/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Your hardest semester yet

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 12

File: 1456086760341.jpg (67KB, 480x371px) Image search: [Google]
1456086760341.jpg
67KB, 480x371px
What's the hardest semester you've had and why was it difficult ? I'll start with mine (I'm now in my 3rd bachelor year)
Computer Science, 2nd bachelor year, spring semester.

Courses :

Theory of computation : The teacher had no experience in teaching, this was his first year and he didn't seem to eager to do so either. The course covered many topics (set theory, graph theory, turing machines...) and every week we had graded problem sets where we were asked to provide proofs for difficult theorems on these subjects. The problem is many of us weren't familiar with these subjects and the teacher made no effort to cover the basics so it was an extremely time consuming and difficult course.

System oriented programming : This one was more dull than difficult,, the exercises were so boring a lot of people straight up skipped them and the graded sets were time consuming and uninteresting. It was one of those 3 credit courses that act like they're worth 6

On-chip architecture : This one was alright, mostly plug and chug

Reactive programming and parallelism : Alright now this one was horrible, every two weeks we had a new lecturer that covered a completely different subject, sometimes even in a new language we weren't introduced to, and our main language was Scala which is an overcomplicated mess.
Once again the graded homework were a bitch, but the exams were worse. In the final we had to program the game of life with actors in Scala, and this was like 30% of the exam that lasted 2 hours.

Probabilities and Statistics : This one was pretty good, the exercices were usually interesting and educative

Visual Computing : Pretty good as well, the biggest difficulty was that the lectures and the exercises did not cover the same matter at all, but other than that it was fine.

Humanities mandatory course : Whatever.
>>
>>7958599
that picture made me vomit
>>
>>7958607
http://crazy-teens-diary.tumblr.com/
Have fun
>>
>>7958599
My hardest year is still to come, it's going to be the second semester of my masters (so in 2017), I'll be taking:
>Modern QFT
>General Relativity
>Hamiltonian Dynamics
>Differentiable manifolds
>Algebraic topology
>Algebraic geometry

It's going to be hard because I didn't meet the prerequisites for any of them (except Hamiltonian Dynamics), and I've taken some hard math electives (which I think I'm going to regret since I did my undergrad in physics and have very little exposure to proofs other than what I've taught myself). Still, should be fun.

>>7958607
At least I'm not alone.
>>
File: a4be9147.jpg (429KB, 658x764px) Image search: [Google]
a4be9147.jpg
429KB, 658x764px
>pick some undergrad classes
>Differential Geometry, Elementary Number Theory, Graph Theory
>nothing else looks interesting in the course offering
>get into Grad Algebra I and Grad Analysis I to fill up the rest of my timetable
>very quickly realize those last two courses are a full workload on their own
>tfw people handed in 50+ page take-home finals for Algebra I
>>
>>7958609
Checked this shit.
I don't know what I expected
>>
>>7958632
>Differentiable manifolds
>Algebraic topology
>Algebraic geometry

Taking all of these in 1 semester is retarded for multiple reasons.
>>
>>7958632
>>Differentiable manifolds
>>Algebraic topology
>>Algebraic geometry
lol
>>
>>7958599
I'm taking Orgo 2 right now and I'm about to fucking kill myself because NMR MAKES NO FUCKING SENSE and this shit is worth at least 20 points on every midterm + final.
Fuck
>>
>>7959413
Is that bad?
>>
Jesus christ, what kind of gpa are you guys expecting out of those semesters?
>>
>>7959426
>NMR makes no sense

Time to drop out.
>>
>>7959426
How are you in your SECOND semester of orgo and you don't know how to interpret NMR spectra? That shit's like week 3 stuff. I actually tutor it if you want some advice.
>>
>Immunology
>Biochemistry II
>Signal transduction
>Physical organic chemistry (basically a physical chemistry approach to understanding organic chemistry reaction mechanisms)
>plus independent research and some core classes
I legitimately felt like I was going to die. It was the most stressful period of my life, and I seriously did nothing but sleep for the entire week after finals were over.
>>
>>7959440
Nah I survived orgo 1, I can get through this nonsense
>>7959444
My main issue is that the molecules that khan academy does are much less complex that the ones were given; and that as expected of an orgo class the professor is garbage.
Help me out familia I just want to get into pharm school.
Got any guides or flow charts to help?
>>
>>7959449
wowe
>>
File: 013335671X[3].jpg (135KB, 493x648px) Image search: [Google]
013335671X[3].jpg
135KB, 493x648px
>last semester
>have fluid mechanics with an ornery French guy who's autistic as fuck about how homework is presented
>also have machine design with a rather fun professor
>is basically an extension of mechanics of materials, do poorly out of a mixture of sucking at dealing with different equations for special cases and the homework being absurd (the school used pic related and my professor acknowledges it's shit)
>end up dropping it, currently retaking it with the same guy, not doing much better
>somehow I'm one of the 3 guys who aced fluid mechanics (out of 40-something), got a C in system modeling
>weirdly enough I'm doing considerably above average in the follow-up to that class

Close second is my third semester, I had Statics and Dynamics as my majors weedout class but it was materials science that got me (that my professor was named "Skaar" should've been a tipoff).
>>
Anyone here able to give a quick comment?

Topo. 1, Real Anal. 1, Diff. Eq., Math. Statis. at the same time doable?
>>
File: Hank laugh or vomit.png (211KB, 500x378px) Image search: [Google]
Hank laugh or vomit.png
211KB, 500x378px
>A bunch of popular music.
>Including by far and away the single most popular band in history.
>Normal people scare me.
>>
File: nmr1.gif (5KB, 630x297px) Image search: [Google]
nmr1.gif
5KB, 630x297px
>>7959451
My advice is to look at tons of example NMR spectra, which you'll find in just about any chemical paper. Also, try to remember the basic tenants of H NMR, with splitting and integration rules. Also, if you see a number of strong peaks in the 6-8 ppm region, those are *usually* hydrogen atoms on a benzene ring. I also used this chart to figure out what the chemical shifts indicated.
Also, you might want to use this site http://sdbs.db.aist.go.jp/sdbs/cgi-bin/cre_index.cgi
It's a Japanese site that has NMRs for a shitload of different compounds. You can enter in chemical shift values and it'll give you NMR sectra for compounds that are close to it. Hope that helps!!
>>
>>7959466
Is the last class intro stats? Either way should be fine
>>
>>7958632
>>Differentiable manifolds
>>Algebraic topology
>>Algebraic geometry
>All in one semester
>No background in any of them

HAHAHAHAHA! Good luck buddy.
>>
>>7959467
this is what 'irony' is these days
honestly embarassing
>>
I don't remember my hardest semester.

I remember my hardest class. You ready for this?

Honors General Chemistry I. It honestly fucking pains me to say it. I got a 5 on AP Chem, and walked into there like I was hot shit. Nope. Professor went to Caltech for undegrad, and Harvard for his PhD. Literally was THE leading chemist in his field. Homework would be at least 15 hours of work every week.

I got bitch slapped by that class so fucking hard, and had work my ass off to get a C. He "dumbed down" concepts by introducing us (1st semester freshman) to the particle in a box. It sucked because it was I really hated getting a C my very first semester of college, but I learn some very valuable lessons in that class.

It sucks because now I know I should have befriended the fucking guy instead of hating him. His research was really cool. I went to his office hours a couple times, and he was actually a great teacher once you finally got it through that he couldn't skip 5 steps of explanation at a time.

I still remember one particularly crazy homework question, it was when we were covering combustion, and went something to the effect of:

Suppose you have (mass) of (hydrocarbon) trapped under a hemisphere of volume (volume), and mass (mass of hemisphere). Ignoring limiting reagents, if you react the (hydrocarbon), what will be the velocity of the hemisphere?
>>
>>7958599
>hardest
>Theory of computation
>System oriented programming

retard detected
>>
>>7959468
I can interpret 1H and 13C spectra, basically get all the pieces. My problem is putting them together.
Also, how should I interpret splitting for an aromatic ring? For example a multiplit with 3 H signals with a shift between 8 and 7.
Definitely a tri-subsitutired ring right?
But what's the orientation?
>>
>>7958632
Lmao enjoy your eventual course in symplectic geometry. It'll murder you if you think that differential geometry and manifolds is difficult
>>
>>7959480
you'd actually expect to see three different H signals there, each integrating for 1 (all of them together integrating for 3). What you're getting into now is what's called "j-values". Basically, on an aromatic ring, it is possible for an aromatic hydrogen to be split by any other hydrogen on that ring. It's super difficult to explain in text without a visual aid desu, but here are two good guides:
http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~genette/NMRcoupling.pdf
http://www.unm.edu/~orgchem/304L%20pages/08%20Lab%201e%20Aromatics.pdf
>>
>>7959479
How is that retarded ? Theory of Computation proofs are just as difficult as regular mathematical ones. They cover a lot of similar subjects too.
As for system oriented programming it was probably about the kernel which is made of about 20 million lines of code, so there's enough complexity to find there.
>>
>>7959478
I had an eerily similar situation with multivariable calculus my first semester, except it wasn't an honors class. Prof didn't give a shit though, and I remember the second homework I laid off until the second to last day before it was due. I ended up spending ~20 consecutive hrs on it. I still ot a C in the class. He would assign the hard problems at the end of each section and then write up his own even more difficult ones.

Differential geometry a few semesters after that was a breeze though since we covered maybe a third of it in that calc class.
>>
>>7959478
>He thinks he had it bad
No, you didn't. I had Martin Head-Gordon, one of the founders of Q-Chem, as my Chem 1A prof.
I still pulled an A. You just suck.
>>
>>7959493
>Martin Head-Gordon was your professor
I am so jelly that you could throw me on a sandwich. I use like half of his shit in Gaussian.
>>
File: nmr.png (385KB, 865x516px) Image search: [Google]
nmr.png
385KB, 865x516px
>>7959487
So what orientation would this be?
>>
>>7959471
It's hard to explain. I wouldn't call it an intro, but no other statistics course is required for it. We have a bunch of specialized statistics classes depending on your major if you require statistics, but this one is a math specific class with a separate probability theory class as a prereq. I'm not too concerned about it though. If it would be fine with an intro, I'm sure I can make it work because I'm familiar with the professor. Thanks anon.
>>
>>7959502
Well, I can see that you've got an aldehyde thanks to the h nmr one at 10 and the C nmr peak at 200 (you've only got one oxygen, so it can't be a carboxylic acid), along with what I"m assuming are two different t-butyl groups, since you've got two separate singlets at 1 ppm, which likely means that they're in distinct chemical environments. It's difficult to tell what the splitting pattern is in the aromatic region like that desu. Do you have the actual spectra on hand?
>>
>>7959525
That's literally what the professor gave us. As in, that's his handwriting and all
>>
>>7959531
jeez, that blows. Good luck man
>>
>>7959548
He's a sadist and really takes advantage of the fact that my school is mostly business focused and the science program is an afterthought.
Thanks
>>
this year
senior math BA
Time Series and Operations Research are killing me
I literally need to pass them to graduate and I'm afraid I might not
>>
>>7958632
>fucking differential manifolds
>AT THE SAME TIME AS ALGEBRAIC TOPOLOGY
well I guess you already have a backgr-
>algebraic geometry

wew
>>
File: image.jpg (92KB, 766x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
92KB, 766x960px
>fall semester senior year

Get ready.

>advanced analytical chemistry (3 credits)
>biochemistry lab (2 credits, one 4 hour class/ week)
>analytical chemistry (3 credits)
>analytical chemistry lab (1 credit, two 3 hour labs/ week)
>Undergraduate Research (2 credit hours)
>old testament core class (3 credits)
>Calc 1, put off math till too late because I avoided like the plague till I started liking it (4 credits, three 2 hour classes/ week)
>Orchestra (1 credit, two 1.5 hour rehearsals/ week)

Total 19 credit hours

In addition to my courses I studied for and took the General GRE, Chemistry GRE, and a German competency exam so I could test out of my schools language requirement.

Furthermore, I wrote and edited 8 different applications, statements of purpose and multiple different personal history statements for applying to chemistry grad school. I also rounded up 3 LORs from professors which totals 24 submissions I needed to be on their ass about.

I contemplated throwing myself out my window a few times. Really wish I took more math early on because I really like it now. It should be illegal to give 6 hours worth of analytical lab a week for 1 credit. Who can top me?
>>
File: JUST gun.jpg (31KB, 456x320px) Image search: [Google]
JUST gun.jpg
31KB, 456x320px
>Analytical chemistry
>General Physics II
>Immunology
>Molecular Biology Capstone
>Honors History Seminar

>mfw
>>
My first semester was a complete disaster.

>universal algebra teacher was probably stoned the whole time
>programming was done with software that had to be run in DosBox and the class had success rate of beautiful 20%
>real analysis exam split over two days
>the first day was your typical math exam, compute this, solve that, if you pass, you get the time of your oral exam for the next day
>122 theorem statements together with proofs and more than 100 definitions for oral exam, pick one at random, good luck, if you don't get it, well sorry for crushing your education plans
>and also fucking mandatory swimming classes for everyone
>>
>>7958632
This is probably the best way to not learn anything in any of your classes.
>>
File: Geoffry Arend.jpg (19KB, 220x321px) Image search: [Google]
Geoffry Arend.jpg
19KB, 220x321px
>>7958599
Heat Transfer
Fluids II
Machine Design
CFD/FEA course
PDE's
Thermal Science Lab

i'm so fucking tired of Solidworks Simulations and MATLAB coding.
>>
Spring semester, second year engineering
>Intro to Fluid Mechanics
>Hydrogen Energy
>Mechanical Design
>Thermodynamics
>Diffy Qs
>>
I would say my hardest semester yet is the current one. Last semester of undergrad physics. I wouldn't say any of it is actually difficult, or that undergrad was difficult in general. There's so much work this semester though.

>writing an undergrad thesis (approx. 70 pages) which I've been working on for ~1.5 years
>2nd course in mathematical methods in physics (complex analysis, special functions, PDE's)
>some intro to higher mathematics class I'm taking b/c lack of electives in phys dept.
>a 2 unit lab class split into 2 once-a-week modules: 1st is based around the design and operation of an STM and AFM (heavy focus on noise reduction and whatnot), 2nd is experimental nuclear physics.
>some philosophy class with a hardass professor. easy but also easy to forget I have assignments due

My exp. nuclear physics class is basically worth 1 unit, but has the workload of a 4 unit class because "why not?" Mostly focused on detector technology, nuclear processes, secondary process, and signal interpretation. Lots of statistical analysis in a learn-as-you-go environment.
>>
>>7960940
This post made me laugh harder than it should have
>>
File: halp.png (201KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
halp.png
201KB, 1440x900px
>>7958599
anybros help with calc II?

I dislike webassign's nitpicky nature.
>>
>>7964330
>what are partial fractions
>>
>>7964340
not the procedure he made me follow. maybe the video is wrong
>>
>>7964344
If rewriting [math]\frac{x^3 + 2x}{x^4 + 4x^2 + 3}[/math] as [math]\frac{x^3 + 2x}{(x^2 + 3) (x^2 + 1)}[/math] followed by splitting the entire fraction into [math]\frac{ ... }{x^2 + 3} \frac{ ... }{x^2 + 1}[/math] is not doing partial fractions, I don't know what is.
>>
>>7959439

>gpa

D's get degrees friendo
>>
>>7964330
u-sub surprisingly works.
>>
File: 1450004471221.jpg (42KB, 495x636px) Image search: [Google]
1450004471221.jpg
42KB, 495x636px
>partner has had a lot of health problems recently, been taking her to/from hospitals and doctors last couple weeks
>today
>go in to quiz worth 5% of my mark
>probably got 0/5, maybe 1/5 if the marker is nice
>find out I missed an online quiz the sadistic fucks scheduled to be up over Easter weekend
>start riding home
>starts pouring rain
>rear fender of my bike falls off so muddy groundwater is splashing all over my back

Good news is it is before census date so I could drop this semester without incurring any fees. But then I do not know what I would do for this semester and it would push my graduation back by another 6 months.

I could try to keep going but it will be an uphill battle for this semester and even if I get through well I am going to fuck up my, until now, perfect GPA.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.