[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

are social insects smarter than we give them credit?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: Bee-apis.jpg (459KB, 1000x668px) Image search: [Google]
Bee-apis.jpg
459KB, 1000x668px
i have noticed something odd over the past 2 years. it seems bees (large carpenter bees) are working with hornets and wasps

i know it sounds crazy . my back yard is kinda big. and spring and summer seeing them isnt uncommon. its a constant while its day time

but these past 2 years when i kill a carpenter bee

(i do it because they make holes in wood and i would rather it not be my house they tear into. i only do it when they try to make holes in stuff to close to the house)

anyways when i kill a carpenter bee a hirnet or wasp always flys by about 20 seconds later. i have seen a carpenter bee fly by after i kill one and fly over the house and like a minute later return with a wasp following it and it gets really close like "hey your the one that killed my bud right? prove me right by taking a swing" and the wasp is just watching me. when i do nothing they fly off really slow wandering about then dart off over the house like "he must be some where lets get him"

its kinda odd. i know you want meme tire stuff like the em drive and you probably think this is more /x/ than anything but its creepy they never did this before and i have been killing them at this house for a decade with a broom handle. i pretend i am a samurai. i can do it when i find my center and relax
>>
Get psychiatric help
>>
Not really. Bees are smart fuckers and they constantly coordinate. I doubt about the wasps though. Not that they aren't smart, but they don't give a shit about bees and usually attack them. They don't make honey either so they got no stake in protecting bee flocks.

Still, it might be a general bee territory and a dead bee might be triggering the fellow antenna fuckers. You should just get about 5-10 chameleons and place them around the strategic corners. They go through bee and hornets like butter.
>>
>>7953768
Your last paragraph greatly discredited your validity, so let me rephrase your post.

>Bees, wasps, and hornets have interactions
>Such interactions are possible social communications between the species
>A communiction means a bond between to subjects.
>Ex. Bee dies, wasp inspects.
>ex cont. If wasp determines source thats killing off bees, wassbeehornets will retaliate
Are bees, hornets, and wasps more social than previously believed?

>my personal input
>bees have been dying to pollution
>bees reach out to similar species to help them survive
>ayylmaos start dumping their trash on earth
>humans reach out to apes to help them survive
>>
I studied crickets as a model organism for animal communication regarding acoustics and pheromone interaction as they relate to aggression and courtship as an undergrad. It was pretty cool stuff, but I'm not an ecologist.

If I were to stick with ecology and entomology though, I'd want to work with bees. Sadly I'm allergic, so there goes that.
>>
Take a swing next time.
>>
i had a wasp nest in my last apartment block a few years ago
really strange, none of them ever went for me but i had scores of dead ones between my blinds and the window
i would see them flying around the apartment but they were all really ambient, like they were not afraid of me because it was their turf, just ignoring me completely and in no way acting the way wasps usually do when they are trapped indoors

before that happened i really hated wasps and used to ask people why they exist, now i'm ambivalent
>>
>>7953768
Everyone thinks animals are robots but they are capable of thinking. Animals adjust all the time, the easiest example being Pavlovian conditioning.
>>
>>7954022
This. Fighting wasps fist to stinger is key if you want to survive OP.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.