[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>a vector is something that has a magnitude and a direction

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

File: tumblr_mao7rghi1J1qmjon7o1_500.jpg (77KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mao7rghi1J1qmjon7o1_500.jpg
77KB, 450x600px
>a vector is something that has a magnitude and a direction
When will this meme end?
>>
>>7962318
It's a true statement in a context.
>>
>>7962318
But that's what it is.
>>
>>7962323
No. Vector spaces are on fields, which extends to more than just the reals/complex numbers.

>engiNERD detected
>>
>>7962326

To be fair, that's not what vectors meant at first; mathematicians generalized them later and didn't bother changing the name, but traditional 'vectors' should be considered a subset of 'generalized vectors'.
>>
Well you Can define a norm for every vector space so that's that.
>>
My college algebra professor defined a vector as a matrix with only one column.
>>
A vector is something that transforms as a vector.
>>
>>7962326
found the undergraduate
>>
>>7962318
Who is this semen demon
>>
>>7962318
>you can take the dot product between 2 vectors
when will this meme die? why cant we just learn about covariance and contravariance of vectors from the start?
>>
A vector is a mathematical entity with n components in n space
>>
>>7962570
thats a tuple you retard. the transformation rules make a vector
>>
>>7962577
pls no bully
>>
>>7962577
Lol you need to be told how many numbers are written there instead of simply counting them or using covariance laws!
>>
>>7962318
>a vector is an element of a vector space
Literally autism
>>
>>7962318
A vector is a spaceship in hyperspace
>>
>>7962364
No you can't. Normed vector spaces are somewhat special. What is the norm on the space of all real functions?
>>
>>7962318

When will this meme end?

When your mom stops being a scalar.
>>
>>7962669
Pick a basis for it using your maths voodoo and set the norm as the maximum of the coefficients. This is well defined because every vector is a sum of finitely many basis vectors.
>>
>>7962322
>It's a true statement in a context.

/thread
>>
>>7962867
>This is well defined because every vector is a sum of finitely many basis vectors
lol no
>>
A n-tuple is an object with n-components.

A vector is an element of a vector space.

A tangent vector at a point on a manifold is a derivation of the germ algebra of the manifold at that point.

A vector field on manifold is a smooth section of the tangent bundle of the manifold.
>>
>>7963212
Corrections:
>A n-tuple is an object with n-components.
needs to be ordered
>A vector field on manifold is a smooth section of the tangent bundle of the manifold.
The section does not have to be smooth
>>
>>7962440
I'm in HS m8 don't fucking call me that
>>
>>7962440
?
Vector spaces are only defined on fields.
Were you thinking of modules?
>>
File: what is this expression (1).jpg (240KB, 943x545px) Image search: [Google]
what is this expression (1).jpg
240KB, 943x545px
>>7962867
>This is well defined because every vector is a sum of finitely many basis vectors.
>there are people this stupid posting on /sci/ right now
>>
An element of [math] \mathbb{N}^3 [/math] has magnitude and direction to but it's not a vector.
>>
>>7963527
"A vector is something that has magnitude and direction" =/= "Everything with magnitude and direction is a vector"
>>
>>7962891
>>7963523
That's the literal definition of a basis.

http://www.math.lsa.umich.edu/~kesmith/infinite.pdf
>>
My tutor just says "a vector is an arrow"

good enough for me lads
>>
File: ezAvPrv.jpg (25KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
ezAvPrv.jpg
25KB, 480x360px
>>7963541
>finitely basis vectors
>links a PDF that demonstrates vector spaces with infinite dimension
What the fuck are you doing, retard?
>>
A vector is an ordered set of elements of the field, over which the vector space is defined.

I like thinking about them as linear maps moving each point by adding to it's components.
>>
>>7963555
>>7963523
>>7962891
Zorn's lemma implies the existence of a Hamel basis for every vector space, the basis may be infinite, but all vectors can be represented as a finite sum its elements, that's what he meant, you dumb shits.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basis_(linear_algebra)#Proof_that_every_vector_space_has_a_basis
>>
>>7963566
>all vectors can be represented as a finite sum its element
That's false lmao
>>
>>7963571
The basis may be infinite, but that's the exact definition of a Hamel basis, you're probably thinking about Schauder basis.
>>
>>7963571
There's not even a notion of infinite sums unless you already have a norm picked out.
>>
>>7963630

I'm telling you that there's no infinite sum involved, that's the main difference between a Hamel basis and a Schauder basis, just look it up.
>>
>>7963552
Keep the receipt.
>>
>>7963678
I'm agreeing with you -- check whom I replied to.
>>
>>7963678
are you confusing countable with finite?
>>
>>7962867
not necessarily finite. All periodic cont signals with period T can be represented as linear combinations of e^(2*pi*n/T), n in Z(fourier series). that set of e^(2*pi*n/T) forms a basis for all periodic functions with period T.
I wonder if fourier transform also can considered in the vector space perspective, im not sure as the basis has uncountably many elements
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schauder_basis
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.