[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gentlemen, I have a question. Does medicine count as a science,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: OP depicted.jpg (671KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
OP depicted.jpg
671KB, 1000x667px
Gentlemen, I have a question.

Does medicine count as a science, and if it is how pure do you believe it to be?

If you are in the field, what is the awesomest thing you guys have learned about/seen?
>>
>>7963094
>stethoscope
>clothed patient

>Child
>not crying like a bitch

>doctor
>without 1000 yard stare and hollow eyes.

way to glorify a shitty job.
>>
>>7963094
Science implies that you do, well science.
Doctors don't do science, they just look up what their patient has on google or whatever and prescribe medicine.

They're not looking for a truth using the scientific method, they have something better to do.
>>
>>7963116
why not?

have you ever heard of medical researches, labor tests, medical university?

+medicine is part of the nature

Shamanism, healing, etc is not science.
>>
>>7963156
It's called "biology", senpai
>>
>>7963094
>>7963156
Medicine =/= science

That said, doctors CAN do science if they get PhDs for example after their MDs. In that case, they will be doing research in a field of science (physics, chemistry, biology) but not medicine (medicine is just the name for a clade of applied biology).
>>
>>7963094
All I know is that premed students suck. They're why biochem has to be dumbed down and why it can never be turned into a more interesting course because they're too stupid for even biology itself, what they want to major in. Fuck premeds. They're all cancer, they infest the hell out of biology, and chemistry is no better. You still get some premeds in chem but at least they all seem to vanish after 2nd year or so. And to think these faggots are going to be in charge of examining a variety of patients and prescribing drugs when they always bitch about everything and can't learn for shit. It's also pretty obvious too which premed faggot will stay as a premed after graduating, too.

Tl;dr: fuck premeds
>>
>>7963103
That's most definitely a nurse. No MD would ever use a stethoscope when he could have lower-paid professionals do it for him
>>
>>7963116
>implying top consultants don't use a variety of diagnostic techniques combined with a detailed history to produce multiple possible diagnoses
>implying the average pleb could even take a proper history
>Implying doctors don't take part in producing scientific studies

You obviously have no grasp of how varied a doctors profession can be
>>
dat lil girl is cute tho
>>
>>7963362
i agree
>>
>>7963116
I hope that when you said look it up on google you meant that ironically and recognize that they actually have a Google-sized database in their brains.

And a couple of books laying around.
>>
There is a difference between practicing medicine and medical science.

Does your average doctor use science to diagnose and treat, of course; however it is often the case that someone else is doing most of the leg work for them. "Science" in the sense you are thinking is done by lab techs and nurses who practice biological sciences.

I work in clinical research doing studies on new pharmaceuticals. I am doing "science" on a daily basis and while it could be categorized as something other than medicine that would just be arguing semantics.
>>
File: srly.png (162KB, 261x263px) Image search: [Google]
srly.png
162KB, 261x263px
>>
Medicine is mostly just application of biology and chemistry. Like engineering is the application of physics and math and computer science.

There are medical studies that are usually done by medical practitioners, I guess that would count as science, but that's not necessarily "pure" science. It's just testing the products of the research of actual scientists. But yeah, it's science.
>>
>>7963421
Wew, what is your major?
>>
>>7963201
>That's most definitely a nurse.
What the fuck is a nurse doing with a stethoscope?

>he could have lower-paid professionals do it for him
He'll have no pay at all after his license is revoked because he relied on a nurse to do diagnostics she wasn't qualified to do.
>>
>>7963449

I graduated in Cellular and Molecular Biology.
>>
>>7963094
Medicine is a practice based in medical science.
>>
>>7963439

I understand your general point, but the last part of your post doesn't make sense to me.

How can you say a clinical trial isn't "pure science"? It's studying how a product (medicine, device, etc.) interacts with the human body and the illness in question. Data is generated as a result and then it is analyzed accordingly. Sounds like science/research to me.

By using your logic: the chemist/biomedical engineer who designs the new medical products is just testing the materials that someone else researched. You can move backward from there using the same logic until you arrive at discovery of the smallest subatomic particles being the only form of "pure science".
>>
>>7963103
pretty much this

you arent going to get that $200k + paycheck without dealing with a shit job. I used to want to be a doctor until I actually saw what it was like in hospitals. When it comes to sick people and american entitlement, you do not have a day off.
>>
>>7963497
Like I said it's science. Just not "pure" science, since that is what OP asked. The people who do these studies are participating in the scientific process. They are testing other people's research/products.
>>
>>7963532

I'm curious as to what your definition is of "pure" science vs "applied"?
>>
>>7963547
Not sure where you got that "applied" from in this context.
>>
>>7963094
medicine has a scientific component ,they do publish studies with legitimate statistical evidence but studying medical phenomenon is nowhere as 'hard' as lets say physics or chemistry .
the problem is that human bodies and incredibly complex and we know next to nothing about how they work and develop (relative to known, and extrapolated unknowns about it). there's so many factors from people's beliefs, feelings,environment,genetics and shitload other things that can fuck with your results even if you sample tens of thousands .

its a pretty regular occurrence that medical practices that have been done for decades by everyone are proven to do nothing for the patient or do nothing for the vast majority of them .there are however huge differences between different sub-fields of medicine .generally speaking the more 'chemical'(endocrinology and shit like that) your field is dealing the more hand-wavy it is , and the more 'mechanical' (surgery..) the more straightforward .

for example my father does that shit where you put a catheter in a patient's blood vessels and use it to free blockages and shit like that , totally straightforward 'unblock this shit and your heart gets blood' type stuff.

also a podcast about related stuff if you're interested
http://rationallyspeakingpodcast.org/show/rs-153-dr-vinay-prasad-on-why-so-much-of-what-we-know-about.html
>>
>>7963462
>not qualified to do
The fuck is a NP, anon?
>>
>>7963439
>engineering is a science
Wait what
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.