[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sci/, do you think telekinesis is possible?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: telekinesis.jpg (10KB, 500x302px) Image search: [Google]
telekinesis.jpg
10KB, 500x302px
/sci/, do you think telekinesis is possible?
>>
Yes, I think it definitely is, but I know it's not.
>>
>>7956387
Can you guess my next post with your ESP ?
You have 60 seconds.
>>
With neural implants it might be possible.
>>
>>7956395
>>>/x/
>>
>>7956387

Psychokinesis is a very inelegant technique. Directly altering objects is too complicated, so you need to indirectly alter them by changing EM fields to move them.

First, you must feel repulsing forces. Then, you must still your mind so the information in those sensations stops changing and can increase in definition through conatus. Now that the information of the repulsing forces is entangled with your mind, you need to change your mind to induce changes in the force and use it to move an object.

ESP is easier. You just keep a thought as frozen as possible and it will be in a state of higher completeness when it unfreezes.
>>
Move your head.
You now influenced the movement of every body in the universe through your head's gravitarional field. Congrats.
>>
>>7956387
I guess theoretically you can change the pressure/temperature of air to make objects levitate, but it would need to be extremely accurate. Nanobots are also another option, but they'd have to be light enough to fly and carry enough energy to control themselves.

Short answer; probably not in the near future, maybe once we're at timelord-status
>>
>>7956387
What process would transform the energy needed to move an object into usable energy? Where would this energy come from? Through what medium would it travel? You can't just have energy come from nowhere, be controlled by a process that transforms energy that is negligible to the system (thought), and have said energy move through an unconfined medium against the laws of thermodynamics. It would be like if you had a copper wire coated in rubber and tried to make electricity flow through the rubber instead of the copper by farting. It's absolutely preposterous.
>>
File: is that a raincoat alternate.jpg (61KB, 959x401px) Image search: [Google]
is that a raincoat alternate.jpg
61KB, 959x401px
>>7956387
Yes it is !!!
Not for humans though.
>>
>>7956502
>You can't just have energy come from nowhere, be controlled by a process that transforms energy that is negligible to the system (thought), and have said energy move through an unconfined medium against the laws of thermodynamics.
Congrats anon, you just gave a beautiful description of both chi gung and spiritual healing. Not sure this model relates to telekinesis though, but I have little experience of it. My sense is it is something more about the mind already being connected to everything. But I don't know for sure.
>>
>>7956387

Yes, "telekinesis" is possible. I think about moving my hand and it moves. In our natural state we can only affect (some of) our own muscles, though.
>>
>>7956387
Look at it this way:

Assumption 1: Telekinesis is possible.

That would mean it complies with the laws of physics. Of course, not everything that is possible in physics is also achievable by biological organisms, such as you. So let's assume physics doesn't mind this kind of thing AND there is no conflict between telekinesis and the chemistry that keeps you going.

Still, interacting with and moving things from a distance would likely be quite the evolutionary advantage - or else take up so much energy that it's just not worth it.

Assumption 2: It's cheap, i.e. The advantages it gives you are worth the additional energy cost.

This is crucial because otherwise it most likely would have been lost in evolution, and thus currently be unachievable for anyone (and anyone who claims they've got the ability to perform telekinesis is a filthy liar). Fortunately, we said it's cheap. That means telekinesis is an evolutionary advantage and thus likely an ability present in several species. Assuming you profit considerably from telekinesis, it should actually be quite frequent, possibly frequent enough for us to see it as natural and ignore it even when we see it. So how do we find it?

That's where physics comes back in. Newton's first law states that an object's state of motion does not change, unless a force is applied to that object, so you need a way to apply that force. Duh.
Physicists have found several ways to screw with the forces acting on objects, such as levitating frogs with magnets (dx.doi.org/10.1088/0143-0807/18/4/012) or moving tiny dielectric beads with lasers (just google optical tweezers). With that in mind it seems natural to assume that the last four billion years of evolution might have at some point resulted in a system for ranged interaction.
>>
>>7957455

So why don't we have lasers or magnets growing from our heads? Simple, those devices violate Assumption 2. The magnetic field necessary to levitate a frog is 16T, almost twice of what a MRI device uses. Optical tweezers with mW lasers can generate forces in the pN scale.

Now let's just take a few steps back and look for less sophisticated methods, crude but effective. Nature likes that. Instead of using fancy magnets to move that apple you need to find another way if you want to eat. A way so obvious and natural – almost primitive, really – that you would not even notice the marvelous ability for ranged interaction evolution has gifted you with. Use your hands.

That's the conclusion, sorry. There is no supernatural, everything that can happen must comply with the rules of nature. That includes telekinesis, you'll have to live with what you have. Snipping your fingers and having stuff float around would require magic. Though, as Clarke's third law states: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Energy consumption becomes less of a problem as we become capable of generating more energy, thus eventually rendering Assumption 2 moot. The first steps of augmentation of human bodies are but a few decades away (depending on the stubbornness of moralfags). Look forward to the future.
>>
>>7956406
>ESP is easier. You just keep a thought as frozen as possible and it will be in a state of higher completeness when it unfreezes.
wtf r u talkin bout m8
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.