[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could mammoths be brought back to life and survive in nature?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: woolly_mammoth_bfi.jpg (872KB, 2400x1800px) Image search: [Google]
woolly_mammoth_bfi.jpg
872KB, 2400x1800px
Could mammoths be brought back to life and survive in nature?
>>
If there was any intact DNA left from the stone ages, then you possibly make a clone. However, we do not have the technology yet to do this.
>>
>>7976324
Yes, but it depends on your definition of "mammoth"
>>
>>7976376
Mammoths weren't extinct until about 3700 years ago on Wrangel Island of Siberia. Intact DNA will not be found, as it is always contaminated or destroyed to some extent. Instead; you would insert mammoth like traits found in the genome of sequences of the damaged DNA in to Asian elephants, which would make up mammoth-like traits, for example the hair.

>>7976385
Do you mean as in you couldn't replicate the behaviour of an extinct species? The definition of a mammoth should be in the content of their genome and physical attributes because that can be 100% proven, whereas behavioural traits are probably lost forever.

Also: why do people even want to do it?
>>
>Could mammoths be brought back to life
yes, but it's a bit of a long shot
>and survive in nature?
no, megafauna are stressed enough as it is without suffering from minimal diversity and the wrong adaptations for modern climate
>>
>>7976487
What about in "Pleistocene park" in Russia? And also; can't you manipulate the genes of the mammoths so that they're adapted to our climate and temperature rather than the climate of their prime?
>>
>>7976501
They would probably not be mammoths if they were better adapted.

>>7976418
>Why do people even want to do it?
Proof of concept I guess? To show ourselves that we can and possibly pave the way towards modified humans.
>>
>>7976487
just bring those shits to antartica and give them some food
>>
No don't believe any of the popsci click bait articles.

Yes we can find intact DNA, but what pop scientists don't realize is that DNA has a half life of about 520 years (I think). In the best case scenario, if you find manage to find a dwarf wooly mammoth carcass with intact DNA that died 4000 years ago, less than 1% of that DNA would remain of what there originally was.

>but we'll just fill the holes and gaps with elephant DNA

Good luck figuring out where to put which genes and hoping the end result would look anything like a wooly mammoth
>>
>>7976418
Even at the genetic level, it's impossible to replicate the entire mammoth genome, because we simply don't have one. A bioengineered mammoth would just be an approximation. A very good approximation, but not a true "mammoth".
>>
>>7976524
So you'd say that the researchers that claim that is is possible (not popsci articles - actual proffesors and such) to sequence the genome are mostly looking to raise awareness and get investors so that they can spend their time on a sci-fi project?
>>
Man moths?
>>
>>7976885
Man moths are my religion
>>
>>7976324
>Could mammoths be brought back to life

Yes, and I imagine they will be some day

>>7976324
>survive in nature

No, humans are part of nature and we would kill them very fast
>>
>>7976418

Didn't you see the frozen sabertooth tiger cubs?

There's all sorts of shit preserved in the ice
>>
The reason they're extinct is because they couldn't survive in nature, dumbass.
>>
The hardest part would be getting enough elephants (which are already endangered, few and far between) that you could do research on.
You need lots of females that will survive in captivity, inseminate them and wait for them to give birth, which could kill the mother, and the child may not be viable. This is an incredibly expensive and probably illegal proposition with little to no conceivable payoff. So you bring one or two mammoths back from extinction, what do you do with them then? Keep them in a zoo until they die? May be able to charge admission as it's a novelty and possibly a kind of natural freak show. Highly unethical.
>>
>>7977041
plz dont spooky me
>>
>>7978679
The reason they're extinct is because God willed it so.
>>
>>7978679
They went extinct because of earth getting hotter combined with hunting humans. If they were brought back they would certainly not be hunted, dumbass
>>
>>7978805
So where would they live if they were brought back? Antartica?
>>
>>7978736
But if we are capable of bringing an extinct specie back to life, isn't it unethical to not do so? If it was to re-extinct, then so be it, but isn't it our duty to make up for the changes we have made on earth already?
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.