[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help me understand

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: images.jpg (7KB, 146x137px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7KB, 146x137px
Help me understand /sci/
im failing my math class

so im trying to grasp this logic when converting decimal to binary

>If you look at the chart, you’ll notice a relation to the numbers. Starting with 2, each number is double the number to the right of it. If you can remember this chart, you are over half way there. So now pretend you have a decimal number like 190 that you need to convert to binary. To convert it, you need to find the numbers in the chart, starting from the left, that will add up to 190. For starters, we know that 128 will fit in to 190 so let’s mark that one off with a one.

>Think of it like playing blackjack. You want to get to 21 but you never want to go over. So keep adding numbers left to right until you reach the correct number, if you go over, skip that number. Adding 32 brings us to 160, add 16 and that gives us 176. We’re still not over so keep going

What does it mean when? 128 goes into 190 exactly? I get that 128 is smaller and can fit into 190 yes, but theres 62 left over

>The next number, 64 won’t fit. That would add up to 192 so we’ll mark that one with a zero.

Now 64, in my logic does fit into 190 with 126 left over

Think of it like playing blackjack. You want to get to 21 but you never want to go over. So keep adding numbers left to right until you reach the correct number, if you go over, skip that number. Adding 32 brings us to 160, add 16 and that gives us 176. We’re still not over so keep going.

adding 32 brings us to 160? what equation is he using ? adding 16 gives us 176 ... where did he get the 16 from?

What is the most simplest way of me learning this /sci/ help no dont accuse me of troll im not good at math
>>
>>7955085
Let's start simple.

Say you want to convert 10 in a binary.
In binary it is 101
You take 10 and check if 8 fits inside it. It does so write down
Then you're left with 2. Go to the next binary number which is 4. Does 4 fit in 2? No. Add a 0 to the previous 1 you marked down.
Go down a binary number again which is 2. Does the binary 2 fit in the remaining 2 that we have? Yes. So mark a 1 at the end.

So we have 101

Also how old are you? This should be highschool material.
>>
>>7955085
Every digit of a binary representation represents a power of two, counting from the right. The rightmost digit is 2^0, next one is 2^1, etc. So you're trying to add up numbers of the form 2^n to get 190. You need to start by looking for the biggest one because you're only allowed one of each power (remember you can only have 0 or 1 in each place).

The biggest power of 2 that will fit into 190 is 128 (2^7), so that place has a 1. 62 is left. The biggest that will fit into that is 2^5, so put a one in that place. etc. etc.
>>
>>7955140
I didnt do math in high school, i just got into college now, thank you for explaining im 24, im an idiot
>>
I haven't actually had much of a reason to convert decimal to binary. We talked about it "once" in a programing course.
That said, I just converted 3 four-digit integers into binary for you to see if how I'd do it works. The most direct method of doing it is writing the powers of two out from left to right, and then going back from right to left and just narrowing down the powers you actually need through trial and error. If you add that power to your total, put a one over it. If you skip it, put a 0.

So 1787.
>the power after 1024 is too big. Stop writing powers here.
>Take 1024.
>Take 512. (1536)
>Taking 256 would give us 1792, skip it.
>take 128 and 64.
>We now have to make 59 from the first 6 powers of 2.
>quick guess and check shows you get it by taking them all except 4.
>So, 110111 11011

>>7955146
Don't call yourself an idiot. Just practice. It took the species centuries to come up with this stuff. You're not going to get it over night.
>>
>>7955140
ok first off, 10 is 1010 not 101 that's 5, you forgot to add the 1 which is important.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.