is just that, and a group of the same atoms is just a molecule of that element.
>>
>>7977363
Can you post pics?
>>
>>7977957
Ah, to be in AP chemistry again...
>>
>>7977991
>Advanced Placement Chemistry (AP Chemistry or AP Chem) is a course and examination offered by the College Board as a part of the Advanced Placement Program to give American and Canadian high school students the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities and earn college-level credit.
What.

I am a second year uni student outside of the US. I am just dumb.
>>
>>7977363
Warm Xylene might help. You'll have to soak the glass. If that doesn't do it chromic acid at 10% will definitely work. Also you should soak it. Both methods are toxic but I can attest to them personally. Sulphur is a beast.
>>
>>7977711
Well, retard, everything is made of "chemicals".

What type of fungi are you interested in?
>>
>>7978095
Not him but I would like to ask some questions about fungi.

Is it true that they are closer related to animals than plants?
>>
>>7977363
if you are careful you could try a dilute solution of bromine in methanol. I have used this to clean selenium from glassware, so it should work similarly for sulfur. Although I might try the warm xylene first as that may be a less exothermic process.
>>
>>7977363
ever hear of piranha solution? I have to clean all of my glassware with it cause I work with TM-chalcogenide clusters

also, try using a heat gun to heat up the joints. you're gonna have to get it hot af so use some oven mits.
>>
>>7977688
i use 3/1 for piranha, probably an hour or so should do the trick.
>>
>>7978100
On a cellular structure level, yes. Due to cell walls being made of chitin (found no where in the plant world, but is found in insect exoskeletons), protein similarities, lack of chlorophyl and a sterol called "lanosterol".

But as far as looks and behavior are concerned, no
>>
>>7977688
I do 3:1 sulfuric acid to hydrogen peroxide, boil the solution for an hour then rinse thoroughly with MilliQ water. If possible, a plasma cleaning is a good final step to this process. This worked for me when I was doing some silanization chemistry to functionalize glass substrates with APTES.
>>
>>7978110
So do a lot of insects eat fungi to keep their exoskeletons strong? Also, what is the most interesting kind of fungi to you?
>>
>>7978115
Ha, maybe, though I've witnessed it or heard of it.

Psilocybin Cubensis is the masterrace
>>
>>7978121
lol, magic mushrooms
>>
>>7978122
yes sir

>:3
>>
File: hm.jpg (100KB, 494x314px) Image search: [Google]
hm.jpg
100KB, 494x314px
>>7978115
>>
File: 1458725992371.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1458725992371.png
1MB, 1280x720px
Currently taking gen chem 2. Have little recollection of gen chem 1. Failed first test horribly. Second test is on Chemical Kinetics, Chemical Equilibrium and Chemical Equillibria: Acids and bases. What prior knowledge do I need to understand these chapters. Text is McMurray Fay Chemistry.
>>
>>7978388
Stop fucking around and start studying.
>>
File: 1457435562064.jpg (129KB, 716x798px) Image search: [Google]
1457435562064.jpg
129KB, 716x798px
>>7978396
Right but, I need to know what to study. That was the question.
>>
>>7978107
This. This stuff kicks ass. Really it should only be used to clean off residue though, caked on bulk will be a pretty violent reaction.
>>
>>7977355
Of dxm? He's litterally saying buy the bottle of cough syrup and use water to extract the psychoactive content (dxm) though if I'm not mistaken guafasin is water soluble as well so look out for that. If you're looking for a more challenging synth but don't have any background don't try it, you'll just waste your time and possibly fuck yourself up in the process.
>>
>>7978402
head over to lib gen or kickass torrents, look for chemical principles: the quest for insight, and the study guide (4th and 6th editions have matching studyguides, the 4th has also the solutions manual), read the summaries, and read the corresponding chapter in the study guide
>>
>>7977355
The water extraction only works for polisterex because the HBr salt is water soluble. To extract the non time release stuff you have to perform an A/B extraction which you can find here
https://erowid.org/chemicals/dxm/faq/dxm_chemistry.shtml
>>
Is there any reaction with commonly available chemicals that gives off elemental fluorine? Basically, I am constructing a gas chamber for rats I catch on glue boards. It will be safe for me since the executions will be done outside with a way for me to vent it out into the atmosphere from a distance.
>>
File: IDGAF.jpg (263KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
IDGAF.jpg
263KB, 900x600px
>>7978458
Thank you very much.
>>
>>7977957
How the fuck did you get a negative slope when titrating with NaOH?
>>
>>7978660
>with commonly available chemicals
What do you mean by that?

There is [math]\rm{K_2MnF_6 + 2 SbF_5 \rightarrow 2 KSbF_6 + MnF_3 + \frac 1 2 F_2}[/math]. The [math]\rm{K_2MnF_6}[/math] can be synthesized out of [math]\rm{KMnO_4, \, KF, \, HF}[/math] and [math]\rm{H_2O_2. \; SbCl_5}[/math] + HF will give you [math]\rm{SbF_5}[/math] (Inorg. Chem., 1986, 25 (21), pp 3721–3722).
>>
>>7979084
Chemicals that are reasonably easy to obtain by a layperson.

I really don't want to mess with HF in my garage, and I'm sure I'd get some funny looks trying to buy it. By
>>
File: but why.png (14KB, 558x240px) Image search: [Google]
but why.png
14KB, 558x240px
Why is (CH3)3P a stronger nucleophile than (CH3)3N in a polar aprotic solvent? I thought smaller nucleophiles were stronger in aprotic solvents?
>>
>>7979307
HF is weaker than HCl though...
The larger halogens are the stronger ones when it comes to acids. Larger molecules that are better able stabilize a negative charge donate protons more easily, and are thereby more acidic.
You want to buy HI or some kind of organic acid if you want weird looks.
>>
>>7979310
Which is more electronegative, N or P?
>then
What does that mean? Explain it to your grandma.
>then
Which one is more likely to give its lone pair of electrons?
>then
Which one is more likely to therefore attack a slightly partial positive nucleus (i.e. act as nucleophile)?
>>
>>7979379
>N is more electronegative
>N should be more aggressive, more basic, and a better nucleophile in a non-protic solvent.

If the solvent was protic, P would be a better nucleophile because it's larger, and I could see how P might act as a better leaving group, but as far as nucleophiles are concerned, N should be the stronger one. Am I misunderstanding something here?
>>
>>7979389
Currently taking a shit. Gimme a few secs to draw something out
>>
>>7979394
Minutes*
>>
>>7976901
This is absolutely fascinating. I hope that one day we'll know the properties of these elements.
>inb4 super durable and conductive and shit
>>
>>7979400
What would make you think they'd have those properties, just curious.
>>
>>7979359
HF is extremely poisonous and much more dangerous to work with than HCl.

Weak and Strong in regards to acid refers to how much of it dissociates in solution, not reactivity or corrosive ability.
>>
File: 1402949675822.jpg (53KB, 625x469px) Image search: [Google]
1402949675822.jpg
53KB, 625x469px
>>7977363
Just use bleach familia
Bleach is amazing for sulfur chemistry
>>
>>7978406
Just add it dropwise, senpai.
>>
I'm very interested in psychoactive substances and was wondering if it's possible to predict how is substitution going to affect the way the drug affects the brain?
>>
>>7979359
Lol are you retarded? HF will fucking wreck your shit way worse than HCl ever could.
>>
>>7979359
HF is the least acidic, but Flouride ions are the most basic.
>>
>>7979514
Fluoride*
>>
>>7979504
Yeah those fluorine ions bonding to your bone gonna feel real nice haha
>>
File: 0404161931[1].jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
0404161931[1].jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>>7979389
>If the solvent was protic

So, if the solvent was protic, both trimethylphosphine (pka 8.65) and trymethylamine (pka 9.81) would act as bases and steal the acidic proton from the solvent.

hence they would both be shit nucleophiles, because they are both protonated like a lazy fat fucks, and thus have no lone pairs of electrons left to participate in a nucleophilic substitution

see 1)

> P would be a better nucleophile because it's larger, and I could see how P might act as a better leaving group

remember that in general, the bigger the molecule, the more steric hindrance comes into play

Now, P cant be both a nucleophile AND a leaving group. thats not how SN2 works.

you might be thinking this: a larger molecule or atom can more effectively delocalize a negative charge over a give surface area, thus making it a GOOD leaving group. YES. this is true, refer to Cl, Br, I, tosyl esters, etc.

but P is not acting as a nucleophile, then leaving.

>N should be the stronger one
Basicity is not always indicative of nucleophilicity

A lot of stuff comes into play here, steric hindrance, choice of solvent, electronegativity and stuff. Lets focus on electronegativity. it means elements are electron greedy and want to hold on their electrons.

N is more electronegative than P, therefore its going to hold on to its electrons more strongly than P. P is also electron rich (because higher atomic number) so P doesnt care about its lone pairs going off and making bonds and shit. P is more likely to donate its electrons and form a bond with a partial positively charged carbon atom in a substrate like for ex, 1-propyl bromide.

remember, I can displace Br in an SN2 even though its fat as fuck

in general, nuclophilicity increases with increasing electron density on an atom. think of the posters childs of good nuclophiles (alkoxides and stuff), they have an abundance of electron

so, yes size matters (kek) but so do a bunch of other factors that must be considered.
>>
>>7978095
All kinds, but I guess mainly the ones that aren't involved in decomposition. Anything that can literally eat a rock is okay in my book.
>>
File: 0219161704f[1].jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
0219161704f[1].jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>>7979553
hopefully i answered your question man, i feel like i rambled on. if you want a more rigorous approach i can try to lay it out.

have this pic of an American Robin i photographed the other day
>>
Starting my first day of university soon, with a major in chemistry. I know they won't be going over anything too terribly complicated for the first few weeks, but I want to be as prepared as possible. Any tips?

I'm currently reading up on periodic table trends.
>>
>>7979582
Start with radii m'lad. Then, effective nuclear charge. Everything comes together.
>>
>>7979582
Pick your lab partner carefully. Try to find someone as serious as you are and not some schmuck who only wants a C because it's required for their major.

Trends are easy. What you need to be doing is memorizing polyatomic ions and their charges, and SI prefixes up to 10^+-21
>>
>>7979585
>>7979587
These; also, if possible, get on VSEPR early and shit is easy.
>>
>>7979593
This, an also familiarize yourself with ficking orbitals
>>
What do you guys think are currently the hottest topics in chemistry? I.e. get most funding, or are so new that there's a lot to explore.

What about in the near future? 10-20 years.

Conversely, what are some topics that are so saturated that you're pretty much beating a dead horse?
>>
>>7979614
Polymers are always hot.
>>
>>7976876
Nothing past uranium exists in nature (and wasn't put there by man).
>>
>>7979553
So, N holding onto its electrons more closely makes it a worse nucleophile than P even though it's smaller (less sterically hindered), and stronger in general?

Isn't oxygen a better nucleophile than sulfur in aprotic solvent *because* it's smaller and stronger?

I'm a bit confused. Do the same rules not apply for period 7 that apply for period 6?

>>7979558
Nice bird. ' ^ '
>>
>>7979657
>stronger in general
as an electron donor
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.