[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I can't understand what this guy wants

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: Words that hurt.jpg (91KB, 723x691px) Image search: [Google]
Words that hurt.jpg
91KB, 723x691px
Okay /sci/, I've got a problem.
I'm a second year masters student. I will be graduating in December if all goes well.

I have an ongoing assignment for one of my classes with a professor who is relatively new to the department. We'll call him K. He was brought in and promoted over the heads of several other individuals (including my adviser). My adviser and K do not get along very well, and have clashed several times in the last year.

This ongoing assignment has been a struggle from day one. It was supposed to be a group project--I was informed that I would have to work on it myself (essentially doubling the amount of work that would be required of me). I have applied myself as best as I know how, and even though it's a topic outside my expertise and that I'm relatively new to I've worked hard at it. I've met with him multiple times to make sure I have the project moving in the direction he wants it, and to try and correct problems before I hand in each segment.

Without fail, each time, he tells me that I'm on track, that it's looking good, so on and so forth. I hand it in, and then get back low grades (need at least a B to pass, and he keeps giving me 80's and 75's).

He told me to fix certain things in the first part of the project for an improved grade--I fixed the indicated areas, and resubmitted it. The project was returned to me with the same grade, my work "unacceptable" for unspecified reasons.

/sci/, I work hard. I'm a good student. This is really tearing me up. Why is he doing this? What am I missing?
>>
>>7963580
why dont you ask him to explain it
>>
You need to document this shit. The next time he does it, go to your advisor and then the dean cause this guy sounds like an asshat I had to deal with.
>>
It may be worth noting that I have shown my work to other students in the class who are doing well, and who I respect as good, hardworking, people. They have indicated that they're impressed with the level of work I'm producing and that they don't understand what I'm missing.
>>
>>7963584
I have. Comments include vague things like "This is still skeletal", which suggests he wants more content, but he won't specify beyond that.
>>
Talk to your Dean, or the director of your program.
>>
>>7963580
>(need at least a B to pass, and he keeps giving me 80's and 75's)

In what fucking world does grades that high translate to a B? What the fuck is the point of your retarded grade inflation? Can't you just use normal, meaningful systems?
>>
>>7963580
Some teachers are total dicks and enjoy their power trip while masturbating their complex fileld egos. There isn't much you can do.
>>
>>7963668
System he uses is pretty typical. 100-90 is an A, 89-80 is a B, 79-70 is a C, etc. I dunno man, no point chewing me out--I'm just trying to get through this.
>>
>>7963580
Bumping 99% dead thread
>>
maybe you are a dumb autistic aspie that everyone just panders to
>>
File: img_2_m.jpg (48KB, 560x315px) Image search: [Google]
img_2_m.jpg
48KB, 560x315px
>>7963580
Let me guess, you've never done any undergrad research and have never published?
The department is testing you. They want to see whether you're a good researcher or just a learner who can't think for himself. So far you've been extremely passive and not exploring relevant areas of study so that you can do revisions yourself and instead pester your project leader for every single detail. You better mend this or you'll never have a future in academia.
If not then just drop. You were never meant to go into grad school.
>>
>>7964914
I've published twice, and was the lead on several experiments in my undergrad career. As in, I designed the experiments and carried them out, overseeing the work of other people.

>implying I want anything to do with academia once I graduate
>Implying this is a research project and not a design project

Faggot.
>>
>>7965492
>lead on several experiments in my undergraduate career
>lead on
>several
>undergraduate career
Keep lyign to yourself. If you knew how to manage experiments you wouldn't have this problem right now.
>typical delusions of grandiosity from an experimentalist
Fucking typical
>>
>>7965601
>Designed the experiments
>Wrote the experimental protocols
>Carried out the experiments
>directed others on what to do on the experiments
>Was lead author on one paper, contributing author on the other
>Continuing to imply that managing experiments has dick all to do with this class
>"You have no research experience"
>"Hur you're lying"
>>
>>7965638
>can't apply his knowledge
>blames others for his shortcomings
>>
>>7965656
>original post is asking "what am I missing"
>somehow that's blaming others

The projection is real
>>
>>7963580
Sounds like he "wants" you.
>>
>>7965656
Holy shit anon I think you're just a salty little special snowflake. Wanted to call him out and now you can't give it up top cuck.
>>
>>7965601
>>7964914
>>7965656

Autism speaks.
>>
Report him for research misconduct.
>>
>>7965752
It's a class, rather than a research project. Otherwise, that'd be the way to go.

>>7965739
>>7965743
I love you guys
>>
>>7965881
you need to ask him for clarification as to what elements of your technical writing are still skeletal. stuff like that usually means you aren't going into depth about the implications of your results.
>>
>>7965888
That I can do. My adviser's advice (hue) was to kiss butt like crazy--play the "oh you're so wise, please show me where I'm going wrong so I can be cool like you" card. Stroke his ego a bit, find specific areas that set him off.

If I could give one piece of advice to younger me, it would be that ego will be a factor for everyone I ever work with forever.
>>
>>7965924
>"oh you're so wise, please show me where I'm going wrong so I can be cool like you"

Jesus Christ. Why are people in academia such faggots.
>>
>>7965942
Precisely why I can't wait to go back to industry.
>>
Damn
>>
>>7965946
is there any area in the industry where you can do academic tier research while not having to go through this faculty bullshit?
>>
>>7966080
Self employment. Sustain with your own funds.
>>
>>7966088
damn....
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.