[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /sci/ thinks of learning calculus in khan academy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 9

File: Khan-Academy.jpg (62KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
Khan-Academy.jpg
62KB, 900x900px
If you have a different recommendation be free to share
>>
>>7972897
aw man there's a screenshot somewhere with all the books and steps on learning mat but i dont have it, bumping for someone to give you it
>>
Khan Academy touches the most important parts of the subject, but it's shit if you want to prepare for tests since the problems given by the Mongolian Academy are never type your teacher gives you. It's great but have some reference from the class
t. Received a shitty education and studied with khan Academy for college entrance
>>
Great way to learn if you use the exercises and only use videos when you are stuck. They have quite good calculus materials. Should be enough
>>
>>7972897
Things like khan academy should only be used as a supplement.
>>
>>7972897
you're underage
>>
learn from Apostol's Calculus. Use the 1001 problems for calculus as practice or use the exercises in a stewart textbook.
>>
>>7972919
ok i want this.. any pointers/clues as to where to start looking for this to make my scouring less excruciating?
>>
>>7972974
Never used khan, what do you mean by saying that the problems are never the type your teacher gives you?
>>
>>7973010
This. Great resource because Sal is a great teacher but I only used it when I had trouble understanding something.
>>
>>7972897
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYyARMqiaag&list=PLF797E961509B4EB5
Hits algebra to calc 3, may be useful...
>>
File: cd5.png (372KB, 600x783px) Image search: [Google]
cd5.png
372KB, 600x783px
>>7973112
Dang, what a qt!

>>7972897
Khan Academy was great when I needed to brush up on stuff on easy stuff like Trig and Algebra 2. Once it got to Calculus I didn't find it rigorous enough, so I just learned from a textbook and watched his videos once in a while instead.
>>
File: 7N5OKNGOA0Q.jpg (87KB, 442x450px) Image search: [Google]
7N5OKNGOA0Q.jpg
87KB, 442x450px
>>7972897
>khan academy
>>
>>7972897
I'd recommend you get a textbook and teach yourself and supplement with Khan Academy.

It will take an ungodly amount of time to learn through videos alone.
>>
>>7973094
>Sal is a great teacher
>Sal
>great teacher
well memed my friend
>>
>>7972919
Anyone have this perhaps?
>>
>>7973112
> Professor Leonard
my man
>>
>>7973529
I read the whole text book, I answer questions to do with what I've read and then I watch videos on Khan Academy about what I've read.

This works great for me.
>>
>>7972897
Most of /sci/ dislikes it and thinks it's too simple, I thought it was great when I was learning chemistry
>>
File: 1456207898204.png (65KB, 977x785px) Image search: [Google]
1456207898204.png
65KB, 977x785px
>>7972919
You mean this one?
>>
File: google_bookshelf.png (2MB, 1675x746px) Image search: [Google]
google_bookshelf.png
2MB, 1675x746px
>>7975658
>tfw I fell for this meme.

Fuck I wish I was a NEET so I'd have more time to devote to this.
>>
>>7972897

Khan academy is good if you want to see a visual explanation of something in real time. I wouldn't use it as my main method simply because I get distracted using a computer. I need to be at a table far away from electronics.
>>
>>7975650
If you know anything about chemistry and watch his videos, you literally wtf at how many things he's done wrong and use other/better resources for help.

t. orgo student
>>
>>7973112

god damn that person makes my penis erect
>>
https://minireference.com/
>>
>>7975658
Yep that's the one

>>7975854
Are those yours?
Do you have to the folder link for all those files?
>>
>>7976956
THIS
>>7975854
Please share senpai
>>
File: maths.png (49KB, 992x389px) Image search: [Google]
maths.png
49KB, 992x389px
>>7972919
>>
>>7977368
>>7972919

It would be much better if you hadn't posted anything at all, this screenshot is a fucking abherration. Refrain from posting guidance on math if you haven't studied math yourself.

The beginning of a math study is linear algebra and real analysis. I strongly recommend Hoffman & Kunze - Linear Algebra and Tao - Analysis I for this. They are books which will build the foundations of how to prove things very well and lay the foundations of much of math as well. You might want to use something like "How to prove it - a structured approach" for more specific tips on how to do a proof.

Seriously, fuck off with this idiotic screenshot. Up to step 5 it's fine then it goes full retarded, absolutely nothing to redeem it.
>>
>>7977368
>PDEs before Analysis
wtf is this shit
>>
>>7977391
Undergrad PDEs
>>
>>7977394
Seems unnecessary for a math major. If you are gonna spend time on both, why not just get through analysis first and then do PDEs at the level of like Evans' book.
>>
File: xd.png (97KB, 1366x676px) Image search: [Google]
xd.png
97KB, 1366x676px
>>7975854
>Fuck I wish I was a NEET so I'd have more time to devote to this.
I know this feeling
>>
>>7977380
Would you write a list?

Pretty sure several agreed with you on that thread but all we have is that post

wouldnt hurt anyone to have a new screenshot for these types of threads
>>
>>7977483
THIS
>>
>>7975658
Is there something like this but for everything that's before calculus?
>>
Do people actually spend money on textbooks? You can literally look up "Free x textbook pdf" and you will get hundreds of free pdf textbooks in that subject. I can understand it for advanced stuff but calc 1-3 can all be taught for free
>>
File: 1456907206330.jpg (103KB, 601x665px) Image search: [Google]
1456907206330.jpg
103KB, 601x665px
>>7975658
kek
>they fell for the uni curriculum progression is a chain of prerequisites meme

"Linear Algebra" can be done before Calc I.
"Abstract Algebra" can be done before Calc I.
"Set Theory" can be done before Calc I.
"Graph Theory" can be done before Calc I.
"Intro to Proofs" can be done before Calc I.

Doing Apostol after Spivak is a waste of fucking time. Just go straight into Proofs and Analysis.

Rudin is a good pedant and a shit teacher. His books are reference-tier, not education-tier.

sage goes in all fields
>>
>>7978308
Also, you don't need whole Calc I just to learn transcendentals. That shit takes couple hours from 0 to hero. Maybe a day of reading and watching u-toob videos if you're dense
>>
Opinions on this website, /sci/ ?

I come from a very shitty background (2nd world shithole, degenerate family) and I've started learning mathematics in here before I go back to finish school. Will this website actually help me or will be work against me some how?

I was going to make a thread for this but then I saw the 'duplicate file'.
>>
>>7973529
>>7976004

why are you faggots posting on sci? go back to r9k.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.