[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did this happen?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

Glass ashtray exploded, much of it still within its own footprint. No cigarette butts to be found.
>>
>>7972119
How hot were the ashes? If there's a significant temperature difference if it's cold outside, then that could shatter the glass.
>>
>>7972121

Mild weather. There were maybe 20-30 butts in the ashtray. I just found it this way in the morning.
>>
>>7972121
This. Also depending on how glass is cooled in construction processes, the molecules of the amorphous solid can take on some weird stress patterns -- prince Rupert's drops are a famous example of this phenomenon. Placing a hot cigarette or cigar face down on the right spot, maybe with a temperature difference to boot, could cause a material failure like this.
>>
it was struck by an airliner at collapsed after burning jet fuel and office supplies compromised the structural integrity of the ashtray
>>
>>7972126
>in the morning
So it was outside overnight? Definitely a temperature change, then.
>>
>>7972149

My guess is that the butts lit up sometime in the night and heated the glass then it popped. The remaining butts burned to ash (causing the burn scars), and blew away leaving no trace.

It's just hard to imagine the butts burning that hot.

Could also be blue ice from a 747, or a visitation from a 5th dimensional being.
>>
>>7972156
>It's just hard to imagine the butts burning that hot.
It's not like they have to be scorching hot.

Once, my friend took a warm glass out of the dishwasher and poured cold juice in it and it shattered.
>>
>>7972119
Ice.
>>
>>7972119
Maybe it has something to do with all those burn marks on the wood below it? That one in the ring looks kinda fresh. The patterning reminds me of a medium-focus, solar hotspot from a magnifying lens.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.