[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is High School Math such Bullshit?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

Why is high school math such bullshit /sci/? 90% of what you learn in high school you learn in Analysis I in the first semester of Uni - rigorously.

Why even bother? You don't really need it to study maths, and it's much less efficient than studying maths. They should abolish maths in high schools, or do it rigorously. The way it is now it's just a time-consuming clusterfuck that gives maths-interested people all the wrong impressions.
>>
Why is high school foreign language such bullshit /sci/? 90% of what you learn in high school you learn in Liberal Arts I in the first semester of Uni - rigorously.

Why even bother? You don't really need it to study foreign languages, and it's much less efficient than studying foreign languages. They should abolish foreign languages in high schools, or do it rigorously. The way it is now it's just a time-consuming clusterfuck that gives foreign-languages-interested people all the wrong impressions.
>>
>>7957131
heh, almost

But the foreign language stuff you learn in high school won't become obsolete in Uni. In maths it does.
>>
>>7957141
No it doesn't.
>>
>>7957183
Seriously. Try doing literally any hard science or engineering class with literally no knowledge of elementary algebra, geometry, and calc.
>>
>>7957116
You remember things better when you're exposed to them multiple times
>>
File: 1428484764301.gif (647KB, 450x660px) Image search: [Google]
1428484764301.gif
647KB, 450x660px
>>7957116

See >>7957198

The only problem with high school mathematics is that they spend too much time teaching the same shit without giving it any sort of foundation for future mathematical skills, leaving most freshman college students in over their heads when they start learning calculus.
>>
>>7957198
Try doing Baby Rudin "with literally no knowledge of elementary algebra, geometry, and calc." - You can!
>>
>>7957214
that's why I didn't include math, unless it falls under your definition of hard science. in that case i mean 'physical science'

baby rudin would be near impossible still though
>>
>>7957212
>in over their heads when they start learning calculus

What's there to be "in over your head" about? It's just, "Look here's numbers, put them in a row and call it series. Is there some number the series goes towards? Call it limit, and now you can have gradient in a point. Calculus, ta tah!"

This it how it should be taught. Instead high school is like: "look, here's differentiation, use it to solve problems of max and min. How? Just learn these bunch of rules by rote. Why? And why does it work? Don't ask, it's 'too hard to derive'". lmao
>>
>>7957220
>baby rudin would be near impossible still though

But it's not! It's entirely constructive! 100% possible by definition (in case you don't know what constructive means)!
>>
>>7957230
go give a smart middle schooler baby rudin

gtfo with that shit
>>
>>7957234
Oh, I see, now you want to argue the definition of smart. Go to an IQ thread for this.

As for maths, Baby Rudin requires no prerequisite knowledge, none whatsoever.
>>
>>7957240
i never said it was impossible to read rudin without hs math you moron

as far as im aware, rudin assumes the reader is familiar with the natural numbers, i think what you're aiming for is tao's book
>>
So if I take analysis, I won't be a brainlet anymore?
>>
>>7957294
You'll be surprised how trivially easy calculus becomes.
>>
>>7957294
Analysis should prepare you for calculus
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.