[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is CS the only STEM job that allows you to work from home/freelance?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: p12478_p_v8_aa.jpg (411KB, 960x1440px) Image search: [Google]
p12478_p_v8_aa.jpg
411KB, 960x1440px
Is CS the only STEM job that allows you to work from home/freelance?
>>
with a maths degree you won't even have to work, you'll be able to retire at 25 as a millionaire

t. maths major
>>
I'm a freelance philosopher. I work from home. People come to me and pay me for ethical advice.
>>
>>7975879

Engineering is better than CS. Enjoy your codemonkey jobs and lower salary pleb.
>>
>>7975879
Any STEM major can get a CS job
>>
>>7975886
GOOD POINT

>>7975908
I haven't actually declared my major yet so I can still be a patrician if I apply myself

>>7975926
likely true, but an employer looking for a CS-related job would sooner higher a CS major over any other major, assuming resumes and portfolios are equal.
>>
math degree 300mil starting reporting in, don't do CS, do math. Math will land you comfy hours and 300 mil
>>
>>7975973
Currently trying to decide between chemistry, math, mechanical engineering and CS.

Chem has shit jobs and employment outlook, but the field is dank.

CS seems like ultra dank work environment and employment outlook, but it gets shat on here HARD.

Math is clearly the patrician choice but idk what the careers are like, very interested though.

And mechE is tried and tru, cool stuff too. Solid employment, cool educational material, etc.
I mainly want a comfy work environment, with some interest in what I do.
>>
>>7975879
>Is CS the only STEM job that allows you to work from home/freelance?
No.

Patent attorneys/agents and examiners often have arrangements that allow them to work from home, and these usually have a masters degree or higher, in Physics, Electronics, Medicine, Chemistry, Biology etc.

I am not aware of any in this line of work with a CS degree.
>>
>>7975986
Math is in an even more dreadful state than chem.

CS also get shat on because it's part of the "100k fresh outta college" meme and people actually believe it.
>>
>>7976005
Really? Math employment is that bleak?

sad.

And yeah I know the CS bubble is way overhyped.
>>
>>7975986

In all honesty anon, CS and Mech E are your options with CS being more comfy.
>>
>>7976013
The problem with math employment is that past a certain level of mathematics you're mainly doing it for shits n' giggles and it can be applied anywhere there is strict math such as analysis for companies or financing. Hell some math majors do low tier programming because fuck it.

I'd say if you can do it and would like it go MechE
>>
>>7976016
>>7976019
MechEs work from home sometimes?
>>
>>7976071
goddammit, I don't mean to trip. put it on one time as a joke when someone asked "does sci have trips?" and I said "no"
>>
>>7975908
Not every CS major is a Java monkey. Of course, a big part of them are now that everyone wants to create the next Facebook.
>>
Many programming jobs will require you to be on site. Cooperation is a lot easier that way, and many of these trendy agile methodologies will require you to be at the place.
>>
>>7976071
Kek no. It just pays really well.
>>
Can you minor in CS an major in mathematics?I actually want to make stuff with what I learn and not be stuck to academia.
>>
>>7976273
Yeah, my uni has that as a popular choice.
>>
>>7976307
Does it workout for alot of them?
>>
>>7976273
>and not be stuck to academia.
Few math majors wind up in academia. Stop getting all of your career advice from /sci/ and go talk to somebody at your school you colossal retard.
>>
>>7975908
Writing code is not computer science, it's software ENGINEERING.
>>
>>7976400
software engineering is not engineering, its software DEVELOPING
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.