[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have an interest in astronomy and physics and two sisters.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: Guardsman.png (35KB, 262x300px) Image search: [Google]
Guardsman.png
35KB, 262x300px
I have an interest in astronomy and physics and two sisters. One of my sisters says we shouldn't fund the space program beyond satellites because it's not worth the expense when we could use the money to help poor people, etc. The other says not to because "it's such hubris to just assume we should spread our race to other planets" even if the other planets are barren of all life.

What can I tell them to persuade them otherwise? Pic unrelated
>>
I have an interest in your two sisters.
>>
why don't you invite your 2 sisters to a 3 way video stream to discuss it
we can watch and leave helpful questions in the chat window
>>
>>7963355
First sister: Highlight to her that right now she isn't doing everything in her power to help poor people, therefore, she is a hypocrite. Case closed.

Second sister: Hubris according to whom? Why is it hubris? Argument doesn't make sense. Case still open pending further explanation.
>>
Imagine an apocalyptic event took place on the earth, whether it be meteor impact, catastrophic epidemic, etc. there are 2 possibilities:
We have not left the earth and we have left the earth before the events
If we did not leave the earth, our race would end. That's it. No more humans. If we had left the earth, we could carry on our species potentially until the end of time, or at least until the last star dies. That is why we should leave
>>
>>7963368
'tism award for you
>>
>>7963355
Tell your first sister that if she's so against the expense of satellites she should stop using GPS, cell phones, and internet, and go donate all of her money to Africans. Or she can realise that life is zero-sum, and having poor people exist helps the human race as a whole due to innovation (plus in most developed countries, in order to stay completely eat-out-of-garbage poor you have to deny yourself a myriad of prgrams and societal structures designed to help you, so go fuck yourself). Ask your other sister if it's "hubris" to better the lives of countless humans, or to sate the innate curiosity of said humans. Show both of them the fuckload of shit that has been invented by N.A.S.A. that improves standard of living every day. Ask them both if they would like it better if everyone just sat in the mud and died slowly because that would be "fair to nature." Then realize that you'll never actually change their minds, because the kind of person that actually believes the hippie garbage that they're spewing is the same kind of person that "thinks" with emotion instead of logic, and that they will continue to be self-righteous cunts even when completely eviscerated by logic. Then go crack open a beer and start learning how to aerospace engineer, my friend.
>>
>>7963387
Fuck, misread the OP. Oh well.
>>
On phone and can't make my own thread, but holy shit, the star Alphard dissapeared as I was looking, can anyone confirm?
>>
Post pics of sisters
>>
Tell them to shut the fuck up, that would be a start.
>>
>>7963355
Do armies even still use bayonets?
>>
>>7963355
>The other says not to because "it's such hubris to just assume we should spread our race to other planets" even if the other planets are barren of all life.

Even if it was such hubris, who the fuck even cares?
>>
>>7963355
Tell them that the future has always belonged to those who believed init. If they do not believe they will not be part of it. And get them to check world history - it is brutal.

>>7964304
>Do armies even still use bayonets?
Yes.
>>
>>7963355
>One of my sisters says we shouldn't fund the space program beyond satellites because it's not worth the expense when we could use the money to help poor people, etc

she's right. we could put space exploration on hold for another 100 years or so. the only reason some crazy hasn't bathed the earth in nuclear fire is because we all live on it. a non earth colony breaks MAD.

we humans have alot of getting our shit together to do before we should be worrying about space too much.
>>
>>7963373
>no more humans
How is this a bad thing?
>>
>>7966243
No more humans means no more you. If you consider it a good thing, might as well off yourself.
>>
Space programmes are a royal waste of money.
t. Physicist
>>
So you want to fight with your sister is what you telling us. Why bother trying to convince them other wise. Take you case to capital hill they are the ones who can release the gravy um money train. Pick your battles my friend.
>>
If you can't even think of your own reasons to support your side of an argument then why start arguing in the first place?
>>
>>7963355
why do you give a shit about your sisters opinions?
>>
>>7963355
Every single day, there is a very low but still non-zero chance of an event occurring which would cause the extinction of the human race, or at least planetwide collapse of society.

Every day we take our chances. Roll the dice enough times and you're bound to lose. Unless we move some of our eggs out of this basket, we will eventually become extinct, guaranteed. It's very nearly a mathematical certainty.
>>
>>7963355
First sister is right, it's a complete waste of time, effort and money.
Second sister is a mongoloid.

At any rate, I have an interest in your two sisters.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.