[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw you find out your research is wrong.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: this_is_why_i_drone_people.jpg (79KB, 388x290px) Image search: [Google]
this_is_why_i_drone_people.jpg
79KB, 388x290px
>tfw you find out your research is wrong.
>>
There's no problem, you achieved more knowledge, your research was a success.
>>
>not using Wikipedia
>>
>>7977783
Daily reminder that Wikipedia is not for original research and this is correct behavior for an online encyclopedia.
>>
I wasted several years in graduate school trying to engineer a mutant variant of green fluorescent protein that had its fluorescence switchable on/off by the presence of a 2nd molecule. We had a proof of concept making a switchable enzyme but that took hours to see the results. Having a light emitting protein that was switchable in real time would be a huge breakthrough. Our ultimate goal was to visualize neurons firing in real time. I spent all night in the lab several times a week and tried everything. Never could get it to work.

I used to joke with a buddy of mine that we need to create a scientific journal for failed experiments. That way people can see all the shit that other people have tried that didn't work. Unfortunately people only publish what works.

In a way I think publishing what didn't work is also important. It could save somebody else a lot of trouble.
>>
>>7977820
Science was never meant to generate success. It was only designed to get humanity out of a mass philosophical slump. Now that we know more about systems evolution we can upgrade the scientific method itself.
>>
>>7977820
now wouldn't be a bad time to look back at it now that you've had time to clear your head
>>
>>7977881
I graduated last year and am now out in the workforce as a senior lab tech. So i cant revisit it. Although it would be awesome to go back and succeed where i previosly failed.
>>
>>7977820
There actually is a journal out there for "failed" results, but I think it has a negative stigma attached to it and doesn't get much in the way of submission or funding so it isn't doing too well.
I can't actually remember the name of it, but if you search "Journal of Failed Results" you can probably dig it up.
>>
>Star classmate gets to intern and potentially work at a prestigious institute, and you have to go full NEET/radio silence/soul crush to barely work to her level.

At least she likes and remembers my talks after all this time...
>>
File: Image_698_698.png (112KB, 263x355px) Image search: [Google]
Image_698_698.png
112KB, 263x355px
>>7976148
>try to formulate a TQFT on a manifold with boundary and including YM terms
>try to generalize boundary results for wavefunctions to the gauge fields to look for invariants and anomalies
>3 months later and found out that no such generalization exists
Lmao just end my life
>>
>>7977831
When you remove all misunderstanding, what's left is ignorance.
>>
>>7978856
do you even lit review you dumb cuck
>>
>>7976148
I'm grasping at straws trying to salvage my thesis.Feels bad.
>>
File: 1456702187187.png (765KB, 1069x489px) Image search: [Google]
1456702187187.png
765KB, 1069x489px
>>7978490
>underachiever ends up doing everything you could have ever wished
>tfw I was the underachiever
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.