[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is psychology even an actual science?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

Is psychology even an actual science?
>>
no, but worshipping shit as "science" is fucking retarded.
>>
>>7954974
It is if you make a hypothesis first. It doesn't even have to be valid, it just has to be a hypothesis.
>>
>>7954974

It's as much of a science as economics.
It's effectively an analysis of tends and the attempted application of the findings of said analysis.
>>
>>7954974
>propose hypothesis
>test it
>argue that it was right or wrong
>repeat

Its not hard to be a science.
>>
It's a weak science.
>>
>>7954977
>t. social """science""" major
>>
>>7954974
It fits the critera for a science. However, there are only 3 hard sciences, the rest like economics or psychology would be soft science, as proved by their lack of sufficient reproducibility.
>>
>>7954974
Psychology is a legitimate science, but most "psychologists" don't know shit about science.
>>
>>7956420
Do you mean therapists in your scare quotes? if so I might agree
>>
>>7956397
I hope you mean maths, philosophy and physics.
>>
Of course it is.
why would it not?
>>
>>7954974
Ye, its just in its early stages.
A psychologist told me once that its basically the way medicine (humanmedizin) was at around 800-1200 AD. Seemed to me to be a good way to put it.
>>
>>7957182

This. There's no reason we can't or shouldn't scientifically study the mind. We're just not very good at it yet.
>>
>>7957187
>We're just not very good at it yet.

Care to elaborate?
>>
>>7957202
If you head off to a doctor with broken bone he'll fix it most of the time.
If you had of to psychologist with a broken "soul" he'll fix it some of the time.
>>
>>7957202
we haven't figured out a 1:1 model of the human brain.
>>
>>7956386
First day here? fuck off, kid
>>
>>7956839
I think he means that they don't know shit about controlling experimental parameters. But they do in fact apply the scientific method.

>>7957182
>>7957187
This is true

>>7957202
Statistical methods, undefined and interchangeable terminology, lots of room for ideological bias, and a lot of people that don't know the difference between a psychotherapist and a research psychologist.
We haven't actually understood on a fundamental level the correlation between mind and brain. We just have a dense network of correlations which still don't add up to causation, meanwhile lots of money is going toward dumping drugs on people to counteract the other drugs they didn't need.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.