[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

IMO

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: IMO1.jpg (109KB, 559x871px) Image search: [Google]
IMO1.jpg
109KB, 559x871px
What's your opinion about International Mathematics Olympiad ?
Do you think you can handle some of these exercises ?
Since when, Romania is so good at math?
>>
>>7963135
I don't really have an opinion. I've taken a look at some of the problems but I've never had an intuition about how to solve them

above all it makes me insecure because i'm in the third year of my mathematics bachelor's degree and these 14 year olds are so much better than I am
>>
>>7963140
Don't be. Some of the problems at the IMO have been known to baffle even seasoned number theorists multiple times. The IMO requires a vastly different set of skills that you probably don't possess, which involve heuristics and problem solving skills that undergraduates don't normally come across in their college courses. What is a good Olympiad problem? Its solution does not require any other prerequisite except cleverness. Most of us aren't that clever, unfortunately.

Also, East-European countries have a rich tradition of competitive problem solving; USSR, Macedonia, Romania etc have performed very well at these mathematical tournaments as a result.
>>
I got into the qualifier for this when I was 18, 'UK Senior Maths Olympiad' or whatever it was. I scored 12/60 on the qualifier, it was pretty tough! Didn't make it any further than that. The amount of lateral thinking you need to do well on the qualifier is insane, I cant imagine what the actual thing is like.
>>
>>7963135
I went to the IMO in 2013, it was really fucking tough.
I only got 2 points, it fucked me in the anus. A mate of mine got bronce though, fucking bastard.
>>
>>7963140
>>7963341
Practice more and you will know how to resolve them. I know someone with won a medal at IMO. He was doing everyday math with his teacher.
>>
>>7963494

People seem these guys are geniuses, some of them are. But they don't see the gruelling amount of training and practice they do behind the scenes. They make it look easy, but what goes on behind the scenes would put the majority of people off. These guys are smart and have an elite work ethic.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.