[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stop bullying software engineers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: 2ea.jpg (47KB, 680x568px) Image search: [Google]
2ea.jpg
47KB, 680x568px
Stop bullying software engineers
>>
ok
>>
ill bully u all i want
im akane
>>
>>7963801
Stop being such weird fucking hipsters
>>
>>7963801
computer scientists aren't software engineers
>>
gomenasai
>>
>>7964244
gomendasai*
>>
>>7964252
fug u i barely started on japanese
>>
>>7963801
software '''''engineers''''
>>
File: Deep_in_thought.gif (2MB, 960x544px) Image search: [Google]
Deep_in_thought.gif
2MB, 960x544px
I have always felt that software engineering is more like a form of high-tech carpentry rather than an engineering discipline.

>>7964624
Everything that you implement has a specification, part of the task is being in compliance with that spec.
And this is to say nothing of language standards, and coding style standards to boot, of which there are many (NASA-C, JPL-C, MISRA-C, Google etc.) and the development of conformance test suites.

I think that the reason people decry software nerds is because, every man woman and child who owns a computer has access to a compiler, and as a result of this the overwhelming (and I mean truly, truly overwhelming) majority of programmers write bad code.
If somebody tells you he's a software engineer, it's usually safe to assume he's completely incompetent, whereas if somebody tells you he's a civil engineer it's usually safe to assume he knows what he's doing.

And because of this dilemma companies are trying really fucking hard to find good devs, and it's tough.
Good devs are like unicorns, we can't create them pedagogically, they arrive from some other dimension.
>>
>>7964820
careful, unicorn is also a meme word
>>
>>7964820
>software engineering is more like a form of high-tech carpentry rather than an engineering discipline
Quantitatively, yes. Most programmers are more like carpenters with their lack of mathematics. But there are others that actually engineer things, and really, those are the ones that get real work done.

Saved BTW. I need this GIF for... Reasons. Yes.
>>
>>7963801
Stop pretending that you are a software engineer when you are a lowly programmer, or are masons architects?
>>
>>7963801

Software engineer and a WEEB? purge yourself.
>>
>>7964820
This is the actual problem with software engineering. Even /sci/entists think code developers are software engineers.

Originally software engineering concerned interfacing with industrial hardware and embedded systems. Not general purpose programme. It was watered down EE much like environmental engineering is to ChemE. They're supposed to take the basic enigneering and science courses.

Nowadays all these unaccreditted meme programmes call their IT monkey/programming degrees software engineering.

O yes, and that fucking visas, companies are so fucking retarded for thinking a lower price tag Indian can replace competance or do literally anything of worth.
>>
what are you gonnan do about it
>>
>>7963801
I don't understand the bullying.
I've been taking physics and math classes my whole college career, and just started working on my css minor by taking a software engineering class.
Good god, anons, it sucks. So much group work, collaborating, and having to talk about what you think about some stupid solution and how it makes you feel. Math classes are so easy because there's no lab, you don't do any group work, except just talking to other classmates about how different people got to a solution. And the path you get to the solution is fine either way, whereas in programming/software it's not "elegant enough" or "efficient enough."
>>
>>7965608
Also, I got stuck in a group with a 19 a year old with a skullet who talks like Garth from Wayne's World.
Kill me.
>>
>>7965608
>Don't take any class
>Only higher education is freshman year of pure math
>Won't graduate until 2020
>No certifications at all

All I have is a huge as fuck portfolio that worked with when I was a teenager and then in my uni days.

Now I work as a programmer earning good money. What is good is that even though the scope of the project is relatively big, I am the only one working on it. I am given specifications from higher ups and I just code away, no deadlines at all (there've been days that I literally sat there watching anime and youtube videos).

I can only begin to imagine how fucked up it is to write code with other people.

I have never had to write code alongside other people. However, I am building upon pre-existing code, but that guy is now working on something else inside the company now.

I'm glad that I took the self-learning route to programming, because I'm sure that I would have gotten terribly discouraged if I had been in a group with a complete moron, specially when I was inexperienced.

Now that I know my shit maybe it won't suck too hard to be next to a retard because I can carry my own weight but who knows.
>>
>>7965652
actually going to try out coursera and study software engineer, since I found out the biology pharm world sucks massive cock.
>>
File: git_logo[1].png (3KB, 325x325px) Image search: [Google]
git_logo[1].png
3KB, 325x325px
I'll just leave this here to trigger people who hate coding with other people.
>>
>>7966343
lol what the fug :D
mercury > git
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.