[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Philosophy of Weird Al

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: ideas.jpg (24KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
ideas.jpg
24KB, 400x300px
/mu/ thread: >>>/mu/63644969

We're going to be analyzing Weird Al song lyrics as if Weird Al himself were an unwitting prophet. You can frame the lyrics as analyzing any time period, the only rule is that you can't directly quote any of his song lyrics. Titles are otherwise acceptable, but sometimes bad form.

What I need from you is a list of philosophical inquiries that one might ask while taking Weird Al lyrics seriously. If you're feeling very bold, you can even frame it in the form of a potential title for a (supposedly) academic paper. I don't expect anyone to write any summary/forward for such paper, but I certainly won't refuse any efforts spared for the sake of this experiment.

By the end of this we should have a fairly comprehensive body of work for analyzing potential future events ("prophecies"). It is entirely permissible to occasionally conflate Al Gore with Weird Al to throw off future historians, but keep it to song lyric analysis.

I'll start:
>Mushroom Clouds: Literal or Allegory? End Times in The Songs of Weird Al

The idea is to create a baseline for obviously non-prophetic works so we have a basis to refute pseudoprophecy in other bodies of work.
>>
die jew
>>
>>7964146
I don't know which song you're referring to.
>>
Wouldn't this fit better on /his/ or /lit/ ?
>>
Put down your chainsaw and listen to me
It's time for us to join in the fight
It's time to let your babies grow up to be cowboys
It's time to let the bedbugs bite

You better put all your eggs in one basket
You better count your chickens before they hatch
You better sell some wine before it's time
You better find yourself an itch to scratch

You better squeeze all the Charmin
you can while Mr. Wimpole's not around
Stick your head in the microwave and get yourself a tan

Talk with your mouth full
Bite the hand that feeds you
Bite on more than you chew
What can you do
Dare to be stupid

Take some wooden nickles
Look for Mr. Goodbar
Get your mojo working now
I'll show you how
You can dare to be stupid

You can turn the other cheek
You can just give up the ship
You can eat a bunch of sushi and forget to leave a tip

Dare to be stupid
Come on and dare to be stupid
It's so easy to do
Dare to be stupid
We're all waiting for you
Let's go

It's time to make a mountain out of a molehill
So can I have a volunteer
There's no more time for crying over spilled milk
Now it's time for crying in your beer

Settle down, raise a family, join the P-T-A
Buy some sensible shoes and a Chevrolet
And party 'till you're broke and they drive you away
It's OK, you can dare to be stupid

It's like spitting on a fish
It's like barking up a tree
It's like I said you gotta buy one if you want to get one free

Dare to be stupid (yes)
Why don't you dare to be stupid
It's so easy to do
Dare to be stupid
We're all waiting for you
Dare to be stupid

Burn your candle at both ends
Look a gift horse in the mouth
Mashed potatoes can be your friends

You can be a coffee achiever
You can sit around the house and watch Leave It To Beaver
The future's up to you
So what you gonna do
>>
>>7964880
The idea is to take an academic approach, not a literary approach. Neither of those boards has the kind of academic analysis of philosophy that we'd need to make a real convincing set of prophecies.
>>
>>7964938
I'd suggest vetting your results using /x/
>>
>>7966428
Yes but that comes later. Right now we need more philosophy. Do I just have to grind on /mu/ until we have enough references to get the content flowing?
>>
Ugh... /mu/ moves too quickly. Do no /sci/entologists listen to Weird Al?
>>
>>7964938
>The idea is to take an academic approach, not a literary approach.
>academic approach, not a literary approach.

why not just stab yourself? it would be so easy
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.