[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is chasing a passion worth it, if passion=physics?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 1457096314063.gif (316KB, 450x410px) Image search: [Google]
1457096314063.gif
316KB, 450x410px
Can I even live decently if I go for a physics degree unless I get a job in an institute of CERN's magnitude which is near to impossible unless you're a fucking genius?
>>
>>7954376
Just go work for a physics factory when you graduate.
>>
>>7954376
bumb :DD
>>
>>7954390
>tfw local math factory isn't hiring
fml
>>
File: 51IjORMFLkL.jpg (37KB, 331x500px) Image search: [Google]
51IjORMFLkL.jpg
37KB, 331x500px
Go read "So Good They Can't Ignore You"
>>
>>7954376
>near to impossible unless you're a fucking genius
Not even remotely true. You know how many people work at CERN? Thousands. Mostly engineers and people who know about data acquisition. Very few people there are actually particle physicists (well, more there than anywhere else, but as a potion of the total CERN population it's small).

There are tons of other places around the world just like CERN that are working on completely different physics. You can like decently if you work at those places. I've never heard anyone complain about their job working at a large laboratory.
>>
there are supervisory positions over engineering departments at random firms for physicists, chemists, nuclear engineers, etc. and that's just for bachelors.

just get your PhD and you'll find a job with near certainty.
>>
>>7954376
Can you live happily if you don't? Even if you don't get your dream job, having that degree means you have an opportunity that you might not get any other way. Whether it pans out isn't the question to ask yourself. Your choice is a life where you have it and a life where you don't, and if you're realistic about the future, you're going to find work either way, so don't ask it as if your future economic status was knowable.
>>
>>7954444
OP here, well yeah I agree that my future cannot be known but if I have a goal and my plan is to reach that goal, I would at least like to know if it will be worthwhile.
I'm not in it for the money but unfortunately I don't plan on supporting myself only, so this kind of a profession doesn't seem worth it in averages.
You know how there's averages of what a certain profession earns... that's what I meant.

On the other hand physics is the only thing that really actually interests me so I guess I just have to go with it and hope for the best..
>>
>>7954581
>go with it and hope for the best
It also doesn't hurt to have a backup plan, but there are no second chances with life happiness.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.