[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do we know that stars/galaxies are redshifted? What lets

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: 2000px-Redshift_blueshift.svg.png (180KB, 2000x1250px) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Redshift_blueshift.svg.png
180KB, 2000x1250px
How do we know that stars/galaxies are redshifted? What lets us know that they should be more blue in the first place?
>>
We know what the spectrum of a star should look like based on fundamental physics. For example, hydrogen absorbs light at specific frequencies, so these are well-defined "holes" in the emission spectrum of the sun. That alone provides a very precise measure for how red or blue shifted a source is. The fact that it correlates perfectly with the dozen or so other methods confirms it's not some other effect.
>>
>>7974059
>expecting a flat earther to accept the scientific consensus on star spectrums
>>
>>7974059
What if only our sun has this specific chemcial composition and all other stars are made up of completely different stuff we've never even discovered yet?
>>
File: music1.png (85KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
music1.png
85KB, 700x525px
>>7974030
You can try by comparing it to Doppler effect. You know, for example, when an ambulance is approaching you, the sounds get a higher pitch. When an ambulance is going away from you, the sound gets a lower pitch.
>>
>>7974252
>I can currently explain much of the observed phenomena via a physical theory with perfect analogs on Earth (redshifted signals, measured hydrogen lines) that explains the rest of the universe as being made of the same stuff we see in our existence.
>But let's throw that out in favor of a non-predictive model in which the physics of our universe changes wildly depending on location, disregarding covariant arguments, etc.

While you might then bring up (unrelated to the redshifted argument) dark matter/dark energy as possibly supporting this wacky ideology, people are looking for universal particles/interaction that's currently unseen--not that dark matter pops up in certain parts only to magically explain inconsistency.
>>
>>7974252
Interesting, albeit not novel, idea. Moot point though - if physics is completely different in other parts of the universe, we have no way of testing that hypothesis. Also, there is no hint whatsoever to suggest that molecular vibro-rotational spectra look different in other solar systems..
>>
>>7974252
Everything fits together perfectly without contradicting evidence. If that is not enough to convince you then you are suffering under a serious confirmation bias.
>>
>>7974278
I think racecars are a much better example.
Ask a couple 6 year olds what sound a racecar makes as it passes the camera
>>
File: Light-Spectrum.jpg (91KB, 934x670px) Image search: [Google]
Light-Spectrum.jpg
91KB, 934x670px
>>7974278
Now apply this idea to the Sun. It the Sun is approaching you it's wavelength decreases (it goes to the left on my pic). You see what happens with it's color? Now if It's moving away from you, it's wavelength increases (it moves to the right). Now see what happens to the color?
>>
>>7974289
I was assuming OP is older than a 6 year old.
>>
>>7974298
Never a good assumption
>>
>>7974285
>and here's the guy who swallows all the cocks because he read it in a popsci blog
>>
>>7974252
The emission/absorption lines of elements/molecules can be observed on earth, and are in agreement with theoretical models.
>>
>>7974071
>flat earther
Jesus, dude, all I did was ask a simple fucking question. I guess that's what happens when you go to a shit *chan and expect actual discussion.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.